• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm planning on visiting the USA and Canada over their winter, when it's snowy. Walking around Mildura (where I live in rural Australia) last night (when it was about 3-4 degrees), I realised that sneakers won't be enough in colder weather - I need some boots. Should I just grab some RMW (australian brand, can be worn almost anywhere - can be made very nondescript), or do people have some recommendations for other boots that are sturdy, can work in other situations (as opposed to some Red Wing/White Mountaineering boots) and aren't super expensive (like Guidi, etc)?

Probably not wanting to spend over $500, other options might be Andrew Mac, Buttero (if they've got anything?), Jun (depending on Price), but given I live in a hot climate, I don't really know where to start.

What you want are warm socks and a thicker sole. As long as the soles are not leather, but are crepe or rubber of some sort, and they are thck enough, you will be good to go.

For the winter, I wear sneakers and boots, interchangeably, but something with a thicker sole (say, Trickers with a crepe or Vibram sole) will work fine. Get some warm socks from a company like Chup (for topical coolness), or Smartwool (for actually functional socks), and you will be good to go.

Of course, your miliage may vary. I grew up in Canada, and cold is a welcome friend. It's the heat and sun I can't stand.

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK so I've been digging around Craigslist for a while looking for a nice, authentic but affordable persian rug for my room, and I've narrowed it down to these two from the same seller. Both are hand knit in Iran, estimated to be between 30-70 years old, in good condition, both 5'x7'. First one he's asking $250, second $350. Which?

slstr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the extra money doesn't bother you too much, the second one.

0JSIMPS0N

Reaction score

I'm planning on visiting the USA and Canada over their winter, when it's snowy. Walking around Mildura (where I live in rural Australia) last night (when it was about 3-4 degrees), I realised that sneakers won't be enough in colder weather - I need some boots. Should I just grab some RMW (australian brand, can be worn almost anywhere - can be made very nondescript), or do people have some recommendations for other boots that are sturdy, can work in other situations (as opposed to some Red Wing/White Mountaineering boots) and aren't super expensive (like Guidi, etc)?

Probably not wanting to spend over $500, other options might be Andrew Mac, Buttero (if they've got anything?), Jun (depending on Price), but given I live in a hot climate, I don't really know where to start.

ive been through 15+ toronto winters, trust me you don't need boots. unless you're going way up north. weather is basically identical to east coast US

Aldous

Reaction score
What are people wearing on their feet to beach/pool (espadrilles, sandals, nothing)?

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Kelvstros

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
flip flops of the cheapest type imaginable!

First one he's asking $250, second $350. Which?

Second one is a very classic design and pretty common. I like the first one simply because it is more unique.

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Every time it says one more available and each time I click it says 'sold out'. Am I just too slow or they just teasing me? :fu:

Yea I get the same **** for other old items that are long gone. You can email customer support about it, but then they just ask for your password... :plain:

grizzlybear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK so I've been digging around Craigslist for a while looking for a nice, authentic but affordable persian rug for my room, and I've narrowed it down to these two from the same seller. Both are hand knit in Iran, estimated to be between 30-70 years old, in good condition, both 5'x7'. First one he's asking $250, second $350. Which?/quote]

It's craigslist, you can talk him down a lot. Money talks.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
went shopping for the first time in a while recently, but think i'm taking it all back because none of it is quite perfect (or not close enough anyway). i've become more and more picky, but i guess it's not necessarily a bad thing :embar:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads