• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
if you're taking suggestions, a slightly more specific search function would be great for B&S. maybe with tick boxes to show active listings or filtering sizes.

it's nice that it's free though! I'm not complaining.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you're taking suggestions, a slightly more specific search function would be great for B&S. maybe with tick boxes to show active listings or filtering sizes.

it's nice that it's free though! I'm not complaining.
We will be getting size filtering. There is already a tick box for active listings (*cough* @Parker not paying attention even after all these years *cough*), and we are hoping to incorporate an existing technology so that you can search for brands as well (as long as people tag their listings with the brand - we are working on this as well. To be frank, the dev on the software has not really been to my satisfaction, and our tech partners know that. But I cannot personally change that all by my lonesome, or even by hiring my own developers. Such is the downside of working with a tech partner, the upside being security, platform stability, a API, apparently in the works, so that we can build a styleforum app, etc...

Even then, the strength of our B&S system is not going to be the interface. It's the wide open format alongside the community. Sort of like Craigslist, but with the safety of a much more connected community, which makes reputation much more meaningful. If you interact with people every day for discussion, you don't want to be the dude who lowballs everyone, or who is always out to get the very highest price out of your fellow forumites, or be the dude who backs out of every deal, etc...

Something like Grailed is good for one off sales, but there is no provision for the big sellers, who like a place like Styleforum because it essentially allows for massive numbers of listings with minimal work, and essentially at no financial cost unless you are trying to move a large amount of goods in a short time. For a single item seller, a high ROI is not as likely.

One other thing that I am trying to partner with someone with (we've been talking for a few monthes now) is real cashbacks. No "credit" or whatever, though that may be available as well. I have no interest in locking people in by only giving credits. Of course, if you want a credit and/or to waive returns, then that would be reflected in the amount you get back, because it would shift more risk to the buyer, which would make the cost to us lower, and would be something we'd be happy to pass on.

End of the day, we do want to make money, but we want to do so in non-exploitative ways that actually benefit the members of the community, because unlike a lot of other "community" businesses. Maybe that's because Styleforum started as a community, not a way to cash in on "filling a niche".

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Selling online is getting worse. Aside from the hordes on grailed that ask questions and never respond to answers, submit offers then don't pay, add to fitting room and wait until it's $11 and then send you an offer for $5...
I just got a decent offer on eBay so I accepted and now 3 days later he hasn't paid or responded to any of my polite messages asking if he needs more time or simply changed his mind, just so I at least know what's going on.
This sucks.

I expect fast shipping, good communications, etc... On the flip side, I always pay, in full, no further negotiations (because that is bullshit), within an hour of winning, on the outside. Usually, it's immediately after getting notification that I've won.

I think that maybe people are just getting shittier, in general. There is a great sense of entitlement that if you paid for something, you are are the boss. There has been a disintegration of the concept that commerce is mutually beneficial.

nomed

Reaction score

goddammit i think we have a package thief in our building... missing UPS boxes for my OC kops + RAM upgrade :angry: going to contact the stores to see what they can do but any tips on this subject?

Have it sent to you apartment office, or get a PO Box

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I may also relax the rules for very specific threads to allow the niche communities to say something simple like "Hey, I have X for sale, you guys interested?" as long as the listing is in our B&S, not offsite.  After all, this is a community, and that is our strength.  

This would be nice, especially if we can encourage people to make posts like this in the appropriate thread. It's pretty frustrating when I realize I've missed, say, a pair of AW12 Cabourn Harris Tweed trousers on B&S because I don't scour it every day. Swapping clothes between the small group of Cabourn, Yohji, Margiela, whatever, devotees is what it should be all about.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Yeah. I need to figure out a way to put it in the rules in both B&S and on the main forum so someone can see it immediately. You guys have ideas? A lot of the time, more nuanced guidelines like this are hard to understand for new users, and gets them into trouble unless the "subcommunity" is good at gentle reminders and self-policing.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The John Elliott thread is full of people buying and selling fwiw. But that thread is a pretty closed group, most of the contributors don't post on any other threads at all.

Card

Reaction score
Hey Styleforum! Long time no see...

(Used to post here under another account, which ive long lost the password too)

Last edited:

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
hook me up at mckinsey then

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
@Artisan Fan just posted yesterday in the barbour thread ~_~;;

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads