• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I buy white Nike Dry Fit crews from ndc and sometimes Amazon. I like the slight arch support and the increased padding in the heel area as well. Not to expensive. Seem to maintain their elasticity and comfort.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I feel like dieworkwear would have an answer to this but can anyone recommend some nice athletic crew socks that are made well? Got tired of searching and about to pull the trigger on some nike socks.

I don't know if I have any novel suggestions. I wear Nike, although I've heard good things from runners about Darn Tough.

Also think Hanes basic grey crew socks are good for the price. They're not padded or super luxurious or anything, but they're cheap, stay up on the calf (as much as crew socks can), and don't fall apart.

Last edited:

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know if I have any novel suggestions. I wear Nike, although I've heard good things from runners about Darn Tough.

Also think Hanes basic grey crew socks are good for the price. They're not padded or super luxurious or anything, but they're cheap, stay up on the calf (as much as crew socks can), and don't fall apart.
puma 6-packs from costco

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im going to Vancouver in late June, would be very happy with some suggestions for nice places/food/a bit of shopping?

also stuff in the area, hiking-ish?

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Roden gray, Haven, Neighbor. Inventory used to exist and were terrific but they went under.

Last edited:

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Im going to Vancouver in late June, would be very happy with some suggestions for nice places/food/a bit of shopping?

Capilano suspension bridge was pretty cool when I went. Super basic ***** though.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like dieworkwear would have an answer to this but can anyone recommend some nice athletic crew socks that are made well? Got tired of searching and about to pull the trigger on some nike socks.

I don't want any design, stripes is ok or gray heel/toe is fine but no stupid graphics, mostly cotton, and crew length.
Darn Tough - they are hands down the best athletic socks I've worn. They are mostly merino wool, though.

https://darntough.com/collections/mens-hunting/products/hunt-boot-sock-cushion?variant=30180792775

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You outdoorsy folks. I'm looking for something besides my NR single breasted (with liner) for travel. Nike ACG blazer system? Something from Arc'Teryx? This won't be for any camping. Maybe light hiking, but mostly city walking in the rain etc. Also footwear wise... just grab some Nike weather stuff? I have access to Columbia/Sorel/Mountain Hard Wear stuff for cheap.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also Neighbor in Vancouver.

I wear Smartwool running socks. Best I've tried.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

There's a section in downtown where a lot of the menswear shops are clustered. As someone mentioned above, Neighbour is great, as is Haven. This guy made a pretty comprehensive map:

http://louisd.com/post/114407265953/vancouver-mens-clothing-stores

There used to be a train that went up to Whistler, a ski resort town. Like a lot of ski resort towns, Whistler is kind of boring unless you're actually going to ski. The train ride is up very pretty though.

The city has a ton of great Chinese food, but I unfortunately can't name any names off the top of my head.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you go to Vancouver, you need to eat the best Chinese food outside, and even rivaling, China. Vancouver is especially good for Cantonese food, which is seafood based, and particularly, in Dim Sum, or "tea", as it's more properly called. Richmond is where all the Chinese are, so, seriously, any "Top 10" list is going to send you to any number of awesome places.

mythage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cool things in Vancouver minus tourist traps

Shopping: Neighbour (gastown) Roden Gray (gastown) Wings + Horns, Haven, Niftydo (jeans and leather)

Food: Phnom Penh (chinatown), Long's Noodle House (main st/mount pleasant), Strike taiwanese food, get the sizzling plate (richmond/vancouver), Fable restaurant, Meat & bread, Finch's, Vij's (no resos), Miku/Minami for kick ass modern japanese, Rain or Shine/Bella gelateria/earnest for ice cream, peaceful restaurant famous for spicy soup dumpling (main & cambie)

Hiking: capilano is a tourist trap but might be cool. I recommend Quarry Rock + deep cove, short hike and kayaking there. Also St. Mark's Summit (not sure how accessible by bus). Some parks - lighthouse park and whytecliff park near horseshoe bay. Stanley park is a must.

Go to whistler and pay the ridiculous dollars to ride the gondola up if you want. Not as cool in summer but still national geographic stuff

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If you go to Vancouver, you need to eat the best Chinese food outside, and even rivaling, China.  Vancouver is especially good for Cantonese food, which is seafood based, and particularly, in Dim Sum, or "tea", as it's more properly called.  Richmond is where all the Chinese are, so, seriously, any "Top 10" list is going to send you to any number of awesome places.

Chinese food there is really, really good.

There are also some Native American shops (I think near downtown?) that sell authentic cowichans. Feel like @Superb0bo would be into that.

Random list I found for Native American arts and galleries in the city.

http://www.insidevancouver.ca/2010/11/28/top-5-places-to-shop-for-first-nations-art-in-vancouver/

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You outdoorsy folks. I'm looking for something besides my NR single breasted (with liner) for travel. Nike ACG blazer system? Something from Arc'Teryx? This won't be for any camping. Maybe light hiking, but mostly city walking in the rain etc. Also footwear wise... just grab some Nike weather stuff? I have access to Columbia/Sorel/Mountain Hard Wear stuff for cheap.
For me, Arc'Teryx and Adidas or salomon trail shoe would be an easy pick, especially if you're going in the city and mountains. That's what I wear almost every weekend, and it'll take you basically anywhere (add outlier pants to become me).

I have had bad luck with Nike and Columbia, but have a pair of MHW snow pants I like.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads