• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lachy

Reaction score
I hit the snooze button one time too many on a sweater, and now it's gone in my size
frown.gif

Fortysomething

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unicornwarrior
Honestly, I buy some expensive **** from time to time and enjoy a nice shirt, pair of shoes, etc. but some times people's attitudes towards any non-boutique (or boutique-ish) brand is astounding.

J. crew is fine. Not everyone wants to save up 190 dollars for a RRL oxford.

Also, j.crew has a lot more variety at the price point. Tons of colors for oxfords as opposed to RRL (or other similiar high end brands) 4 or 5 somewhat obtainable colors.

Leave people that don't want to spend 200 dollars on a shirt alone, jeez.

As far as I see it, I'll buy a 200 shirt and enjoy it for what it is and I'll buy a 50 dollar shirt and enjoy it for what it is as well.

The word quality is really starting to piss me off. I've never had to replace a j.crew shirt or a john varvatos, or a rag and bone, or a w+h shirt after a certain (rather minimal amount) of washes. WTF do you do with your shirts!?

Yes, yes, and yes.

I only have a couple J.Crew pieces, but so far, so good.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Given that *every* forum is dependent on user generated content (even though we are making strides towards providing more content like Q&As and coverage of tradeshows, and possibly starting next summer, live coverage of runway shows as well as trandeshows, a pay-to-play system is not really going to work. Imagine if posters had to go through paypal every time they had to make a post. We want to make posting as easy as possible, while encouraging posters, especially new posters, to use the "Small questions" threads. If you think that the streetwear part of the forum is bad, you should see the problems we have with the MC side of things, where many posters are clearly too old for interwebz. It's really a tightrope act. Moderate too tightly, and you kill the forum. Moderate too loosely, and the animals start to run the zoo, and you get Superfuture circa 2005.

I know that a Superfuture has gone through and culled a bunch of long term posters, Stalinist round up style, and I know that this was not popular with everyone, but really (and I don't the exact reasons that the Sufu mods gave), it was made necessary because those posters had built up a following in the wild west days, and had continued to think that they ran the show and that rules and forum etiquette demanded by the moderators and administrators didn't apply to them.

Well I just meant money for registering, like SA forum does. I don't think anywhere does money for every single post. That'd be pretty marsupialed. Regardless, I think a pay system would probably cut off too many decent posters even though almost all marsupials would disappear.

stylo 9000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
I think I'll stop buying clothes or giving much of a **** about clothes at all until I'm in better shape, have a better haircut, etc.

Not that I really can buy clothes nowadays anyway, but +1. Much rowing is necessary.

Originally Posted by Stazy
I would not have paid to join the forum when I first found it.

+10000000

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What on earth is wrong with trench coats?

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
What on earth is wrong with trench coats?

Unless you're a conservative businessman or in the military, you're going to look like Inspector Douchebag wearing a trenchcoat

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
or from the matrix.

We need guns... lots of guns...-

so in that case its cool

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
Unless you're a conservative businessman or in the military, you're going to look like Inspector Douchebag wearing a trenchcoat
Um, what? You're telling me the one of the garments that is most eponymous of fashion, the burberry trenchcoat is not right to wear? Sorry, this is ridiculous. Also casual vests are great, many good ones out there, people make the error of wearing tuxedo back vests casually though, which I think is hard to work.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
you sound a lot like inspector douchebag right now actually
you look a lot like a woman all the time
redface.gif
Originally Posted by XenoX101
Um, what? You're telling me the one of the garments that is most eponymous of fashion, the burberry trenchcoat is not right to wear? Sorry, this is ridiculous. Also casual vests are great, many good ones out there, people make the error of wearing tuxedo back vests casually though, which I think is hard to work.
The problem is that the people who shouldn't wear one (short skinny people) wear them. If you're a big guy with a boxy frame who is also a business man, sure, rock your burberry trench. If you're some twinky student wearing a trench on campus you're going to look like a try-hard. Just because something is "most eponymous of fashion" doesn't mean it's fashionable for everyone

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
rofl
jarude;2446424 said:
you look a lot like a woman all the time
redface.gif

/QUOTE]

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
The problem is that the people who shouldn't wear one (short skinny people) wear them. If you're a big guy with a boxy frame who is also a business man, sure, rock your burberry trench. If you're some twinky student wearing a trench on campus you're going to look like a try-hard. Just because something is "most eponymous of fashion" doesn't mean it's fashionable for everyone
I think I could pull off a trench coat on campus. You're focusing too much on extremes. Vests, on the other hand, are terrible. I've never seen a vest and thought "wow, that looks great".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads