• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Man it's crazy how expensive **** has gotten. I was looking at new arrivals on porter and a 50% acrylic jcrew (lulz) sweater is $160, a poly blend polo sweatshirt is $100, neighborhood henley $170. Not to mention **** like slp backpacks for $900, tom ford wool (not cashmere) sweaters over $2k now etc. Yes I know about inflation fok and cost of raw materials and such bullshit excuses but the increases far outpace things like that. There's hardly much value in most nice clothing these days, I feel bad for the dus getting into the game at this point. I don't really need anything but I occasionally look and it's nice to see suspension point and nmwa selling brands that offer solid value. This has become a big deal for me when I consider something, I scoff at so called luxury items with unjustified prices. Who the **** is buying this **** and more importantly who's sustaining this climbing ceiling? I'm sure they're padding prices to offset the massive sales that have become the norm as well.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was Googling Reinhard Plank stockists looking for hats and found out that the dude himself is here in town for a hat making event for another hour or so

On the cross-town train now, hope they still have hats!

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score

Man it's crazy how expensive **** has gotten. I was looking at new arrivals on porter and a 50% acrylic jcrew (lulz) sweater is $160, a poly blend polo sweatshirt is $100, neighborhood henley $170. Not to mention **** like slp backpacks for $900, tom ford wool (not cashmere) sweaters over $2k now etc. Yes I know about inflation fok and cost of raw materials and such bullshit excuses but the increases far outpace things like that. There's hardly much value in most nice clothing these days, I feel bad for the dus getting into the game at this point. I don't really need anything but I occasionally look and it's nice to see suspension point and nmwa selling brands that offer solid value. This has become a big deal for me when I consider something, I scoff at so called luxury items with unjustified prices. Who the **** is buying this **** and more importantly who's sustaining this climbing ceiling?
I'm sure they're padding prices to offset the massive sales that have become the norm as well.

This is it. The retail prices are set with the thought that at 30-40% off they will still make their margin. We always did it when I worked in corporate companies, but now luxury brands are forced to follow along with this model because almost nobody will buy anything unless it's on sale these days.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
@Jet is also have a Norse project tee I like but it is heavier cotton, maybe you want something lighter.

Fashion price are bullshit, they do not only outpace inflation, they outpace other luxury categories. If you look at old Lanvin it was expensive but at least they used high quality custom fabrics and buttons. Now it's just some average cotton dress shirt with a lame print and $850 slp price tag or whatever.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a waxed cotton parka with wool lining and a rabbit fur lined hood. It's starting to possibly smell? How do I wash it? Worried about the wax coming off if I use detergent or something

Last edited:

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
dry clean it. if it still smells after that, hang it outside and let it air out.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
sorry missed the waxed part hahaha i just woke up after a nap. just let it air out in the sun and see if that helps first.

Last edited:

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Man it's crazy how expensive **** has gotten. I was looking at new arrivals on porter and a 50% acrylic jcrew (lulz) sweater is $160, a poly blend polo sweatshirt is $100, neighborhood henley $170. Not to mention **** like slp backpacks for $900, tom ford wool (not cashmere) sweaters over $2k now etc. Yes I know about inflation fok and cost of raw materials and such bullshit excuses but the increases far outpace things like that. There's hardly much value in most nice clothing these days, I feel bad for the dus getting into the game at this point. I don't really need anything but I occasionally look and it's nice to see suspension point and nmwa selling brands that offer solid value. This has become a big deal for me when I consider something, I scoff at so called luxury items with unjustified prices. Who the **** is buying this **** and more importantly who's sustaining this climbing ceiling? I'm sure they're padding prices to offset the massive sales that have become the norm as well.

agree. more demand these days so those brands don't need to provide the same value they use to do make the same profits.

msg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was about to ask, if anyone actually buys stuff from porter at retail.

Yes, absolutely. There's a bunch of ultra wealthy, celebs, etc who will buy without blinking. There was a profile a while back in Vogue or whatever and a bunch of the celebs interviewed all listed MrP as their favorite shopping site. Good PR, too.

It's an interesting idea : How do you market to both the top 1% and the guy eating ramen to save for SLP? The latter helps you move inventory at sales time, but it's the former that sustains your business.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads