• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
I can’t find any chinos that work for me though :(
….plus you can’t beat the drape of linen/wool

My dream is to one day do chores around the house in some tropical virgin wool trousers. Maybe when zissou starts his operation he can make me some with like 3% elastane

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Foreign exchange students? From where? Those two things sound very far apart.
foreign exchange students I’m used to seeing are either head to toe balenciaga type stuff or tee shirt and gym shorts with a $6,000 Gucci crossbody bag

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem you guys are having with your Andrew Pants IMHO, is that you’re getting the khaki chinos, which almost always look MID. The cords are a better play. They did manage to look good on @Baron tho, IIRC… might’ve been a different model?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up a pair of Polo Country cords from ebay. Double pleated. They're wider than the Andrew I think. Size 36 and they have a 10 inch leg opening. I'm happy with them as is. They're my widest pants but that's fine - they fill their own niche.
In 1999, an 10” width at the them would have had been considered “straight leg”, and 8”, “tapered”.

I’m starting to mark my age by the number of times I’ve seen pants go from tight to loose to tight.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Foreign exchange students? From where? Those two things sound very far apart.
foreign exchange students I’m used to seeing are either head to toe balenciaga type stuff or tee shirt and gym shorts with a $6,000 Gucci crossbody bag
There might be something about an aesthetic that's a bit out of the accepted norms of the day and place that both groups can share that I find appealing - or catch my attention. How things are styled. Used to be lots of language students in the neighbourhood I lived in from all over Japan, Korea, Brazil, China, HK. More old folks where I now live. I'm one too, I guess. Shorts, Tee ,and a cross bodybag... I'd likely see on a bird watcher in the park. Might be me.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem you guys are having with your Andrew Pants IMHO, is that you’re getting the khaki chinos, which almost always look MID. The cords are a better play. They did manage to look good on @Baron tho, IIRC… might’ve been a different model?
I found the opposite to be true. As someone with chunky thighs, the andrew chinos maintain their shape fairly well and look and feel "normal" on me. I found them to be a god send.

My andrew cords look like a dumpy mess, and the double pleats add to it. I like them too, but I do have to lean into slouchier ouftfits.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can’t find any chinos that work for me though :(
….plus you can’t beat the drape of linen/wool

My dream is to one day do chores around the house in some tropical virgin wool trousers. Maybe when zissou starts his operation he can make me some with like 3% elastane
How do you handle washing/dry cleaning?

I'd be 24/7 swamp ass in your region.

That's the biggest reason I love casual cotton pants is I can chuck them in the wash.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All Andrew fit. I wear a size 30 waist, but have large butt and thighs given my waist. i love the fit. Room in the seat and thigh. Not overly tapered.

BF2C9C9C-3041-41F3-8EB0-ED9730432C28.jpeg

F645646A-B944-4FC2-9E98-C3AF95CD9E95.jpeg

09FE6622-5526-4B28-A519-52EE990B1C4F.jpeg

9BA8C03B-3745-4C1E-8AB2-FE6D51377C33.jpeg

DF348043-8FA7-4653-B358-C7EC08D4DEFE.jpeg

FE14B7E4-9915-430A-8162-31B8FC45DCD8.jpeg

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All Andrew fit. I wear a size 30 waist, but have large butt and thighs given my waist. i love the fit. Room in the seat and thigh. Not overly tapered.

View attachment 1881255
View attachment 1881254
View attachment 1881253
View attachment 1881252
View attachment 1881251
View attachment 1881250
Awesome, thanks for posting these. The chinos I bought look the same as yours, but my cords look more shapeless and bag out after first wear. They are a larger size, so I wonder if that's the issue.

I dig the jeans too. Asssuming you used eBay, what search terms did you use?

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for posting these. The chinos I bought look the same as yours, but my cords look more shapeless and bag out after first wear. They are a larger size, so I wonder if that's the issue.

I dig the jeans too. Asssuming you used eBay, what search terms did you use?
These cords for similar to them chinos. I have another pair that are much baggier that I didn’t post. I imagine the Andrew fit may have changed over time.

Jeans are from eBay. I searched Andrew fit Ralph Lauren. You mostly get chino results but there will be jeans occasionally.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
andrew is great on paper but then i've never gotten those forward pleats and creases to work .

the pleats make volume at the hips and the crease guts the volume down the leg . should be wider from the front . i think the cuff kind of helps with that but isn't that another model ?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These cords for similar to them chinos. I have another pair that are much baggier that I didn’t post. I imagine the Andrew fit may have changed over time.

Jeans are from eBay. I searched Andrew fit Ralph Lauren. You mostly get chino results but there will be jeans occasionally.
I see, that makes sense then if they changed the fit over time. I was hoping it was consistent.

I'll be on the lookout for those jeans too, most jeans fit me awful and are uncomfortable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads