• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I kind of stopped my Social Media consumption at Facebook. No twitter/tumblr/instagram/pintrest etc.

Honestly I prefer twitter to any of the others. It's probably more because I'm not following any idiots than because it's inherently better, as opposed to FB where I just added everyone with a last name early on in college.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the blatant abuse of Instagram.

From http://lookatmyfuckingredtrousers.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Honestly I prefer twitter to any of the others.  It's probably more because I'm not following any idiots than because it's inherently better, as opposed to FB where I just added everyone with a last name early on in college.

If you follow the right people, Twitter can be an amazing info aggregator, even better than Google News, Reddit, etc.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would like to bring to everyone's attention the fact that a contestant on the new season of Project Runway lists Maurizio Amadeo (M.A.+, etc.) as an influence. SZ collectively shrieks in horror.
Also a dude named Gunnar Deatherage, which is so ******* metal.

I watched the end of that last night. http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/season-10/designers/melissa-fleis

Her first challenge was Rick Owens meets Helmut Lang meets the entire Atelier lineup. "A little derivative?" I mean, ****, that wasn't designing. That was styling (and not particularly innovative styling) with sewing involved. If I could actually sew, I could have done better (0).

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know one of the guys on Project Runway. He's kind of a dick.

Vashin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use a lot of social media/other stuff. It is important for me to be an early adopter/tech agnostic so I can see what other people are doing.

I love instagram. It works fantastically well for me (and probably my generation). I enjoy taking pictures but I also like seeing what other people in my city are up to. It's just another way to communicate with friends. Sure there's a lot of crap on it, just don't follow those people.

Anytime there's new tech (especially one that democratizes something) people will criticize it. The printing press for example... many writers of the time said that the printing press was bad. If anyone can write and cheaply publish their work a lot of **** will be made. They were right. On the other hand it also completely revolutionized the world. Lots of great content was produced that otherwise would not have existed...

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a really interesting interview on NPR the other day about how the standard for technological innovation has plunged so dramatically in recent years, as evidenced by Zuckerburg's billion dollar acquisition of Instagram. That such a simple, non-consequential social media instrument has been embraced as a technology of the future apparently demonstrates the market's demand for less revolutionary, more complementary innovation to compliment (but not necessarily augment) daily life.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
I find myself barely even using facebook any more. It seems kind of funny, since I got my account back in college when it literally was an online facebook. My school was fifth on the list (take that Dartmouth and Penn :p ), and it was still at the stage where people would friend you after a five minute conversation after class.

It also had kind of a sketchy craigslist vibe at that point, since you could say you were looking for random hookups (in addition to friendship, dating, "whatever I can get", &c). :lol:

Last edited:

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know how you look at pictures from the 80's with cheesy photo effects and neon and **** and you're like "holy **** that's so cheesy and 80's?" That's what instagram will be like now/in a couple years (and then moreso as time goes on).

The key thing though is that whatever effects people think will be cool in the future (barring like, ultra-clear sharpness) will be easily integrated into the instagram platform as simply a different kind of filter.

Twitter is great for keeping up with your friends who have graduated and moved into a different city. It gives you a great passive knowledge of how they're doing without being like "hey sup" every couple weeks. Also as a news/media aggregation tool, though my music-media consumption has moved to spotify.

Last edited:

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I find myself barely even using facebook any more.

Facebook is so dull now, maybe it always was. You can't have a conversation about anything interesting because you are going to piss someone off in your huge friend group (try discussing the presidential race sometime), so it ends up being vacation and party pics on and on and on. yawnz. It is probably okay if you are in college and are just chasing tail.

Last edited:

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Facebook's events feature is invaluable

That's mostly what I use it for. It's rather handy to make sure that girl you met the previous night while intoxicated looks as good as you remember her also.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads