• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work in media, and one thing that SF could do is carefully vet the appearance of the ads. I'm all for advertising -- it's our lifeblood -- but there has to be a balance, and once banner ads or fireplace ads etc. become a distraction for readers, it's time to reconsider that balance.

IMO, the Hanger Project ad is a distraction. It should be redesigned, and tested on all platforms and devices first.

But i do get what Fok is saying about "native" content and ads. They go hand in hand.

Now, if only TOJ had advertised on SF...:angry:

MS007

Reaction score

...so opinions (not rants) are welcome.

What about the following:

Replace every post by someone on my blocklist by an ad. In my case, it would easily take up 70% of the screen for hirshs posts alone and I would happily read through those ads thinking thank god for hangers project, it saved my eyes from another pink on pink shirt or a close up of an allergic reaction.

Raindrop

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's amazing how the Hanger Project ad effectively convinced me to install AdBlock on Chrome because it's so distracting.

If the Hanger Project ad was a covert advertisement for AdBlock, it achieved its purpose.

Last edited:

TWorksheets

Reaction score
Not really sure where to post this, but can anyone point me towards a cream/off-white coloured hoodie? Minimal branding ideal. This WTAPS version is perfect but sold out at Haven and the Soloist one is $1000+

Last edited:

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Honestly, as a private citizen, I have no issues with older members who contribute a lot using adblock. That said, would you guys be adverse to a reasonable subscription to have an ad free service for those members? I honestly dunno what a reasonable rate would be. Our quants would work that out. Just looking for something opinions in general. I meet with our revenue partners on Tuesday, so opinions (not rants) are welcome.

One way to see it is that people are providing content that make the site interesting for other people. I don't see myself paying to provide content. I also don't feel any sort of moral obligation to subject myself to ads, here or anywhere else. Of course I know we're (not talking about sf specifically) now halfway to a blend of ad and content that isn't really reassuring but that can hardly be blocked piecemeal.

Last edited:

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anybody have experience Officine Generale shoes?
Looking at a pair of chelseas but have no idea if a 44 would fit me (I'm a 12 in Nike, 11.5 vans, 45 achilles, 44 bball hi, 45 W+H hi tops...all over the place).
Or better yet, anybody seen bigger sizes in the Diemme "Verona" chelseas? Only found them on End and only size 7.

Last edited:

Ecco

Reaction score
What is the fit like on Junhashimoto boots? I really like their shape.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Just looking for something opinions in general.

For me, it's not seeing the ads that's the problem, it's the unscrupulous forces that drive them, the way they collect you, profile you, store you, and sell you. Often hidden, and with no oversight. Not to mention the risk they pose to your digital property should you happen to click on the wrong ad (or, more likely, when it decides to click on itself for you).

I don't know why seeing ads is being presented as the problem. It's not. If that were the case -- if it were a just minor, temporary annoyance, rather than a genuine risk -- I would gladly disable the following:

Noscript
AdBlock Plus
Ghostery
Https Everywhere

But for right now, I can click on any one thing that Ghostery blocks and read, in detail, of the massive corporate interests behind it, and the shitstorms of abuse they love to inflict, without anyone's knowledge or consent.

But yeah...big coat hangers are also annoying.

Last edited:

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meh, most of the tracking that happens on the big ad networks, which Styleforum runs on, is absolutely harmless.

The only stuff it collects is for the purpose of showing you more relevant ads, which seems like an obvious win/win for everyone involved to me.

https://www.google.co.uk/settings/ads

There's a lot of paranoia about online tracking, the vast majority of which is completely unfounded.

Advertisers don't give a **** about your Appreciation habits, they just want to know that they're spending their money reaching people who are going to be interested in the product they're selling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads