• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

worakl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a 032C piece a couple of issues ago about this concept of "The Big Flat Now" which in some ways echo those sentiments about culture kind of "stalling" in the digital age we're living through, here's part of it:

"Nowness and flatness are not just conditions affecting the present. They have colonized other times too. The ability to view vast volumes of data and records from the past, as well as grasp a variety of positions on the future, means that there is no longer any meaningful separation between other eras and our own. Indeed, history is today understood as a kind of alternative present, still happening somewhere else."

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
"Nowness and flatness are not just conditions affecting the present. They have colonized other times too.

Yeah, it's kinda wild how we can pretty instantly reference whatever images/decades we want thru youtube or google. Previous generations would have to trawl through magazines or books or VHS tapes to get references.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go back? You have to go all the way around to get back. But when you do, it won't be the same as when you left.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Following styleforum since my late teens has given my the sensibilities of a late 20s professional. I'm 20 and how do i go back

how much uniqlo do you own? start owning more. then buy muji.

buy enough and you'll reach a transcendental point where you start saying things like "I realize that clothes as a hobby is only a waste of time and money, used only to mask the anxiety and insecurity embedded deep in my soul by outwardly signaling that I am a part of some group of taste makers. My identity was built around how I presented myself to the rest of the world while putting down others for their own fashion choices. I don't wear anything but Uniqlo and Muji now (their basics are very good), and spend most of my time and money on experiences (building gundam models) and relationships (with my local gundam model dealer)"

take a break from SF. Just... stop. Just drop off the face of the earth. Disappear, like grains of salt in a sandstorm.

and then come back a few years later talking about how "i can't watch crunchy roll without being bombarded by LGBT anime and chobits"

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how much uniqlo do you own? start owning more. then buy muji.

buy enough and you'll reach a transcendental point where you start saying things like "I realize that clothes as a hobby is only a waste of time and money, used only to mask the anxiety and insecurity embedded deep in my soul by outwardly signaling that I am a part of some group of taste makers. My identity was built around how I presented myself to the rest of the world while putting down others for their own fashion choices. I don't wear anything but Uniqlo and Muji now (their basics are very good), and spend most of my time and money on experiences (building gundam models) and relationships (with my local gundam model dealer)"

take a break from SF. Just... stop. Just drop off the face of the earth. Disappear, like grains of salt in a sandstorm.

and then come back a few years later talking about how "i can't watch crunchy roll without being bombarded by LGBT anime and chobits"

very good post. But ya you can look good in uniqlo. it's all you really need. I think fashion has become interesting again to me, because I can't vocalize how I feel without being passive aggressive, haha.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
but you aren't just talking about fashion Lane

ya heaven forbid people have different opinions. Thats the problem with people like you. You want a society that is all "forward-thinking" yet you can't fathom that others may have differing opinions. You wan't to silence anyone that isn't congruent with what you deem just - It has gotten to a point that even people like me who celebrate extremes are sick of it. (I wear skirts ;)).

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Area Goth Ninja Is Fiscally Conservative But Socially Awkward

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads