• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragechester

Reaction score
Thats fairly helpful, and I guess explains the polyester on the label I posted vs all of the mostly wool Rive Gauche which often have a nice Made in France in there as well. Just missed out on a pair that was clearly designed by Pilati and so good:brick:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah rive gauche is the good stuff, but imo that is more meaningful for the women's stuff... i did recently kop one helluva nice shearling rancher that was a little older and just 'homme', just try to stay away from the licensed garbage from the 80s and look for good fiber, etc.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Red Dead Redemption 2 trailer makes me want to just wear Kapital, Visvim, etc. all day every day. (5)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just find any kind of online content that centers around hate tiring. It's why CM isn't that interesting anymore; it's why certain forums in general are awful; it's why I can't read certain blogs. Even if the writer often makes points I agree with, I just don't care to read stuff that's constantly and relentlessly about how much XYZ sucks. There are certain things where that's necessary -- politics, economics, actual social issues -- but this is fashion. How angry can you get about band tee trends?

Content that centers on what the person loves is so much more interesting. Say why something is great; imbue others with the same enthusiasm. I don't mind the occasional rant, but Jesus Christ -- seriously, who enjoys filling up their day with so much negativity?

(Realize there's a bit of irony in this post, as I'm being negative about people being negative)

I don't love corndogs. I mean, the concept is pretty cool, but the hotdog has no sear on it, and that's the best part of a hotdog. I DO love a bacon wrapped sausage with grilled onions on a bun after a basketball game/night out/whatever. The there is great texture, a succulent, salty, slightly spicy sausage, balanced by the sweetness of the onions and peppers fat, and the bread sops up whatever excess alcohol there is in your system.

Eugene/Faust - I dunno about that guy. He seems at the same time high-handed about things he considers overly commercial, and defensively dismissive about money. I remember this from his interview with Rick Owens as being particularly cringeworthy: "You know sometimes people still tell me, “Oh, you are on the way to making it.” And, I’m like, “I’ve already ******* made it. I do what I love–what more can one ask for? A SoHo loft? Who cares.” That seems way too specific to be something he's never thought about. And at the same time, he has no compunctions against taking money to cover things like Pitti Uomo, which is as commercial as it gets, and doesn't really have a strong representation of the type of fashion that he likes. To me, he seems equal parts disdainful and envious, the combination of which typically makes for an unpleasant human being.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
random question:
http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/...&kw=polo+linen+suit+trouser&parentPage=search

what can I pair this guy with besides navy jacket..., shirt is pretty straight forward, white/pink/blue/denim would all do, but can't think much besides navy sportcoat for jacket, would light grey work?
Charcoals. olive, darker browns, various shades of blue. I think that those trousers call for something with texture and depth. Maybe a good Denegal tweed would be nice.

Cheers,

Fok.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Charcoals. olive, darker browns, various shades of blue. I think that those trousers call for something with texture and depth. Maybe a good Denegal tweed would be nice.

Cheers,

Fok.

Would have thought olive, never thought brown, guess got to be dark enough to differentiate

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What's wrong with them?

1) Patterned trousers are generally hard to wear. They bring the eye down, which is unusual in CM fits, where you typically want the attention up top. Doesn't mean all patterned trousers are bad; just that they're harder to wear.

2) If you want to make patterned trousers work, I find they're easiest to wear in subtle patterns, conservative colors, and woolen fabrics (rather than worsted). That's because they're relatively a bit more subtle. Esp on a woolen, where the lines on a pattern can be somewhat fuzzy and hidden underneath a nap. In this case, it's like the worst of all worlds -- patterned pants, with hard lines on a linen fabric.

3) That specific fabric is ugly. It looks like a burlap sack.

4) Pants have an 8.75 inch rise and 7.25 leg opening on a waist 32, which means they're low rise and skinny. Those kinds of pants are hard to wear in CM fits.

5) Best case scenario with those is that you end up looking preppy or like a dude at Pitti Uomo, both of which are bad.

My guess is that, if you buy those, you'll hang them up in your closet and continually just reach for easier to wear solid tans and greys. They'll never get used and you'll end up listing them on eBay.

Not a fan of the trousers, but they'd work with a dark brown corduroy or moleskin jacket

Pants are linen and wouldn't work with fall sport coat, IMO. You need a summer jacket.

Last edited:

TheCowboy

Reaction score
I've come to viewing Etro runways by only looking at the pants and ignoring pretty much everything else. Good patterns to be found.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1) Patterned trousers are generally hard to wear. They bring the eye down, which is unusual in CM fits, where you typically want the attention up top. Doesn't mean all patterned trousers are bad; just that they're harder to wear.

2) If you want to make patterned trousers work, I find they're easiest to wear in subtle patterns, conservative colors, and woolen fabrics (rather than worsted). That's because they're relatively a bit more subtle. Esp on a woolen, where the lines on a pattern can be somewhat fuzzy and hidden underneath a nap. In this case, it's like the worst of all worlds -- patterned pants, with hard lines on a linen fabric.

3) That specific fabric is ugly. It looks like a burlap sack.

4) Pants have an 8.75 inch rise and 7.25 leg opening on a waist 32, which means they're low rise and skinny. Those kinds of pants are hard to wear in CM fits.

5) Best case scenario with those is that you end up looking preppy or like a dude at Pitti Uomo, both of which are bad.

My guess is that, if you buy those, you'll hang them up in your closet and continually just reach for easier to wear solid tans and greys. They'll never get used and you'll end up listing them on eBay.

Pants are linen and wouldn't work with fall sport coat, IMO. You need a summer jacket.

Fair point, good that I haven't purchased it yet (also explains why I have nearly zero pattern trouser...). Fit wise you can semi ignore RL measurements, it's more like ~9.5 front rise with ~7.5 leg opening on size 30 (I have same model in solid)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads