• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyriverz

Reaction score
Anyone going to the Maas and Stacks sample sale on Sunday? Anyone willing to try and proxy?

Yes, would be willing to pay for someone to proxy a Craig Green silk workwear jacket in black/dark navy from last F/W in size S or XS. Maas and Stacks was selling it last season.
7d7f400e45f5c1d04cfeaf1e3bb2d91b.png

Spehsmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@happyriverz @Severisth
It's a crazy busy time for me, but I'm going to try and go to that sample sale. I've sold a lot of stuff on various forums but have never proxied, so not sure how most folks do it. I figure you should send me a message about proxying only if: (1) you're 100% certain you want something, (2) will be available by phone at the time of the sample sale, and (3) are not gonna flake if/once I buy it (maybe send a partial deposit in advance; again not sure how most do it).

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
GQ interview with Patrik Ervell on his becoming Vince's new designer

https://www.gq.com/story/vince-patrik-ervell-interview

Interesting.. I think there's an alternative timeline where Ervell just continued to tweak and perfect some of his staple pieces (pocket sweater, aviator jackets, club collar work shirts come to mind). Some of those could easily be a wardrobe staple for any style. I really liked some of his stuff. His past collections have been a bit strange and completely lost me.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting.. I think there's an alternative timeline where Ervell just continued to tweak and perfect some of his staple pieces (pocket sweater, aviator jackets, club collar work shirts come to mind). Some of those could easily be a wardrobe staple for any style. I really liked some of his stuff. His past collections have been a bit strange and completely lost me.

I don't know anything about the behind-the-scenes of his business, but I imagine "basics and staples" are the reason why many brands struggle to survive. It's hard to sell that sort of stuff today because the market is insanely crowded and people can comparison shop forever. And the guys who buy that stuff often shop at discount, which means stores have little incentive to pick them up.

I like the PE line a lot and, like a lot of other guys here, bought that pocket sweater. And I like that there are "upgraded basics" from minimalist brands. But a lot of those clothes also fly so close to the sort of things you can find at high-street shops, it makes it hard -- especially for the online consumer who's just viewing two-dimensional jpegs -- to justify buying an "upgraded parka" or "upgraded trucker jacket" at $300.

You need a really strong brand image or basically "weird clothes" to survive, I think.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You need a really strong brand image or basically "weird clothes" to survive, I think.

Indeed. Which probably explains why I have a weird reverence for brands that make the same thing season to season but tweak it just a bit.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the behind-the-scenes of his business, but I imagine "basics and staples" are the reason why many brands struggle to survive. It's hard to sell that sort of stuff today because the market is insanely crowded and people can comparison shop forever. And the guys who buy that stuff often shop at discount, which means stores have little incentive to pick them up.

I like the PE line a lot and, like a lot of other guys here, bought that pocket sweater. And I like that there are "upgraded basics" from minimalist brands. But a lot of those clothes also fly so close to the sort of things you can find at high-street shops, it makes it hard -- especially for the online consumer who's just viewing two-dimensional jpegs -- to justify buying an "upgraded parka" or "upgraded trucker jacket" at $300.

I don't disagree but then again, he's going to design at Vince, which is essentially synonymous with "upgraded basics", no?

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Call me cynical, but i believe image is a compelling reason for companies to throw cash at marketing. Many good (and not so good) companies sink or swim on name alone. Whether that name conjures up images of artisanal craftsmanship, celebrity associations, or innovation, much of that is pretty thought out.

Of course, I say this as a construction worker, so what do I know.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't disagree but then again, he's going to design at Vince, which is essentially synonymous with "upgraded basics", no?

Yea. I don't know how well Vince is doing, but they have great market presence and tons of stores. Maybe they have a strong following that will buy something because it's from them.

At the very least, it sounds his new arrangement takes out some of the work of running a fashion company, which must have been crazy as an indie designer.

Call me cynical, but i believe image is a compelling reason for companies to throw cash at marketing. Many good (and not so good) companies sink or swim on name alone. Whether that name conjures up images of artisanal craftsmanship, celebrity associations, or innovation, much of that is pretty thought out.

I completely agree. I still think, even for the most "informed" of customers, branding and image are a huge part of what we buy. If your clothes are intentionally "anonymous," you need to have an even stronger brand image to prevent the commodification of your clothes/ brand. People need a reason to not comparison shop.

Spehsmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reddit MFA Guy's Brain said:
"You people online seem to like this thing. Please tell me exactly why, so I can copy your thoughts and go lowball someone on Grailed for one."

Last thing I saw there was a guy asking one of those "What's so special about X?" questions. Now, I'm happy to admit that taste is a socioculturally determined and complicated thing. And I know hating on those subs is beating a dead horse...But if you want the internet to explicitly spoon-feed you what to like and what not to like, you're likely to stay stuck in Reddit MFA/FMF purgatory.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
:facepalm:

Band of Outsiders made a killing for years making basics, most of this makes no sense.

Good lord this is nonsense.

+1

you are one stylish tradesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads