• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I know at least two employees who do. It's a pretty big company, so I assume many people there have visited StyleForum.

Are they look for new ways to make their outfit pop? Like maybe wear a tie with overalls?

Someone should program a Mr Porter automated copy writer.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I still don't understand who are the people who are into those Mr Porter editorial and brand ambassadors, they should just be like amazon (a large evil corporation brimming with malice and furthering exploitation) and keep a neutral look and tone for their website.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I still don't understand who are the people who are into those Mr Porter editorial and brand ambassadors, they should just be like amazon (a large evil corporation brimming with malice and furthering exploitation) and keep a neutral look and tone for their website.

I actually like Mr Porter's editorials. It's very lifestyle-y, but from a business perspective, that sort of content makes sense. It's hard to write day-in, day-out about clothing, and the sort of customer they're trying to capture isn't going to care about super nerdy details. So they'll do some post about a celebrity, but dressed him up in things that I like (e.g. wearing Beams instead of Zegna). Or they'll do a feature on how to wear some "featured item" for the month (e.g. leather jackets or whatever). Sure it's a bit mainstreamy, but it fits for a certain audience. And there's a surprising amount of content for nerds, like features on Japanese designers or whatever.

I don't think the content is as "pop of color" and "dress up or dress down" as you guys think.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They also slobber over old Italian ********....

I mean, sure, but that's menswear. The Italian man is the menswear equivalent of the French woman in Vogue.

The tailored British gentleman, suave Italian, and rugged, sporty American are easy reference points in menswear. You're not going to base a company worth over $1 billion dollars on how to dress like Japanese hobo farmers and Argentine space cowboys.

I still like a lot of that classic Italian tailoring. It can be a good look, even if the over the top #menswear version is really bad.

Put another way, look at the other big companies, such as Nordstrom and Amazon. Do you really want Mr. Porter to be more like that?

msg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, Totokaelo is right there. So there is that. For food, when I am in Seattle, I never miss the chance to go to Serious Pie - the dough is allowed to develop a bit more gluten, so you get a more substantial tasting dough than is traditional in Neapolitan style pizzas. All the pizzas are good, but depending on the season, the mushroom pizza is a revelation.

Unfortunately, it's also very popular, so go during an off hour. I like going for a slice at 2 or so, when most people have cleared out.

There are several locations for Serious Pie, including in the Starbucks roasters on Cap Hill. There are better pizza options, but none are as convenient. Delancey, Independent, etc

Was just at Totokaelo for the first time, well worth checking out. For food Pestle Rock does great Thai, not sure the dish name but the crispy curry rice has me wanting to book a flight now...

Little Uncle is the best Thai option in the city

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Well I am not a client so it seems to be a turnoff for me, yeah. Amazon is neutral in its presentation, which is less annoying.

Come to amazon to get timeless books by iconic writing stalwarts like #famous writer Ernest Hemingway, author of the #recognized the old man and the sea and new classics that #pop like Hillary Clinton's What happened!!! See our editorial on how to associate books with our #italian jackets!!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well I am not a client so it seems to be a turnoff for me, yeah. Amazon is neutral in its presentation, which is less annoying.

Come to amazon to get timeless books by iconic writing stalwarts like #famous writer Ernest Hemingway, author of the #recognized the old man and the sea and new classics that #pop like Hillary Clinton's What happened!!! See our editorial on how to associate books with our #italian jackets!!

I still think fantasy is 90% of what makes fashion fun. That can be anything from heritage stories to the idea that you're actually some space cowboy/ Italian business magnate. I think we talked about that before, where I felt dressing up like your cultural heroes (eg musicians) can be one of the best parts of fashion, but you felt it was lame.

Sites like Amazon present none of that fantasy (or their subsidiaries, such as East Dane). Clothes should look cool and feel physically good, but I think they're especially great when they have some kind of symbolic meaning. And of that often means building in some kind of fantasy component.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I don't disagree, I just don't need retailers to provide that fantasy content. My reasoning is as #dumbasstrickedbyimage as anyone else but say, I read a book on may 68 and ideology, I look at pictures and I proceed to get a corduroy jacket in brown or green. I guess the end result is the same (I wrap myself in dreams) but the sources of the fantasy and garment have to be kept separate for it to work.

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@msg Been to both. If you like Pad Thai go to any city. If you want one of kind regional Thai, Pestle Rock is in a different league.

il_colonnello

Reaction score
I don't disagree, I just don't need retailers to provide that fantasy content. My reasoning is as #dumbasstrickedbyimage as anyone else but say, I read a book on may 68 and ideology, I look at pictures and I proceed to get a corduroy jacket in brown or green. I guess the end result is the same (I wrap myself in dreams) but the sources of the fantasy and garment have to be kept separate for it to work.

excellent post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads