• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recs on where to pick up a good starter suit in NYC?

A friend is looking to pick up a 3-season suit that he can wear for weddings and other equivalent events, he'll get it tailored but budget under 1k. Probably closer to 500ish although for the right fit he can go higher. Uniqlo is the only thing I got aside from buying second hand. Any other ideas?

My current workhorse suit is the wool twill suit from Ralph Lauren. It has the perfect details and styling (no belt loops, side adjusters, medium lapels, soft shoulders, non-shiny fabric). Just consider sizing up.

Edit: It’s also half canvas.

Last edited:

Iskander

Reaction score
My current workhorse suit is the wool twill suit from Ralph Lauren. It has the perfect details and styling (no belt loops, side adjusters, medium lapels, soft shoulders, non-shiny fabric). Just consider sizing up.
I have this as well. A solid suit. I wish I knew exactly which cloth they used, I'd have another pair of trousers made up with some sizing tweaks.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recs on where to pick up a good starter suit in NYC?

A friend is looking to pick up a 3-season suit that he can wear for weddings and other equivalent events, he'll get it tailored but budget under 1k. Probably closer to 500ish although for the right fit he can go higher. Uniqlo is the only thing I got aside from buying second hand. Any other ideas?
Maybe a bit over budget but Sid Mashburn makes a great one-suit that’s well made, fully canvased, good fit for a lot of body types and will last.

They make the Kincaid #2 in the $1000 range and do free alterations and have a Manhattan location now.

I only need a suit a few times/year and bought their mid level Kincaid #3 in Navy High Twist last year and was impressed with their tailor. Great work and good quality.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to SF this weekend, want to hit up cool stores. Looking for vintage work wear/western, new stuff, bike stuff, and run stuff. Aside from that good cheap-ish eats.

I'd love to get some recs!

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to SF this weekend, want to hit up cool stores. Looking for vintage work wear/western, new stuff, bike stuff, and run stuff. Aside from that good cheap-ish eats.

I'd love to get some recs!

Don't know how easy it will be for you to get to from wherever you're staying in SF, but Standard & Strange across the bay in Oakland might be worth checking out for work wear and western stuff, though not necessarily vintage.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
1693018153652.jpeg

Wow man I’d love some green balmorals always wanted some to wear…f!uck

1693018185516.jpeg

1693018229532.jpeg

Damn these boots look cool as **** I can wear them with….f!uck!

1693018281409.jpeg

1693018554131.jpeg

Oh wow a minimal pair of some Chelseas to wea…..F!UCKKKK

1693018527245.jpeg

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know how easy it will be for you to get to from wherever you're staying in SF, but Standard & Strange across the bay in Oakland might be worth checking out for work wear and western stuff, though not necessarily vintage.

On the list but it is 43 minutes away not the best but I feel like I gotta try to see it.

Also speaking of rapha. I saw there is a Pas Normal Studio store here too. Might check it out even though the prices make my eyes water for fashion kit.

I kinda wanna check out a shop to try out some of the new assos bibs.

I'm looking at cotton sheep, the Alden SF store, and all the vintage on height. Aside from that Im just gonna see how much I can see In a day

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the list but it is 43 minutes away not the best but I feel like I gotta try to see it.

Also speaking of rapha. I saw there is a Pas Normal Studio store here too. Might check it out even though the prices make my eyes water for fashion kit.

I kinda wanna check out a shop to try out some of the new assos bibs.

I'm looking at cotton sheep, the Alden SF store, and all the vintage on height. Aside from that Im just gonna see how much I can see In a day

Just saw in my email that today is the “garage sale” at the Oakland S&S store so there will be limited new merchandise on the sales floor but the stuff that is on the floor is supposed to be deeply discounted so YMMV as to whether or not it’s worth the trip.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads