• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not sure how old you are, but forums are an old technology, and frankly, forum developers have been struggling to figure out what the "new" forums should look like. I have some ideas, but all of us who run forums are sorta tied together by the "collective" vision.

I'm probably ancient in swd terms, and wasn't being facetious: while interesting to read about, I struggle to wrap my head around how a couple days off and what seem like nice, but superficial changes (to my user experience) could have such a negative impact. Seems like there's a sense of community here that can't be replicated on sites like instagram, or even reddit, that goes hand in hand with the format.

I love the new additions (like the SF journal) but admit I'm lost when people start talking about posts being too lengthy, or not enough like micro-blogging and...stuff.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's too many better platforms. If SF had a Grailed like sales platform and better original 'content' plus the discussion forum (but better?) it would probably work at holding my attention a little longer.

Also just lost my office thanks to recent open workspace movement :fu: so spending way less time on my cultural interests 9-5.

Interesting observations. Grailed is a specialized platform (incidentally, that type of marketplace tech exists for any number of industries, from musical instruments to electronics, all mostly driving to take a small piece of of the Ebay pie, making up for the lack of audience by being more aligned and responsive to the specialized needs in a particular vertical). Every portal that has become mostly editorial driven (Hypebeast) has nearly deliberately killed the UGC discussion part of the site. Reddit is JUST discussion.

Forum software was designed for discussions, but throughout the years, have added features (a nice CSS, B&S sections whatever), first in response to the needs of the community, but then, as the years went buy, in reaction to the increasing pressures of social media, principally. However, to be frank, our tools for discoverability and virality are simply not as good, mostly because the structure of forums was not created with that in mind. And you end up with a structure that is somewhat responsive to a variety of community needs, but can be somewhat confusing to newcomers. Attrition is something that happens to EVERY platform, so the focus has to be dually on retention and recruitment. I know that we need to be doing a better job at both, but really, recruitment and activation may be more of an issue than retention, in the medium and long term.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm probably ancient in swd terms, and wasn't being facetious: while interesting to read about, I struggle to wrap my head around how a couple days off and what seem like nice, but superficial changes (to my user experience) could have such a negative impact. Seems like there's a sense of community here that can't be replicated on sites like instagram, or even reddit, that goes hand in hand with the format.

I love the new additions (like the SF journal) but admit I'm lost when people start talking about posts being too lengthy, or not enough like micro-blogging and...stuff.

I'm with you, but I know also that days are weeks in internet time, and accelerating. In 2005, we were using a dumbass host who forgot to do regular backups, and we were down for literallya month. We made a home at Andy's (something that would never happen today), and after we had things up and running again, we actually grew nearly immediately. That would be a disaster in 2017. Most of your traffic and active members would go elsewhere, and you'd spend months of outreach to get people back. I tried to make the down time as short and entertaining as possible, but we are still recovering. Also, in 2017, internet users are WAY more used to convenience, and so even minor changes in functionality, which, 10, or even 5 years ago would have seemed minor, seem much more drastic now.

Incidentally, it's not just us. The big guys have found this as well. Google Plus - who uses it? And it's not because the interface is clunky. It's because it requires 15 minutes to figure out how to use it. In 2017, that is 14 minutes and 30 seconds too long.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate the tech zeitgeist.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not an education researcher either, but this is apparently a big area of concern. Memorization is apparently a core component of brain development, and the instant access to information is apparently undermining its perceived value.

I only find it disturbing when people don't memorize basic things. I understand the concern of not having to use your brain since you can just google the answer but at the same time I don't have to store as much in my head because I know I can figure out or find the answer.

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Are we going to acknowledge that the new forum is a major downgrade (aesthetically and from a utilitarian perspective) from the old mobile version?

Also this thread in particular, but also the other major "generic" threads, are essentially just an inner-circle of users jerking each other off
with a consequent narrow range of tastes, views, products, opinions expressed
None of which appeals to potential new users. And hence, these inner-circle jerkers are probably dooming the forum in the long run.

None of those users frequent, for instance, the john elliott thread, which is really the only thriving/alive part of the SW&D forum left

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it is a bit tough to make proclamations about the health of StyFo when the platform change occurs as the weather should be getting less crap in N.A and Europe.

It does feel like post volume is down.

I don't think there is much contention at all in CM these days, and I am not sure that is a good thing.

I definitely feel the post volume being down. Less people are contributing including me. Part of it is definitely because I am not a fan of this new "sf" another part is I am older and have other things going on.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dope **** is dope ****. I just haven't found that much dope **** to post about personally. I'm buying less this year, but that has nothing to do with the forum format. I've also done a lot less physical shopping so not much to report on there either. I'm not a power seller, but I can see how the new B&S is a bit wonky.

afixedpoint

Crossfit
Reaction score
Having to wear business formal during the week definitely puts a damper on the mood. I find it difficult to excited about CM when the purpose of the uniform is homogeneity.

That being said, moving to Europe and being put in more fashion-conscious surroundings is still a welcome change of scenery.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
^ depends. a lot can be learnt from lurking and sponging off quality posters. that's how i started anyway.

A RFT: I feel like a char in Makoto Shinkai's Your Name (i hope all you guys have caught it!!) in that i feel like i'm constantly searching for something... but just don't know quite what it is...

TIL @penanceroyaltea still thinks like a high schooler :foo:

Don't worry, your boobs aren't missing!

Isn't that the case for most people as they live their life? Few people actually can define exactly what they want out of life. Most everyone just ride the waves and grumble along

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having to wear business formal during the week definitely puts a damper on the mood. I find it difficult to excited about CM when the purpose of the uniform is homogeneity.

That being said, moving to Europe and being put in more fashion-conscious surroundings is still a welcome change of scenery.

Dude, there is so much that is cool about tailored clothing. The range of expression between a Raf Simons suit and a Brioni is big as anything, and in the subtleties in cut and materials, make it only that much more interesting. I mean, yes, but statement pieces catch the eye, something as simple as a fishtail parka, done by Norwegian Rain vs by Nonnative vs. by Brunello Cucinelli (not actually fishtail, but whatever), says three different things.

afixedpoint

Crossfit
Reaction score
Point well taken, but I would hesitate to wear a Raf or Margiela suit to the office when the sole function of my uniform is to blend in/not get scolded by HR.

Not to mention, it's impossible for me to buy suiting that fits. Even getting MTM shirts/suits is always a circus. Three different dudes have to take my measurements everytime.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Point well taken, but I would hesitate to wear a Raf or Margiela suit to the office when the sole function of my uniform is to blend in/not get scolded by HR.

Not to mention, it's impossible for me to buy suiting that fits. Even getting MTM shirts/suits is always a circus. Three different dudes have to take my measurements everytime.
We've met, and unless you've really changed your body type in the past few years, you shouldn't be that hard to fit. You are athletic, but not crazily proportioned. Try Prada (yes, really), or maybe Costume National. You can get some very sharp suiting that is pretty office friendly but to a more discerning eye, is definitely a little more fashion than your regular mall brands, or something from a "CM" brand.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I think afixedpoint is in Switzerland, formality there is no ******* joke in some work settings, hence the discouragement as he has very few parameters to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads