• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Instead of a cash tip you should leave them a coupon for a free examination after you graduate from med school.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My med school friend told me at a med school party in a public bar some of his classmates refuse to talk to you unless you are a doctor or a doctor in training.

"So what do you do?"
"Oh I'm an engineer"

*walks away*

This is at a state school. Makes you wonder about HMS

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

Notwithit is a cornell grad?

What you have against red brah?

Yep, aught-four.

Nothing against red in general, just some shades of red - like Big Red red - can be a little harsh to the eye, especially combined with white. Not really sure what I'd wear with it, although I'd probably get it anyway.

Oddly, I don't know that I'd get one if it was a Princeton shirt. Aside from the obviously ugly colors - black and orange - they're the only Ivy that my boat never beat. When you win a race, you get the other guy's shirt (whoever's sitting in the same seat as you in the other crew's boat), so I feel entitled to wear a Harvard rowing shirt if I damn well please. I'd feel kinda weird about wearing a Princeton shirt, though, since I never "earned" the right to wear one.

Obviously, someone with no connection to rowing could care less* who's whose shirt it is.

See what I did there? :smarmy:

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you did it wrong. it's you couldn't care less.

geez. i expected more from a dude with an ivy league degree

Last edited:

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score

Went out to eat with classmates for someones birthday. I definitely appreciate the cheapo sentiment people on SF have for medstudents. Itemized a 12 person bill at a 15 dollar an entree place. HOW CHEAP IZ YOU SON!? And that was after she brought the check out. I ended up having to pay for the bday person (cuz who is gonna ask to split the already split bill AGAIN) and i felt so bad i left a fat tip.

God i hate my classmates.

I just hate med school in general.

aren't literally all of your clothes cheap yohji from ebay or random italian brands from yoox? that's the fashion equivalent to splitting a bill.

maybe your classmates don't want to take $75,000 a year in loans?

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

aren't literally all of your clothes cheap yohji from ebay or random italian brands from yoox? that's the fashion equivalent to splitting a bill.

maybe your classmates don't want to take $75,000 a year in loans?

Are you math stupid? The difference in the bill even if someone bought something 20 dollars more expensive than everyone else comes out to <2 more dollars. Even if you do that every weekend that only would be ~192 more on your tuition. (2 dollars extra * 2 days for both days of the weekend #living it up, * 4 weekends in the average month * 12 months). That's less than a 1% increase on your loan assuming the final total is 75000. Even if its 50k that's still less than 1%.

Also buying from eBay or yoox is only remotely like splitting the bill. I am sure you can give some tenuous reasons as to how its similar, but that tends to be the strength of humanities majors. Making weak links and strutting them like good arguments.

The point is you are an asshat. And you are a hypocrite since you routinely sell on B/S and I am sure have bought things on sale or from other sellers on SF...

Last edited:

dfagdfsh

Reaction score

Are you math stupid? The difference in the bill even if someone bought something 20 dollars more expensive than everyone else comes out to <2 more dollars. Even if you do that every weekend that only would be ~192 more on your tuition. (2 dollars extra * 2 days for both days of the weekend #living it up, * 4 weekends in the average month * 12 months). That's less than a 1% increase on your loan assuming the final total is 75000. Even if its 50k that's still less than 1%.

Also buying from eBay or yoox is only remotely like splitting the bill. I am sure you can give some tenuous reasons as to how its similar, but that tends to be the strength of humanities majors. Making weak links and strutting them like good arguments.

The point is you are an asshat. And you are a hypocrite since you routinely sell on B/S and I am sure have bought things on sale or from other sellers on SF...

the point is you're complaining about people taking steps to save money, which is hypocritical.

and considering the price of medical school, and how loans are determined (tuition + cost of living), taking measures to save money can make a dramatic impact on future loan totals. I might just be a humanities major, but I imagine that $192 might become a little bit more with 30 years of interest?

Last edited:

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
oh good, this...

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the point is you're complaining about people taking steps to save money, which is hypocritical.

and considering the price of medical school, and how loans are determined (tuition + cost of living), taking measures to save money can make a dramatic impact on future loan totals. I might just be a humanities major, but I imagine that $192 might become a little bit more with 30 years of interest?

I might have done this a bit liberally since I didnt bother compounding so poo poo to me....

The point is you are making a stupid argument and should have thought about what you were about to say before you said it.

Last edited:

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
also late to the minimum/restaurant wage argument/discussion (which I don't really care about either way..), but this is a hilarious quote for a lot of reasons

"Anybody trying to have a family on minimum wage needs to have their head examined," said Jan Fogel, a 47-year-old part-time dog sitter and print broker in Seattle. Based on her experience working in a pizza parlor when she was 18, she believes jobs waiting tables are stepping stones to the adult world and don't deserve a $15 per hour rate, plus tips."

dfagdfsh

Reaction score

I might have done this a bit liberally since I didnt bother compounding so poo poo to me....

The point is you are making a stupid argument and should have thought about what you were about to say before you said it.

first, that's not the calculator you're looking for. second, being frugal in general (including apportioning restaurant bills) is a smart choice in general, because it can mean the difference between 14,000 a year in "living expenses" and 8,000 a year. it's part of a lifestyle which can pay big dividends when you look at how student loan repayment works.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was in Selfridges a couple days ago on the menswear floor, some kid was looking around the Givenchy section with his parents, wearing an A$AP ROCKY tee. Trying not to laugh was pretty hard.

I wonder why this story automatically made me think of Jameister...lol.

I don't want to :stirpot: but my understanding of the general point is 1) no one likes to waste money or spend unnecessarily (if you're fabulously wealthy you probably don't care) 2) taking convoluted and perhaps socially awkward steps to save yourself 1 or 2 bucks is silly 3) it's even sillier when you are going to be a doctor or lawyer regardless of the ******* interest on $1.52. Lastly if it's that goddamn important to you should just not go out lest you may spend an extra dollar.

this actually happened to me in law school where a classmate and I ordered some carryout Thai food. I owed him about $14.50 lets say and I had $11 or a $20 so I said "hey I can give you the 11 and get you back after class tomorrow or just give you $15 tomorrow or whatever." he says "are you trying to rip me off?" I'm like wtf? now for the record I did not know this guy that well but what ended up happening is we actually drove to 7-11around midnight to get this tool exact change.

jfc. the guy's parents live in a PCH home in Malibu and his father is an agent at CAA. some people are just cheap, stingy bastards.. haven't spoken to him since.

@Tegs... I don't think those extra dollars on splitting bills here and there will make the difference between $14K and $8K... come on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads