• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's odd. Seems like DH were the only jeans I made money on! All others were sold at a loss. Didn't intend to profit at the beginning... just the way the market played out at the time. Think I sold my last pair maybe 4-5 years ago? Wish I'd kept at least one. Great fit.

ShoutOutsFoMyBo

Reaction score
not everyone has the luxury of living close to a large body of water. sure you could take a bath with your jeans on, but its just not the same. plus you've got to spend all the money on gas driving to the beach, rolling around in the sand, swimming around like an idiot. then you have to go to the gym and do squats in your wet jeans. now your jeans don't fit because your quads are huge and you've got pneumonia. also you lost your job because you're always covered in sand. you're saving money in the long run.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
size down 1, but narrow.

Omega Man

Reaction score
I am trying to decide between Wings+Horns field pants (http://shop.wingsandhorns.com/collections/bottoms/products/broken-twill-field-pant-grey) and Battenwear bouldering pants (https://www.superdenim.com/us/bouldering-pants-olive.html)

Though I wear jeans a ton, I want some pants that I can just wear with some hightops that will give me all day comfort, particularly if I am going on and off planes (which suck, in case anyone really didn't know), or schlepping around after working out my legs (jeans get constricting when your legs are even a bit swollen up.

Fok, a quick question for you. I think you got the W&H Field pants, do you like the fit? I read the descriptions in the W&H webshop and noticed they said relaxed seat. Are they meant to be "baggy"?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fok, a quick question for you. I think you got the W&H Field pants, do you like the fit? I read the descriptions in the W&H webshop and noticed they said relaxed seat. Are they meant to be "baggy"?
I never got them (yet), but I did see them at Man Paris last year. They are not baggy throughout, but they do have more room in the seat and thighs and taper down significantly.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

In that case I'm glad I sized down to a 33.

I ordered the "one wash" which I imagine will shrink the jeans but I'm considering changing that to "no wash". But I'm not sure which option is best. Did you get wash or no?

With a wash it will shrink a bit but I read on the FAQ page someone responding that it stretches back.

Is there a benefit to the wash? Or no wash is better for break in?

i think zissou answered the question best below :)

It is always better to soak or hand wash in a tub. Throwing jeans in a washer takes out too much of the starch, and often puts heavy creases in the denim. An initial soak is nice if you want to soften them up a little, and get the texture of the denim to pop. I usually just wear them straight out of the box, though.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sinnedk did you get those pants in yet? They're 18oz but they're really soft -- don't really need a soak to break in.

Omega Man

Reaction score
Thanks, Fok. The W&H twill pants are on sale in the webstore. They are going for a song given the current F/X rates.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some footwear stuff (for reference I am a 10-10.5ish with a relatively wide forefoot, take 43 MMM gats, 10.5 nike, 9 redback boots, I would say those are perfect fits: snug, but comfy, no compression or heel slippage, wearing thin or thick socks):

Hender Scheme Timbz

I took a size 6 and they fit nicely. The forefoot is a bit tight, with a bit of room in the heel. Some room in the toebox. Don't think I could size down or up. Leather is super soft and supple, very pink colored to my eyes right out of the box (think wipipo pink, like flesh crayon colored). Sole is a very useless leather sole that is embossed to look like Timb soles (neat but dumb). Will get a topy before use or replace with timb gum colored commandos, I haven't decided yet. No eyelets which bothers me a little so I might add my own (is this stupid?). Construction feels really solid but I'm not gonna pretend like I know too much about that. I think the best part is the natural leather, which feels really nicely and will turn into a great color with wear. I think Hender sneakers look terrible once they get a patina but I think it'll look amazing on boots like timbs after some hard wear and dirt. Overall, I'm very happy with the purchase, $470 is a good deal on them, but I don't think I would pay more (for reference, $600 is the ceiling for most of what I would pay for footwear because I'm small potatoes). I would really recommend purchasing if you've been on the fence from them. Get them from Bureau. I had a lovely experience.

MMM "campus" side zips (mr porter)

Took size 44 and they are too small. I think a 44.5 would do OK for me or even a 45. I think this particular model might just not fit for me because of my wide forefoot, because I felt pretty comfortable with the length. High shaft, a bit wider than their normal side zips, chunkier sole and big heel, I ******* love this thing. If it fit me I would definitely keep it. The leather is very nice, buttery and soft but still feels really tough. Mine had a guidi tote inside so it might be guidi leather, zips are solidly built, and the color is incredible. Overall, to me, one of the best pairs of MMM boots I've seen, and for my personal style, one of the few ones I would own. The chunkier sole just makes it a dream. I would totally keep if it fit, and they don't have my size anymore. I think this'll get dropped to 70% off around the 10th, if the past sales drops have been any indication, which at that point it's a steal. But sizing is difficult, and Mr Porter even recommends going up a size like I did. I think it's best for someone with narrower feet. Returned.

Guidi short mountain boots:

Took size 44 as is the general convention for these boots (size up 1). Fit was tight at first and small, but it's really broken in to be very nice comfortable, which is surprising because when I purchased them, I assumed they would be more used, but when I got them they were essentially new (still had that weird squished distorted look of guidis and soaked boots in general). The color is a magnificent deep, dark green with a rich brown base, the laces are naturally dyed (but very flimsy, imo, so I switched them out to some Danner laces), the rusted hardware is a very lovely touch. Padded collar is very comfortable. A little heel slippage but I think that's pretty normal for boots with wider bridges and heels. Definitely can't size down even half because of the length. Completely worth it, $450 is robbery, and if you're in the market for fashunz hiking style boots, these are awesome and so worth it.

Viberg 2030 last (Notre captoe service boots 2030 last 9.5, Mr Porter Scout boots 2030 last 10 )

Notres are tight and hurt. Mr Porter ones there's a lot of room in the toebox and lots of heel slippage. I don't know. I can't get this right. e0d9 recommended I keep the 9.5s and just break 'em in, because apparently that's just what Vibergs are like, which I'm trying. But it's not fun. Mr Porter ones were returned. Overall, Viberg boots are super badass and built amazingly, and I really, really, really hope the 9.5s break in. Viberg is probably making some of my favorite boots currently, and if I hadn't picked up the Hender Scheme timbs, I was very close to picking up the tobacco chamois apsleys. Still might, cuz *******

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sinnedk did you get those pants in yet? They're 18oz but they're really soft -- don't really need a soak to break in.

yes I did in a 32. My problem is with the thigh area, it's freaking huge, I'm either going to size down or get something else.

Donut

Reaction score
Great cops Gtran, I would love to grab at least one from that selection of boots only if my carpes sold. Appreciate the reviews for each too!

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love all these posts where people talk about their thoughts before and/or after kopping

ugh I wrote off the guidi hikers because they seemed too fashion and not actually wearable for hiking, but if @g transistor, who actually spends time
in the great outdoors approves, I need to reconsider...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads