• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think my favorite part of the TOJ thread is every 75 posts or so, somebody new comes into the conversation and essentially says, "Guys, look, what we need to do is....". As if somehow, people will read that post and think to themselves, "yes, he's got it, let's form a collective action around this guy's plan".

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't even go in that thread anymore. It's a clusterfuck of name calling and sadness and I feel horrible for everybody involved it.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can't even go in that thread anymore. It's a clusterfuck of name calling and sadness and I feel horrible for everybody involved it.

i use to get embarrassed just to see people embarrass themselves, but now i embrace it and love it.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

i use to get embarrassed just to see people embarrass themselves, but now i embrace it and love it.

I find it awkward as ****, when people embarrass them self in front of me, it happens way too often.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To talk about something else, what do people think of photorealistic print? Moooi is starting to do carpets, Adidas has sneakers with it and Orlebar Brown has been doing swimming trunks for a couple years now.

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score
It was a novel idea at first but now I'd prefer to see a well designed print rather than just slapping a photo on some cloth. It's more creative, more human.

It's a lot like contemporary art. It's all rooted in the technology available to make certain pieces and it removes the artists' touch from the work.

VitaTimH

Reaction score
Thoughts on essential oils / aromatherapy?

If anyone remembers, I made a somewhat tongue-in-cheek post a while back complaining about my mom purchasing several hundred dollars worth of essential oils to bring back from the States. I've basically spent my time visiting home being a guinea pig for the various balms and rubs she's concocted with them, with potions for everything ranging from sleep-coughing to gingivitis to reduced eye strain. Being a bit of a skeptic, I've looked into the scientific literature and found evidence for both medical efficacy as well as for utter uselessness.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter? My mom bought these solely for her own enjoyment so it doesn't strike me as a multilevel marketing scheme or anything sinister like that. However she has developed the concerning practice of unquestioningly accepting pro-essential oil anecdotal evidence without much skepticism, as well as paranoia regarding more conventional medical treatments (behavior that's also found in antivax people, gluten-free people without celiac, etc.).

On one hand, it's great that my mom has found a hobby to interest her in what's essentially retirement, and $~700 isn't a life-changing sum of money. On the other hand I really hope she isn't being taken in by quackery. On the other, other hand, I'm not an expert myself and may be the one who's wrong here, but can't find a definitive answer in the scientific literature... to be fair, my cough did go away after snorting tea tree vapors daily, but that's hardly a bulletproof argument for causation.

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score
My ex, who based everyone one of her decisions in life on tarot readings or astrology, was getting deep into essential oils around the time we broke up.

I imagine the bs rating of essential oils is slightly lower than tarot/astrology but I've always grouped them into the same bucket since then. Same bucket as organized religions.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's likely total quackery, but from a brain health perspective, I imagine it's probably a great hobby in terms of staving off the mental decline that usually hits post-retirement. Much better than immersive tv shows, or whatever it is most people do.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thoughts on essential oils / aromatherapy?

If anyone remembers, I made a somewhat tongue-in-cheek post a while back complaining about my mom purchasing several hundred dollars worth of essential oils to bring back from the States. I've basically spent my time visiting home being a guinea pig for the various balms and rubs she's concocted with them, with potions for everything ranging from sleep-coughing to gingivitis to reduced eye strain. Being a bit of a skeptic, I've looked into the scientific literature and found evidence for both medical efficacy as well as for utter uselessness.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter? My mom bought these solely for her own enjoyment so it doesn't strike me as a multilevel marketing scheme or anything sinister like that. However she has developed the concerning practice of unquestioningly accepting pro-essential oil anecdotal evidence without much skepticism, as well as paranoia regarding more conventional medical treatments (behavior that's also found in antivax people, gluten-free people without celiac, etc.).

On one hand, it's great that my mom has found a hobby to interest her in what's essentially retirement, and $~700 isn't a life-changing sum of money. On the other hand I really hope she isn't being taken in by quackery. On the other, other hand, I'm not an expert myself and may be the one who's wrong here, but can't find a definitive answer in the scientific literature... to be fair, my cough did go away after snorting tea tree vapors daily, but that's hardly a bulletproof argument for causation.

Some are useful, most are overrated. "Thieves oil" is highly antiseptic and also ingestible. Capable of knocking out a cold if taken in water before the bug works its way through your throat (take three times a day in water, three drops only, when you get that pre-cold tickle). Also good to guard against dodgy sushi. Tea tree oil has many uses.

I've found oregano oil taken in a capsule to settle the stomach. Peppermint too, which is also good for gas. Lavender oil is good for preventing burn marks from minor first degree burns.

I keep these in my medicine cabinet right with the western medicines.

Far as I know, most oils don't do more than smell nice. And if it's not completely 100% pure, it's ****.

Last edited:

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my wife sprinkles some lavender oil on my pillow occasionally. i enjoy the smell--definitely makes me feel relaxed and i think i sleep better.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's a **** ton to be made on semi-medicinal quackery. the placebo effect has real results; @vitatimh, i support your mom in getting that money.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like my eucalyptus oil. Smells nice. Was only 10 bucks at tjmaxx so no real skin off my back

That's my official medical opinion

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your feet get bigger as you get older, especially if you spend a lot of time on your feet. It's a sad and painful lesson I've recently learned. :(

edit: They're not truly "getting bigger", but your arches start to flatten out a little, which means your shoe size goes up even if the physical mass of your feet doesn't increase.

Ive gone from a 12 to a 13 in the last couple of years (+ even balder and white beard coming along). Gotten rid of so many shoes and boots. But atleast I usually get it right now..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads