• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do you guys use shoe trees in all your shoes? or just in ones that are more MC-ish?

in other words

should i use shoe trees in these F+B boots?

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those 3 goth ninja-posts are among my favorites on reddit, he writes and explains well, gives good suggestions for how to approach the aestethic and suggests solid fits
This is also good(he links to it in part 3):
[–]badonkaduck 438 poäng
5 månader sen *
There seem to be a lot of "why are these people dressed in such unflattering clothes" comments in this thread, and that's completely missing the point.
The unspoken MFA assumption about the clothes we choose to wear is that they look "good" and they will make us look "good", and that generally clothing ought to serve those two purposes.
But fashion exists on a spectrum between pragmatic ("I want clothes that will make people think highly of me") and artistic ("I want clothes that are interesting"). Not everyone is interested in wearing clothes that look "good" and will make them look "good". Some people are more interested in wearing clothes that are interesting.
Let's make an analogy to music.
People who wear distressed boot-cut jeans and Affliction shirts are like Katy Perry or Ke$ha - lacking any artistic merit, but massively popular and blending in to the cultural background. Most people don't notice (or choose to overlook) how ****** it is.
The MFA circlejerk style is like Mumford and Sons or the White Stripes - it's artistically accomplished, aesthetically pleasing, but also quite safe. People may disagree with your particular choices, but nobody's going to think you're an idiot.
The looks linked are like Nicolas Collins - 99% of people off the street will say, "What the **** is this bullshit?" and walk away. The line between "crap" and "beautiful" isn't clear. We're not sure whether we're supposed to like it or not. That tension is incredibly interesting to some people.
Personally, I fall squarely into the MFA circlejerk style - just as I mostly listen to music that isn't complete crap but also isn't pushing the envelope too far. I enjoy the experience of wearing clothes that look "good", and of being perceived by others as looking "good".
But I understand why some people would put greater value on looking "interesting".
Edit: Aw, shucks, y'all are kind with this Comment of the Week ****. Glad it was helpful.

which is a comment to this FANTASTIC album I somehow had completely missed
http://imgur.com/a/vNMY4

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I try to keep trees in my f+b. Not keen on the creases they develop, unlike those of guidi,CCP,ect.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody see the Ra newsletter? Nasir Mazhar SS13

Tuma

Reaction score

Those 3 goth ninja-posts are among my favorites on reddit, he writes and explains well, gives good suggestions for how to approach the aestethic and suggests solid fits This is also good(he links to it in part 3):
[–] badonkaduck 438 poäng 5 månader sen *
There seem to be a lot of "why are these people dressed in such unflattering clothes" comments in this thread, and that's completely missing the point.
The unspoken MFA assumption about the clothes we choose to wear is that they look "good" and they will make us look "good", and that generally clothing ought to serve those two purposes.
But fashion exists on a spectrum between pragmatic ("I want clothes that will make people think highly of me") and artistic ("I want clothes that are interesting"). Not everyone is interested in wearing clothes that look "good" and will make them look "good". Some people are more interested in wearing clothes that are interesting.
Let's make an analogy to music.
People who wear distressed boot-cut jeans and Affliction shirts are like Katy Perry or Ke$ha - lacking any artistic merit, but massively popular and blending in to the cultural background. Most people don't notice (or choose to overlook) how ****** it is.
The MFA circlejerk style is like Mumford and Sons or the White Stripes - it's artistically accomplished, aesthetically pleasing, but also quite safe. People may disagree with your particular choices, but nobody's going to think you're an idiot.
The looks linked are like [COLOR=336699]Nicolas Collins[/COLOR] - 99% of people off the street will say, "What the **** is this bullshit?" and walk away. The line between "crap" and "beautiful" isn't clear. We're not sure whether we're supposed to like it or not. That tension is incredibly interesting to some people.
Personally, I fall squarely into the MFA circlejerk style - just as I mostly listen to music that isn't complete crap but also isn't pushing the envelope too far. I enjoy the experience of wearing clothes that look "good", and of being perceived by others as looking "good".
But I understand why some people would put greater value on looking "interesting".
Edit: Aw, shucks, y'all are kind with this Comment of the Week ****. Glad it was helpful.
which is a comment to this FANTASTIC album I somehow had completely missed http://imgur.com/a/vNMY4
I found those article and that folder very helpful too. Highly recommended to every low level ninja here.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

parts 1 & 2 are even funnier

but despite using d&d archetypes to describe sub-aesthetics in gothninja/whatever you want to call it, it's really not a terrible introduction to the style..

Eh, I'm not sure, it just feels like an example of blind leading the blind. MFA isn't the audience for that kind of styling and it doesn't seem like many people there, if anyone, has actual experience with gothninja brands. There's no way to say this without coming off elitist but I don't think gothninja is the kind of aesthetic you can half-ass, especially with lame analogies. I don't think the exposure comes off positively for the aesthetic, especially when so many people defending it aren't actually people who wear that kind of style. It ventures a bit too much into the "overthinking clothing" territory. It seems like MFA just likes to follow gothninja styling because it's trending and people enjoy sharing their newfound knowledge of 'fashion' and educating others (to be fair, we've all been guilty of this), not because people actually want to dress in that manner.

rjbman

Reaction score
Eh, I'm not sure, it just feels like an example of blind leading the blind. MFA isn't the audience for that kind of styling and it doesn't seem like many people there, if anyone, has actual experience with gothninja brands. There's no way to say this without coming off elitist but I don't think gothninja is the kind of aesthetic you can half-ass, especially with lame analogies. I don't think the exposure comes off positively for the aesthetic, especially when so many people defending it aren't actually people who wear that kind of style. It ventures a bit too much into the "overthinking clothing" territory. It seems like MFA just likes to follow gothninja styling because it's trending and people enjoy sharing their newfound knowledge of 'fashion' and educating others (to be fair, we've all been guilty of this), not because people actually want to dress in that manner.
There's a couple people at MFA who do gothninja, but there does seem to be a large amount of "hypetrain" following, where MFA finds out about something "new" and just go crazy over it; see CPs, ToJ, Chore Coats, etc.

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My wife surprised me with a little Vass on my birthday... :D
2lkzaea.jpg

24goyv6.jpg

Belated Birthday greetings to you Mr Moo ! Pure decadance and deliciousness.
You are a lucky man. Thank you and your wife for sharing this unique experience with us.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use shoe trees. They're not going to keep your boots from creasing. And use cedar ones. They'll absorb the moisture (ie sweat) that's left after you wear the boots. Left alone it will slowly corrode the leather. I use them in all my shoes, which still look all creased and beat to hell.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
same, anything but sneakers i guess. for what it's worth, mikey, i kept trees in them whenever not worn.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i need to buy more shoe trees. rotating one set between 4 sets of shoes is not working out so well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads