• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gustavobradley

Reaction score
Feels like Gr@iled is rapidly declining under its own weight. There is simply too much fluff to browse through anymore. Even with my filters applied, every other item is Supreme, Bape or some other equally-garish hypebeast piece of junk.

There are also too many people selling $50 baseball caps. I was looking just now, and there is seriously somebody selling a Uniqlo shirt for $20. How is that possibly worth the effort to even take the photos? Feels like the entire site is becoming populated by 15 year-olds.

I almost wish they would create different sections, one for more streetwear oriented stuff and one for artisanal and higher-end brands.

The thing is, they do have that. It'd be a pain **********, but if they actually enforced it (ie certain brands automatically get filtered into "hype" or "basic") that'd make browsing way better. No secret that Grilled is trying to cater to the "designer streetwear" crowd mostly. Can't really blame them either, as it seems to be where most of the consistent/high-turnover money is.

Last edited:

msg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The thing is, they do have that. It'd be a pain **********, but if they actually enforced it (ie certain brands automatically get filtered into "hype" or "basic") that'd make browsing way better. No secret that Grilled is trying to cater to the "designer streetwear" crowd mostly. Can't really blame them either, as it seems to be where most of the consistent/high-turnover money is. 

And yet according to Fok on SF, it's the CM side that drives B&S. Arguably, the guys buying that stuff probably have higher income and more money to spend, like how your average iron man amateur earns $300k in their day job: expensive hobby. But they're also peculiar about how they like to shop. For that crowd browsing Grailed might be like taking your grandfather to a wu-tang show

Last edited:

gustavobradley

Reaction score
@msg That doesn't totally surprise me, and speaks more towards the demographics of the two sites. SF definitely serves a niche for CM, and it makes sense that that's where the bulk of the B&S activity comes from. It might be a product of me not looking, but I've never come across a market or site that caters to that customer in that way. I'm also assuming that, for Grilled, it evens out through volume: selling 10 Supreme shirts for every one or two real "Grail" pieces, for example. Quick, easy, pays the bills, etc.

Last edited:

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They've said in a few different interviews that the average sale price is $150, that's definitely much more supreme than HL. At least they're working on a way to make offers "binding" although I do t see how it would make a huge difference in flakes. And what is the total fee on grailed now? 9.5?

Last edited:

Mehran

Reaction score
They've said in a few different interviews that the average sale price is $150, that's definitely much more supreme than HL. At least they're working on a way to make offers "binding" although I do t see how it would make a huge difference in flakes. And what is the total fee on grailed now? 9.5?

6% transaction fee and Paypal fees (which they probably get a bulk discount on). It depends on how they structure the transaction, but anywhere from 8%-10% sounds right. I haven't sold anything on Grailed in a long long time, so I can't run exact numbers.

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice weather is nice but real winters allow for real jawnz aka outerwear.

The most reasonable chunky derbies are DM 1461 Monos. The toebox of most American models are too slim.

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice weather is nice but real winters allow for real jawnz aka outerwear.

The most reasonable chunky derbies are DM 1461 Monos. The toebox of most American models are too slim.

Actually the 1461 monos toebox is more tapered than regular 1461. That, along the lack of half sizes, is bothering my pinky toe.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And yet according to Fok on SF, it's the CM side that drives B&S. Arguably, the guys buying that stuff probably have higher income and more money to spend, like how your average iron man amateur earns $300k in their day job: expensive hobby. But they're also peculiar about how they like to shop. For that crowd browsing Grailed might be like taking your grandfather to a wu-tang show
Cappadonna has two grandkids

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Yes, San Francisco is a great place to meet people from all rich walks of life.

Perfect place to meet whites and asians from all walks of computer programing life? There's also Mr. Moo if you want to dadmeet. Not sure where the uncle-nephew thing happens though, that must be the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics