• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

momentoftruth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ordered a couple sizes of AG jeans Nomads from Nordstrom, they were half-off and free returns. AG Jeans gives me a (probably uncalled-for) slightly LA-douchey vibe, but I'll try anything that has free shipping and returns

SoSo slim daryll high rise might be good. They have a black stretch fabric -

http://www.sosoclothing.se/fit-guide/

wow lot of options there, thanks. I'd prefer a 2- or 3% stretch, but I'll bookmark this

Last edited:

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

ordered a couple sizes of AG jeans Nomads from Nordstrom, they were half-off and free returns. AG Jeans gives me a (probably uncalled-for) slightly LA-douchey vibe, but I'll try anything that has free shipping and returns

wow lot of options there, thanks. I'd prefer a 2- or 3% stretch, but I'll bookmark this

I bought a pair from SoSo last year, and I'd describe the experience as 'mixed'. I ultimately ended up with a pair of jeans I was happy with, but there was a bunch of back and forth when my first pair came in more than a size too large (I'm a 30 waist and ended up going with a 27). Given, this was their 25-oz denim, so lighter stuff may be less of an issue.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can explain explain to me why front rises have gotten so short? We use to laugh about Somet's front rise but now like 9" is standard. I understand popularity of tapered now that people are using slimmer cuts. But shorter front rise is still beyond me.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Can explain explain to me why front rises have gotten so short? We use to laugh about Somet's front rise but now like 9" is standard. I understand popularity of tapered now that people are using slimmer cuts. But shorter front rise is still beyond me.

The cut has been around forever (see Jim Morrison), but the '90s stuff was started in womenswear by McQueen. Eventually bled into menswear as things got trimmed up.

futuresailors

Reaction score
Nudie Grim Tim?
been looking for "the one" pair of black stretch denim for a solid year now. Acne Ace is the best cut for me, but I'm always in between sizes and their zipper placement is a bit awkward for me. The rise on Uniqlo's skinny selvedge stretch is too short, not very comfy when I sit down though it has gotten better with wear.

Any brands I should check out sub-$250? Looking for no branding on the back pockets and no distressing. Wish APC would come out with a stretch version of the PNS but I can't find any at the mo

momentoftruth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wish I could thumb this a thousand times

lesamourai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
was cleaning out a few folders in my email and found this

never did get it. guess it's time to finally delete it

YoungM

Reaction score

Weird, I feel like the opposite has happened. I started wanting a high-waisted, slim jean probably 7-8 years ago because I wanted to copy CCP looks but wasn't in any position to drop $1k on jeans. I found them difficult, if not impossible to find. Now, it seems like there are a lot more mid to high-waisted options available (rather like the move towards larger thighs and pleats in trousers).

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd like to hike more this year but the idea of having to buy and store a bunch of gear is off putting.

check out geartrader.com

Stuff can be found for super cheap on backcountry.com ect... on sale.
All you need is some good shoes really, and a lightweight shell. Get out there!

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For what it's worth, I wouldn't wear them for any hiking. Ironically, these hiking style boots just plain aren't great for hiking (I've owned Danner, Diemme, Visvim Whympers, and the Guidis), because they're heavy, and while I'm all for wearing your expensive clothes like you would normally, the stuff that I get into gets pretty nasty (lots and lots of mud). They feel very solid, and great for putzing around and stuff, but there's just more mobility and comfort available elsewhere. The only boots that I've done some tougher hikes on and completely **** up but was still happy with were Vis Virgils, which are very lightweight and one of the most comfortable pairs of boots I've owned.

I guess I'm drawn to the look of hiking style boots mostly because it represents another side of my interests, but when I'm doing any hiking, I like being very mobile, so it's either hiking shoes or Redbacks. I'm thinking about picking up some RM Williams gardeners, which I think will be good for a general all-purpose footwear.

Solomon speedcross 3 have treated me well for backpacking, Ive given up on boots since im usually carrying light, and only short excursions.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
check out geartrader.com

Stuff can be found for super cheap on backcountry.com ect... on sale.
All you need is some good shoes really, and a lightweight shell. Get out there!
This. If you are doing a day hike, in temperate weather, and not in bear country, all you need is a shell jacket, some softshell pants (which you can get for about $50), a tee, some good shoes, and a water bottle.

If you are going for days or weeks, or going in cold weather, or going up into the mountains, those are going to get exponentially more complicated and expensive, but frankly, that is for only the self-selectedly masochistic.

Gruff

Reaction score
This. If you are doing a day hike, in temperate weather, and not in bear country, all you need is a shell jacket, some softshell pants (which you can get for about $50), a tee, some good shoes, and a water bottle.

If you are going for days or weeks, or going in cold weather, or going up into the mountains, those are going to get exponentially more complicated and expensive, but frankly, that is for only the self-selectedly masochistic.

And this is what I was getting at regarding the difference between dayhikes and backcountry hikes and the gear involved. A fun dayhike requires a minimal outlay of cash and is more akin to exercise. A backcountry trip takes significantly more planning.

That being said, I've done numerous backcountry hikes and overnight camping spanning several days at a stretch, with all my gear on my back. It sounds masochistic but keep in mind that people lived that way for thousands of years even before the first houses were even invented. You do get used to it and it's often quite enjoyable, even when the weather's not so great.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That being said, I've done numerous backcountry hikes and overnight camping spanning several days at a stretch, with all my gear on my back. It sounds masochistic but keep in mind that people lived that way for thousands of years even before the first houses were even invented. You do get used to it and it's often quite enjoyable, even when the weather's not so great.
I've done this. I'm not sure I like the actual hiking more than I like the accomplishment of having hiked X trail, or summitted X mountain, or walked Y ridge, etc...

But yes, you do get used to the pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads