• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

futuresailors

Reaction score
I'm all for maintaining an open mind about this type of thing, but it's freaking advertising, mate. You may find it particularly fascinating but no, I don't feel I'm being at all held back by my lack of desire to see a 3D pop-up about the next must-own pair of jeans.
It's not the ads themselves that are fascinating; it's how advertisers are collecting implementing data.
You see an ad for a pair of jeans, but that ad is also telling you that some company recorded that you searched for a specific pair of jeans at 10:58 on 10/19 and are now using that single data point to sell you stuff.
I mean, I still have adblock because it creeps me out, but it seeing those targeted ads is a chilling reminder that skynet is watching you.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate the Gustin ad where it says something like "we don't use celebrities or fancy ads, we just make the highest quality american denim, etc." Way more annoying regular ads.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^ Do you have any recommendations for good british moleskin trousers/makers? I have a forest green pair from Gurteen that are so heavy that I often get too warm indoors are can skip long-johns when its -10 c .... Wouldnt mind some nice black ones.

Cordings supposedly make the nicest, but they're at the dearer end. Hoggs of Fife are good value and wash well, so unlike the dry-clean only ones some companies sell are actually practical for wearing on a muddy country walk. Barbour aren't bad and do some in slimmer cuts.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well I care about the large issues, not the technical and design aspects of ads so it works for me. I don't know if it works completely but I probably don't leave much of a trace when it comes to being tracked due to some measures I took and a variety of other factors. On the other hand I post uncensored pics of myself on public forums.

Lol. At least you understand how futile and funny it is. And pretty much anything is an in. For example, for any website, you can't hide your device or browser or OS if you want it to be served up properly. You look at a few websites, and if they are at all affiliated, or if you look at anything geographically relevant, well, I'm sure you know how it goes.

Last edited:

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

So since +J didn't bring back the shawl collard cardigan anyone got recommendations for something similar? I really liked the brown color and also liked that the shawl wasn't super large and I could wear it popped up and it stayed up. Also I'm not paying $600 for a knit.

I'd pay anything for something I wanted, even if it increased my debt load- I'm so ill it doesn't matter any more
1f60a.png
1f431.png
1f431.png

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have Adblock and don't watch TV but I do watch the NFL and if I see that damn JJ Watt school dance commercial again (and I love JJ Watt) I will take Bill Hicks' advice:

[nsfw for language]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

Reaction score
^May as well load up the credit cards since youre (hopefully) going to die soon

That's pretty fucked up/malicious du. I mean it's one thing to tell someone to shut the **** up and tell them to stop posting but it's another to wish death upon them.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That's pretty fucked up/malicious du. I mean it's one thing to tell someone to shut the **** up and tell them to stop posting but it's another to wish death upon them.

I agree, but I also like that this post came immediately after nicelynice's Bill Hicks video.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
random house related thought and would appreciate some feedback, trying to find the right spot for this thing
no flash & lights off

its a bit big for that corner nook and just doesn't look right in there so trying out this middle spot and looking for some unbiased feedback, really unsure if it looks obtrusive here or not

we could try it out on other floors but were thinking of this one when we got it, also short matte black base or no base?

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is that your place? It looks nice.

I don't really like how it looks as you're descending from the stairs, but it looks nice at the floor level since it helps break up the wall. Personally, I think you'd do better with a large painting at that space -- wide and tall enough to help break up the wall, but doesn't stick out so much that it looks obtrusive as you're walking down the steps.

Last edited:

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good grief that lace looks awesome

sorry, no good advice on where to place that, uh, item

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads