• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Slin

Reaction score
@RegisDB9 I like the second one, stripes at the bottom of the shirt are quite interesting.

I guess it is a reference to Cuban stripes patterns.

thin_stripes-t2.jpg

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
i don’t know much about camp shirts nor do i know much about the effects that social media and internet shopping has on clothing design but i do know that i’m having a hard time deciding which of these shirts to buy

View attachment 944625
View attachment 944627

That's a tough one. Unicorns are magical animals, but horses are the most magical non-magical animals.
My first and last Floral/Hawaiian shirts. Margiela has never put out a decent camp collar shirt so I went with Valentino...they call them “Cuban” shirts which I guess was half the reason I got them

View attachment 944662
View attachment 944663
View attachment 944664

Speaking of erryone using the same fabrics, WvG made a shirt using the pineapple print.

Except the WvG version bothered to match the pattern across panels :hide:

happyriverz

Reaction score
Are Margiela shoes' quality really as bad as people say they are? I've been looking for a pair of side zips, and so far, to my eyes, Margiela has the best shapes, but I'm a bit weary about all the things said about the quality.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Are Margiela shoes' quality really as bad as people say they are? I've been looking for a pair of side zips, and so far, to my eyes, Margiela has the best shapes, but I'm a bit weary about all the things said about the quality.

I’ve come across about 3 or 4 boots so far that were meh since I started to get into Margiela...the rest have been great in my opinion

RXS09

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've owned a couple. Their suedes generally aren't too bad but the pair of black leather sidezips I had were terrible.

On the topic of side zips, these are perfect

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I find them to be between meh and disappointing.

From my experience, the worse ones have been pre-Galliano. The ones with super thin soles and overall low profile. The better ones are the Galliano-era Campus boots.

Bad ones are cheap leathers and/ or corrected grain leathers. Corrected grain is the worst of the two, but you can tell in photos if the leather is shiny. The Campus boots, of the ones I've tried, have been printed/ textured leathers, suedes, and treated leathers (like waxed or something). I think that allows them to not have to cover the top of the leather with some kind of plastic-y coating.

Quality can be a bummer for the price, but you're mostly buying them for the design. I like them enough to own a few pairs.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My light grey sidezips are falling apart man, it breaks my heart, black and brown are doing better but not ideal for the price, all pre-Galliano though.

Last edited:

happyriverz

Reaction score
I find them to be between meh and disappointing.

From my experience, the worse ones have been pre-Galliano. The ones with super thin soles and overall low profile. The better ones are the Galliano-era Campus boots.

Bad ones are cheap leathers and/ or corrected grain leathers. Corrected grain is the worst of the two, but you can tell in photos if the leather is shiny. The Campus boots, of the ones I've tried, have been printed/ textured leathers, suedes, and treated leathers (like waxed or something). I think that allows them to not have to cover the top of the leather with some kind of plastic-y coating.

Quality can be a bummer for the price, but you're mostly buying them for the design. I like them enough to own a few pairs.

Thanks. Bought a pair with slightly pebbled/grained leather, thinking that it’ll look less like plastic than the corrected grain leather. I couldn’t tell if any Margiela shoes have stitched or glued on soles but for a little over $200 I can live with it.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have found that for the price SLP or John Lobb provides a better boot. I had multiple pairs of MMM boots, and one pair of horse leather were good but the calf ones I had were made of corrected grain garbage leather. The SLP and JLP boots I have are tons better and frankly a better use of my money than the MMM boots I paid a good amount of money for.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Are we talking pre-09 or after? That's all I got.

JSAN

Reaction score
Post Galliano the back zip boots or the boots with the Riri zippers are higher quality, they still pump out those YKK side zip ones but not sure if the quality increase affected those.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads