• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't heard Live mentioned in quite a while. Is it just me or did all the bands in 90's suck? The grunge thing doesn't hold up very well. I was in Seattle in the early 90's and liked it at the time but can only play Nirvana's Unplugged anymore. Don't even like Pearl Jam. And they all dressed poorly. :cloud:

All the other bands sounded the same. Semisonic, Third Eye Blind, Live, Gin Blossoms (okay, I liked them the most of that genre), Better Than Ezra and many more. Lots of throwaways. I do remember Toad the Wet Sprocket as being a decent band, though.

I miss the print version of Paste magazine with it's good writing and sampler cd. Still online but not quite the same.

Not my favourite decade either. Still, I have much love for The Bends/OK Computer and Pulp's Different Class.

bencap

Reaction score
Maybe it's the nostalgia factor, because I started discovering music on my own in the mid/late 90s, but I still listen to a ton of grunge/alt-rock/indie bands from that decade, in addition to being the best decade for death metal.

I'm also apparently in the minority here but I think kurt's (clothing) style was totally killer. The trends he inspired... not so much.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i really like kurt cobain's style and the trends he helped inspire. needles and number nine can be kind of grungey in a good way. there's some bad stuff, like R13, but i feel like that's true for everything. under the best tailoring houses in the world are a bunch of ill-fitting suits.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Live and OutKast on the same playlist. I'm solidly GenX.

I'm not talking about genre, I'm talking about quality. Maroon 5 is bland catchy pop rock without any depth. Outkast has released its fair share of junk too but it also has a back catalogue of some of the best albums from the 90s/early 2000s.

edit: I don't actually know the original context for why they were brought up together so maybe I'm missing something

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not my favourite decade either. Still, I have much love for The Bends/OK Computer and Pulp's Different Class.
I forgot about Radiohead. I’m a huge R.E.M. fan but they began to falter in the 90’s.

Racing Green

Reaction score
edit: I don't actually know the original context for why they were brought up together so maybe I'm missing something

Super Bowl HT Show
big-boi-super-bowl.png

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm also apparently in the minority here but I think kurt's (clothing) style was totally killer. The trends he inspired... not so much.

I'd go in the reverse and say it's almost an axiom that Kurt had great clothing style, which has inspired numerous designers. In fact, the success of SLP (as opposed to the old YSL) was very much riffing on Kurt's fashion.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gotta admit the associations with heroin give me pause afa personal style. not that the references aren't good but i wonder how accessible those modes really are

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a certified Pats hater (Jets fan :oops:), but Brady just won his 6th title, I assume he could gaf about his "narrative"

I think 'Tom vs. Time' is forever proof that Brady cares very much about narrative.

I'd go in the reverse and say it's almost an axiom that Kurt had great clothing style, which has inspired numerous designers. In fact, the success of SLP (as opposed to the old YSL) was very much riffing on Kurt's fashion.

I don't think Kurt gaf about fashion. He was literally shopping at the Goodwill 'cause he didn't have any money.

90's music = Rad Nobody talks about them today, but STP is the ****. Can't wait for another 20 years when they own classic rock radio stations.

Also, I'm patiently waiting for @conceptual 4est to bring up Aphex Twin.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think 'Tom vs. Time' is forever proof that Brady cares very much about narrative.

I don't think Kurt gaf about fashion. He was literally shopping at the Goodwill 'cause he didn't have any money.
90's music = Rad Nobody talks about them today, but STP is the ****. .
Yeah, nothing fashionable about the grunge dudes, even Cobain. I thought "Heroin Chic" faded in popularity? (EDITED by me)
STP was fun but I never play them anymore.

Last edited:

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Junya sizing TTS? If so, is there a big difference between sizes?. Looking at shirts.

bencap

Reaction score
With the amount of people dying daily from the opiate crisis in the US, it might not be the most tasteful thing to make jokes about. Just a thought.

My comment about not liking the trends Kurt inspired wasn't very well thought through, as a couple of you guys made me realize. Plus, we owe him for making chunky cardigans cool, don't we?

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plus, Kurt's lack of attention to fashion was and is fashionable. That's sort of the point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads