• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

DividedWay

Reaction score
Yet when you ask the waiter about wine, you appreciate the fact that the job isn't minimum wage- because those jobs have massive turnover, and you don't want a waiter who doesn't know **** about the offerings. If you're paying $450 for a dinner, you don't want mcdonalds level customer service.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:lol:

You'd probably be pretty unhappy with a waiter who is mentally slow, unskilled, and ill disciplined and would probably never go back to the restaurant again

I buy and sell slowly, and it's about the only outlet I have. As for other stats, I was political science with a 3.78 GPA from u. Wash. Seattle.

As for living wage, yes, everyone else is. Bumping up minimum wage increases spending and economic activity, which means that businesses make more money. Keynesian economics - it works.

I wanna see what happens when you go to CE

:lol: at the last statement

Last edited:

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I buy and sell slowly, and it's about the only outlet I have. As for other stats, I was political science with a 3.78 GPA from u. Wash. Seattle.

As for living wage, yes, everyone else is. Bumping up minimum wage increases spending and economic activity, which means that businesses make more money. Keynesian economics - it works.

Ill PM you my questions because idk if thats something ok to really discuss openly on a forum. But briefly, I did not go into poli sci specifically because unless you are at a top 10 school, know someone, or get an amazing chance to show some skills that are usable, its hard to really distinguish yourself for anything. Its the same danger with law. Graduates at schools like northwestern have trouble getting jobs just because the quality jobs get poached by top 3 students, connects, or students that were both hard working AND able to get a solid chance to demonstrate that.

You know to be honest I do find myself asking from time to time if the intellectual difference (assuming one even exists) between me and the average person really justifies a difference in pay/lifestyle to the degree that exists. Is that really just or fair? And how do we even deal with something like that. I do truly feel bad, and I guess my attitude towards take out tipping is a little dickish. I definitely have become less caring over the course of medical school :embar:

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You'd probably be pretty unhappy with a waiter who is mentally slow, unskilled, and ill disciplined and would probably never go back to the restaurant again

His statement is debatable but it's supported by a very large number of economists at top schools so it's hardly deserving of ridicule. It's the same reason the US government dished out huge tax refunds during the recession.

DividedWay

Reaction score

Ahh yes, classical economics. Who could argue with it when Greece and Spain are doing so well while the Japanese economy flounders for the first time in decades.

Urthwhyte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
114 posts since 9AM. Clicked through wondering if Schneider or Geller or some other SF favourite had died.

Nope. Just Tipping.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're an idiot if you think the world is divided into the binaries of classical and Keynesian economics when both sides are divided into so much more

Between 2008 and 2010 there was a large coalition of economists who felt that Keynesian economics actually worked but that coalition has long since dissolved and fractured. US and European policies no longer really affect such views.

I do think tipping would go away if minimum wage was like $15. You don't really tip out of gratitude or reward for service. Studies show you tip out of guilt but people like to say as reward for performance (even tho performance and tip amount has poor correlation)

superego

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So the other kids - the 90% - someone forced them to drop out, go to jail, or get terrible jobs? I doubt anyone held a gun to any of their heads. They made a choice to "be cool", run with a bad crowd, do drugs, skip school. Their parents probably made choices you aren't ever aware of - not helping them with homework, not sending them to after school programs to keep them off the streets. I am speaking from my personal experience, and from the experiences of all of the Russian immigrants with whom I grew up. Are there **** ups mixed in there? Of course. One of my good friends from elementary through middle school was in and out of jail, and is now an alcoholic. Another was a meth head and is now a successful ER nurse. Most others are - literally - doctors, lawyers, pharmacists, or successful business people.

I know there are disadvantages to being born in the ghetto, and it's a tough hole out of which to climb. But I'm going to stand pat and say that if someone really, REALLY wanted to make the choice to leave their ****** life behind, give up the easy dollar, and try to break free of their conditional underachievement, then they can - if they make a choice to do so. Food stamps, welfare, drug dealing, making ends meet are crutches simply too enticing for many to simply say "enough".

it's less about choosing to ruin their lives than it is a sort of inevitability. all this stuff tends to happen, and not always or to all of them, precisely because there isn't a solid foundation for these types of people to build a life on--whether it's due to family issues or peers or whatever, environmental factors play a huge part in all this stuff.

as bene alluded to, a poly sci major is a tough sell. if you have any proclivity and/or interest, have you considered trying to develop more of a technical/quantitative skill set? not really sure what you're trying to do, but there are and will always be business/quant analyst type jobs, at a minimum, for folks with some quant/statistical training and basic excel/sql/whatever skills. tons of stuff like this here in seattle, particularly--add more dev/programming to the mix, and your prospects are even better.

His statement is debatable but it's supported by a very large number of economists at top schools so it's hardly deserving of ridicule. It's the same reason the US government dished out huge tax refunds during the recession.

you're making the 'very large number of economists at top schools' bit up. quantitative easing was entirely founded in this thinking and has fallen on its face--the more money put into the hands of the american people, the more they've put into the bank due to lack of confidence. bernanke himself, amongst, if not the foremost recession economist in the world, has has acknowledged it didn't work as he'd hoped, and it's precisely why recovery post-recession hasn't yet fully taken off

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads