• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Not exactly knee high, but for crew socks Los Angeles Apparel (partially related to American Apparel I believe) are terrific. I have a low volume foot so that a cushioned sock wears much better with a majority of my goodyear shoes, even dressier ones. So, I've been searching out thicker, but still refined looking socks for years. Los Angeles Apparel is the best yet. They come out of the wash and machine dryer looking good too. The cotton just looks very smooth and refined so they don't look like gym socks. They feel quite premium, easily better than American Trench for example (IMO).

Idk how you are intending to wear these, but I'll also add that the Los Angeles Apparel socks have no pattern or change of material near your arch (like Bombas has a big, loud honeycomb thing, many athletic socks have ribbing around your arches), so that they work with loafers.

They come in a variety of normal and loud colors - maybe they're a copy of what you were buying from American Apparel? Here's the link:

I'm specifically looking for knee high (or over-the-calf, if you prefer). I've realized that my legs feel cold sitting at a desk all day, but that OTC socks do a lot to mitigate the problem. I don't like the feel of wool, however, so I've grabbed a bunch of cotton OTC dress socks for the office and am looking for a casual equivalent for the rest of the time.

Bombas seem worth a try so I'm going to check them out.

Last edited:

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Better yet, old photo of that Russian cat with a sports coat, shorts and knee high socks. Never not funny…

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How good are Margiela Tabi fakes? Sis wants a pair and stockx has her size at a good price but I know they had issues with Nikes/jordans in the past so…

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I carry my laptop to work in a regular size tote bag, the best part about it are the nice 1.5" thick handles, that are easier on the hands then some of the skinny canvas handles. Any reco's for a nicer tote for a daily carry? Canvas is fine, but well built with a nice handle.

garigo

Reaction score
I carry my laptop to work in a regular size tote bag, the best part about it are the nice 1.5" thick handles, that are easier on the hands then some of the skinny canvas handles. Any reco's for a nicer tote for a daily carry? Canvas is fine, but well built with a nice handle.
I've been using the David tote from The Armoury a lot lately, very happy with it.

Mulan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mismo Shopper tote is great for daily carry. The shoulder strap helps give the bag a nice drape.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, there’s a MTO pair of Nick’s Boots currently being auctioned in the Holiday Auction Thread and I think some MC guy is currently the highest bidder. What are we gonna do about it?? Auction ends at 8pm EST.
IMG_1921.png

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice about shortening belts. I have 4 Equus belts that are all too big. Charlie had a service that would shorten from the buckle end, make a new turn and restitch so you'd use the same hole but they needed about 3" to do it. I need them shortened about 3.5" but Equus has since gone out of business. I assume a decent US based leather shop would be able to do the same? Anyone ever do this?

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A good leather worker and many coblers will be able to shorten from the buckle end and will have the punches and skiver needed. Depending on the finishing i'd expect the cost to vary, $30 - $40 would be fair but so much depends on what needed... but a belt that doesn't fit is worthless.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Saw the talk about totes above. But any reccomendations for a smaller sidebag? Not for work, but mostly out and about to hold notepad, cellphone/s, headphones and water bottle etc.

I was looking at Tom Bihn which seem nice, all the different compartments for the small fiddly gear I carry. It's a bit too techwear for me though maybe.

1704136893961.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads