• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Mike said something to the effect that landlords don't care if renters leave and their places are not occupied as they can write it off.

They are waiting for the huge whale like a bank etc. to come along and buy their property for huge$$$.

It's sounding a lot like S.F..

On edit: I can't find Mikes post about Starbucks but maybe I added one too many zeros. Maybe $7,000 to $14,000 not $70,000 to $140,000.

Also, no debate wanted here either. Just that Mike thought it out well and made it sound like his decision was an easy one. The math made much sense for him.

Yeap thats def the case here. There is a russian store that has been around for several decades that has to close up shop cuz they cannot afford the rent, sucks.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zam, sucks to hear about your building man, I hope you find some kind of resolution.

Iirc some of JE's more unusual things (also usually quite expensive) get made in China. But from what I see the basic stuff like jeans, tees, hoodies, etc are still US made.

given how much work has to go into their washes, I can understand the jeans prices.

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score
Zam, where would you move? Still in NYC?

I lived in NYC for almost 10 years (left about 6 years ago) and I don't know anyone that still lives in NYC aside from people who are satisfied working in corporate jobs and/or own property there. I know a few tattooers who are able to remain in NYC and work independently but they continuously travel around the world to other shops doing guest weeks so NYC is not their only financial support system.

The last time I went was like 3 years ago and it was so fancy and sterile, not a good combination. Where are the artists living? Hudson river valley?

Anyone know anything about the Bronx? It seems like the final frontier within NYC (Staten Island is it's own completely different thing) but it's SO far from anything, but maybe the Bronx is it's own self-contained thing now. Anyone?

Gruff

Reaction score
Be careful of pickpockets. They are numerous, and some of them, really good. Might want to invest in a second wallet so that you only carry the minimum number of cards needed, and a bit of cash in another pocket.

This is excellent advice, folks, especially if you're mugged. Basically a "decoy" wallet. Get a ****** wallet, put a couple of $5s, maybe an already expired credit card in it, maybe a couple of other random business cards to make it look legit.

Bad guy says "give me your wallet or else," you say "ok sure!" toss the decoy wallet to the side so bad guy actually has to move away from you to get it, you immediately bolt the other way. With your real, more valuable wallet still in your possession.

If you really want to ruin the bad guy's day, get those Jesus Saves fake dollar bill things that look like real money when they're folded up and put that in the wallet. Or find some foreign currency that's similar to greenbacks at first glance but effectively useless unless you're in that country. Buy the time they realize they got played you'll be long gone.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
edit: didn't realize it was for production.

Last edited:

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I lived in NYC for almost 10 years (left about 6 years ago) and I don't know anyone that still lives in NYC aside from people who are satisfied working in corporate jobs and/or own property there. I know a few tattooers who are able to remain in NYC and work independently but they continuously travel around the world to other shops doing guest weeks so NYC is not their only financial support system.

The last time I went was like 3 years ago and it was so fancy and sterile, not a good combination. Where are the artists living? Hudson river valley?

Anyone know anything about the Bronx? It seems like the final frontier within NYC (Staten Island is it's own completely different thing) but it's SO far from anything, but maybe the Bronx is it's own self-contained thing now. Anyone?

For now I need to stay in NYC for reasons other than fashion

for me, i could easily move to jersey, Philly or even Jamaica where there is a high level of skilled labor at a cost far less than what i pay in the US. however I have two young kids and my wife here and i would be a logistical nightmare to move

I have found a Place just 4 blocks away from my current space that may work for us, so i hope to get something done so I can move soon

In my complex at industry city, I was here Six years ago when this was a ghost town. Now the place has changed and very BIG corporations are moving in and forcing the smaller guys out

Adidas in my next door neighbor now. the Brooklyn nets training facility is right behind my window. I just saw a floor plan where BMW is moving in two floors down in my building. Time magazine has an office next door. It simply impossible for us small businesses to compete with that

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will be in Barcelona for the first time in late May. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'll be staying for about 5 days.

La Champaneria (Xampaneria) is a dope champagne/cheese place that is delicious and local
Satan's Coffee Corner
Picasso Museum
Oscar H Grand (workwear type menswear, think EG or evan kinori)

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rockaway Beach is the final frontier, and so much awesome **** is happening here.

msg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who makes good travel bags? 5 days of spring weather, two pairs of sneaks, plus regular sw&d stuff and toiletries. Mission Workshop? Tom Bihn? Filson? Tom Bihn has 45L bag that still meets carry on requirements.

I think I want a carry-on bag but maybe I can be convinced otherwise and consider checked luggage.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

Yeah. I wear their original coast wash (great light wash denim) from before they dropped the "+ Co", but I agree the prices have jumped significantly. I do like their classic crew neck T shirt, and have a couple of those and plan on getting some more. The cut and length are great for me so I grab them whenever I think I need some more.

I'm not a fan of a lot of their denim now though. I'm not into the knee rips, denim looks slimmer than the pair I have, and the washes aren't really my thing.

It's the classic business model. I'm surprised everyone is surprised about this.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's the classic business model. I'm surprised everyone is surprised about this.

You're not wrong about this in the slightest. It's just one of those things. The jeans I got were great for the price ($265 from the invoice from Fwrd), fit great, seem like they're made from decent denim, and have the perfect distressed wash/treatment in my opinion. But at $370-500, seems like you're pushing into true designer range, and it's hard to compete with Dior washes at that price point. Plus there's just too much distressing and the washes/overdye/fades/whatever going on on them now for me to consider wearing them. Just too much going on, and not my taste; combine that with a price point getting close to double what I paid 18 months ago and that's my reasoning for shying away.

Again, their normal color crewneck Ts are great for me, and I'll probably continue to buy them because they're the right fit. At least until the jet tee makes its appearance

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Now you're talking.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Who makes good travel bags? 5 days of spring weather, two pairs of sneaks, plus regular sw&d stuff and toiletries. Mission Workshop? Tom Bihn? Filson? Tom Bihn has 45L bag that still meets carry on requirements.

I think I want a carry-on bag but maybe I can be convinced otherwise and consider checked luggage.

NMWA has some stuff from Bonastre that I thought looked nice. Extra 20% off with some code (can't remember it, but I'm sure someone will chime in).

http://www.nomanwalksalone.com/index.php/makers/makersinfo/view/id/157/

Margiela also makes some nice looking leather duffles. And Frank Clegg Leatherworks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads