• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OK, so I threw on my NDG puffer vest just now and had a thought...Would it be at all possible to have someone attach unzippable (removable) leather sleeves onto this to form a sort of UCism type hybrid? Who would I even go to for a project like that, a leather maker or a tailor or what?

All the edgy details and black hardware etc. would look great with leather sleeves, methinks

Anyone?

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone has two biological parents; each of those parents had two biological parents; and so on. Is there a person anywhere who cannot say "I am the 24th unbroken generation of my family"? What is a "broken" lineage but an ended one?

Most of my family on my father's side died during Stalinist purges and famines. There are 5 people in the world with my last name. I'd call that somewhat broken.

Everyone's parents die. You can have children. They can have children. The lineage isn't broken until everyone dies and no-one is left behind; and that's "ended" just as I said. Each generation is the 24th in line, starting from 24 generations previous. That is all I was saying -- that his claim could be made word for word by anybody.

If he was referring to a single ongoing patronym or something (I honestly have no idea), that would be different, but only valuable in a very arbitrary way.

Last edited:

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not a Seinfeld fan I take it? In that episode Jerry buys a suede jacket with a candy stripe lining and turns it inside out to avoid ruining it during a snowstorm, which makes his ex-gf's father think he's effeminate. Was mostly a question about whether I'll have to baby suede given all the drizzle we have here or not, but snake's umbrella suggestion is true enough. Now just to bargain the guy down a bit.

i'm 2 hours north of Seattle, and it rains here 75% of the year. Basically, when it's not raining it's too warm to wear a jacket. I only buy goretex.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@urth, sorry that sailed over my head :embar:

i'm 2 hours north of Seattle, and it rains here 75% of the year. Basically, when it's not raining it's too warm to wear a jacket. I only buy goretex.

That is a lot of rain. Are you in Forks or north cascades?

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
John Mayer doesn't look half bad

lol gitman floral + NB? I would probably wear this look no lie

His visvim looks are kinda cool too

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Everyone has two biological parents; each of those parents had two biological parents; and so on. Is there a person anywhere who cannot say "I am the 24th unbroken generation of my family"? What is a "broken" lineage but an ended one?

I have a cultural memory that spans centuries, is my point. My family tree can be traced back before the founding of this country, and has survived multiple dynastic changes. Maybe you can honestly say that this means nothing to you, but it's clearly important to many people. Otherwise, adopted kids would not look for their biological parents, and people wouldn't spend time and money trying to trace their ancestry.

what, aside from the continuity of genetic material, makes you proud of this information (if you are) ? i mean whatever achievements belonged to them and don't necessarily reflect upon you aside perhaps a claim to certain standards you feel you need to meet. it almost sounds as if you consider yourself a robot, just the latest iteration ?

This is just not true if you look through a different lens. My achievements are not purely my own. That is one of the reasons that Chinese mother's don't ***** and moan about not having "something of their own", and invest so much in their children. My achievements are considered my parents achievements, and my failings, also theirs. And what I do or do not reflects on not just my parents and myself , but on my family name. I wouldn't expect a westerner to understand, however, nor anyone who embraces individualism, which I think is one of the most lonely, and at the same time, constricting, ideologies. Read the Analects, and not just to "understand them" on a superficial, intellectual level, and you'll get it.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Most of my family on my father's side died during Stalinist purges and famines. There are 5 people in the world with my last name. I'd call that somewhat broken.

I'm sorry. That is a great loss.

If he was referring to a single ongoing patronym or something (I honestly have no idea), that would be different, but only valuable in a very arbitrary way.

Arbitrary or not, tt has incredible, enduring, symbolic value. Kin and clan are the bonds that hold people together through much of the world, and destroying those bonds, whether it was Spanish Fascists stealing babies and giving them to "better" families, or Mao doing his best to destroy familial artifacts, has been a weapon used to destroy people's identities throughout history, all over the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members