• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Shryke

Reaction score
On shopping habits...

I buy probably 80-90% of my clothes second hand through VC, Grailed, eBay etc.

My experience has been really good to be honest. I've never needed to return anything due to authenticity issues or unlisted damage/stains etc. In fact I've never actually returned anything... now and again I'll get something that doesn't quite fit but in that case I'll either have it adjusted, or pass it on to someone who I know will appreciate it.

Buying something high-end in a shop is pretty much unthinkable because prices are ludicrously high (UK) and I can do better things with the money.

I think that over time and with learned wisdom about how certain brands fit, what looks good on you, and how to spot a second hand item that's been cared for well, buying second hand is a great choice.

Also, always ask for measurements!

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On shopping habits...

My experience has been really good to be honest. I've never needed to return anything due to authenticity issues or unlisted damage/stains etc. In fact I've never actually returned anything... now and again I'll get something that doesn't quite fit but in that case I'll either have it adjusted, or pass it on to someone who I know will appreciate it.

Buying something high-end in a shop is pretty much unthinkable because prices are ludicrously high (UK) and I can do better things with the money.

I think that over time and with learned wisdom about how certain brands fit, what looks good on you, and how to spot a second hand item that's been cared for well, buying second hand is a great choice.

Spot on. I do the same.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t really buy any used clothing these days. I just buy very little- just the infrequent amazing piece of knitwear or outerwear. I could be a poster child for the NMWA Luxeswap Trade-up program. I’ve sent 13(!) large boxes of clothes to them over the past few years, and have gotten a good handful of amazing pieces in return. It’s totally changed how I shop.

On that note, Valstar (NMWA) can just take all of my money. I have three pieces of outerwear (plus one more preordered), and it’s all just so amazing. I recently picked up the navy single-breasted overcoat (sadly, not from NMWA because my size was sold out) and it’s this magical cloak that looks amazing over everything from a shirt to a heavy knit.

The only hole in my much-reduced wardrobe is a nice suit…

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On shopping habits...

Buying vintage has helped get rid of my neuroticisms.

I no longer care for nicks and scrapes and minor imperfections.

Finding cool items for my wardrobe that have a great silhouette is fun.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buying vintage has helped get rid of my neuroticisms.

I no longer care for nicks and scrapes and minor imperfections.

Finding cool items for my wardrobe that have a great silhouette is fun.
Silhouettes and textures are where it is at for me. Even the colors are chosen to emphasize those. Like, I like lighter colored footwear so that the lower body does not look sleek and slim. I want the lower body to end looking a bit chunkier, especially on menswear. I prefer it on womenswear as well, like Phoebe Philo’s wide legged pants with Ann Demeulemeester sneakers, but a lot more on menswear.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Silhouettes and textures are where it is at for me. Even the colors are chosen to emphasize those. Like, I like lighter colored footwear so that the lower body does not look sleek and slim. I want the lower body to end looking a bit chunkier, especially on menswear. I prefer it on womenswear as well, like Phoebe Philo’s wide legged pants with Ann Demeulemeester sneakers, but a lot more on menswear.
Do you have any pictures as an example? I don't know what this means.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have any pictures as an example? I don't know what this means.
2ad89c0f-97ab-4517-a84a-18d4d8c89b4320231106133503.JPG

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TBF isn't that what most ppl say about anyone on this forum?
Sorta, I suppose that I just like the much more chill vibes of LA a lot more.

blacklight

Reaction score
Sorta, I suppose that I just like the much more chill vibes of LA a lot more.
few people dress like this outside of williamsburg and it is almost always for the indirect purpose of selling you something

who you're looking for is everyone but the subject of the second photograph

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
few people dress like this outside of williamsburg and it is almost always for the indirect purpose of selling you something

who you're looking for is everyone but the subject of the second photograph
Even that dude. I think that the problem with NYC is that it is so crowded that people feel the need to differentiate.. so hard. Same goes for stores, often. It's so curated, for the lack of a better word, that it feels very inorganic, plastic, at the same time boring and overly loud, like an outdated concept hotel.

I know that not everyone dresses this way, but it's prevalent enough for me to get bored immediately. Maybe it's just a function of me being in fashion for so long now. I much prefer the truly idiosyncratic, done poorly, or simple things done well, than the same old, same old, fashion people all doing it the same, however artfully. OMG, I'm starting to sound like Anthony Bourdain or something.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics