• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noctone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lane splitting in the Bay Area seems like a terrifying prospect

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stores are cheap and don't want to get the hardware to read chips. They're also afraid of confusing customers (I'm serious).

Gas in California urban areas is some of the most expensive in the country, but still cheaper than Europe.

There are a lot of homeless people in SF and many other states and cities ship their homeless people over here because we have "better" support systems for homeless and mental health.

It's funny because in 2 or 3 of the self-service gas stations I couldn't use my european debit card (due to using swipe + post code verification, it seems it expects US post codes only so as soon as I entered my local postcode the machine said "see cashier") and the first time it happened I went to talk to the cashier and she told me how much I wanted to take from my card so since I wanted a full tank I did a quick calculation: here the most I have paid for a refill was around 70 euro (I think my car has a 55 litre tank, 14 gallons according to Google) so I thought "well that's about $80" so I said $80. She looked over my shoulder and said "is that Toyota (a Corolla) your car?". I said yes and she laughed, saying that something like $30 or $40 would be more than enough, and it definitely was.

People are ignorant, stubborn, and/or selfish. There are some people who believe that no one should be driving above the speed limit, so they refuse to move over in order to teach all those evil speeders a lesson.

Yes I've seen some of those, it's a stupid reasoning. A rule is that you must use the rightmost lane if available. So yeah, in order to try to "enforce" a rule upon you they're breaking another rule (for which you can get a ticket). Makes a lot of sense.

In any case I hardly saw any speeding at all, and when I saw it it was not really serious. And I did lots of miles on those 11 days.

mickey, where are you from? funny to hear your appreciation for american fire trucks.

I'm from Spain. Here we have this:

The US has this (or at least San Francisco):

It's not fair.

Same goes for regular trucks. The american ones with their elongated "noses" (don't know the right term in English) are beautiful, especially if they have those exhaust "horns".

Most of the european trucks have flat noses and the cabin looks like a cube, basically.

Last edited:

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can lanesplit in Cali.
redface.gif
You actually can't anymore - I think they changed the rule last year. (You were never really allowed to, but there was an ambiguity that allowed the option to motorcycles)

Eddiee

Reaction score
Lol says the dude who made a y!jp auctions tee shirt. Sifting through his stuff is the best part! Most of it would never work for me but its so interesting to see all the different details and references in his work.
I meant moreso in the sense of finding something that's 'right' for you. I put in the time to search but others might get tired of looking at x0000 listings of black garments lol

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Just came back from my first trip to the US. In 11 days I visited Los Angeles, Palm Springs, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Sequoia National Park, Yosemite and San Francisco, all by car, so pretty hectic.

Few thoughts:

- The beauty of the three national parks I visited is astonishing. Paying $30 to access each one is well worth it and I hope the money goes mainly to preserve them. Unfortunately we didn't have time to visit Death Valley.

- Didn't care much for the cities (but this was even before going, I wanted to see mainly the national parks). I did like SF much better than LA, though (sorry LA people), but in 2 or 3 days at most it's hard to tell. Tons of homeless people in both cities, in every corner, I was shocked. Las Vegas represents everything I don't like (night life, gambling, etc.) but it's bizarre so definitely an experience. Palm Springs is quite photogenic but I wonder why anyone would want to live there, especially considering that it must be quite expensive. My phone said it was 45ºC when I was there (113ºF), by the way.

- Despite the intimidating size of most cars (America really loves its huge pick ups), drivers are way more respectful than what I'm used to (try driving in southern Europe, especially Italy...). No tailgatting, racing (except for a couple of assholes near Yosemite), attention whores revving up (god, so many of those over here with their ****** cars, it's always ****** cars...), hands on the horn all the time... The only thing that struck me as wrong was people constantly overtaking on the right lanes due to other drivers refusing to move to the right, is that allowed there? It does happen in larger cities here as well, though. Also, I had to Google how to deal with 4 way stops as we don't have those over here (it's all roundabouts). Ah, american lorries are beautiful in general, firefighter ones in particular. Loved the cheap gas prices too, especially since I had to fill the tank multiple times.

- Tips are a nightmare for someone not used to them. I knew I was supposed to tip between 15 and 20% but I had no idea how to do it when paying by card, and I actually had to ask (you know, they bring you the bill, you give them your card, they swipe it, then you get a receipt where you specify the tip and total and then sign it). And BTW, what's up with still using magnetic band + signature everywhere instead of the chip + pincode? Also I kept forgetting the sales tax. I don't know why it's not included in the prices at the stores, like VAT here.

- Didn't really went to clothing shops or anything, and wasn't looking for great food experiences either.

All in all, a wonderful experience.

Damn wish i knew you were in Sf, i'd grab a drink...

Also tipping is even more of a pain after many drinks.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The "Hillary sucks, but not like Monica" Tee is crude, but funny.

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Visvim at Pitti.

Ts(s) F/W lookbook.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Need glasses advice. Now that I'm bald, I'm looking for a bolder pair of frames, preferably with clip-ons. I know the Moscots have clips, but I'm not sure about the rest.

Album will only stay up for a limited time since I'm too lazy to edit out my face and anonymize it. (Please don't repost pics to SF, and ignore the crazy eyes. Thanks.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads