• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And the mocs!

00550fullscreen.jpg

DoubleDouble

Reaction score
But youth (what brought us here) surely must be universal, especially from the point of view of female beauty. That does have good biological reasons to be that way. And I mean what people considers physical beauty, not some romanticized version of beauty.

Agree to a degree, but "aesthetic pleasantness " and "sexual attractiveness" can occur disjointly.

If you're interested in the latter and how it replicates across cultures, this podcast episode is pretty good (but it won't improve your fits!).

elongatedskull

Reaction score
But youth (what brought us here) surely must be universal, especially from the point of view of female beauty. That does have good biological reasons to be that way. And I mean what people considers physical beauty, not some romanticized version of beauty.
This is so nonsensical I'm not even sure where to begin! What's the point in discussing beauty at all if you're going to limit it to physical beauty, decry 'romanticisation' and also say 'youth' is the universality of beauty, which certainly is more romantic than any sort of speculative exercise, which is what you must mean by 'romanticisation'?
Surely it actually stands to reason that something can not be beautiful on the outside if it is not first beautiful on the inside, if this were not the case virtue would not be virtue.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you're interested in the latter and how it replicates across cultures, this podcast episode is pretty good (but it won't improve your fits!).

Just finished this podcast episode, and while it was interesting, I feel like I keep running into the same issues when I hear anything about evolutionary psychology. I don't understand how they tease out or test causal relationships.

DoubleDouble

Reaction score
Just finished this podcast episode, and while it was interesting, I feel like I keep running into the same issues when I hear anything about evolutionary psychology. I don't understand how they tease out or test causal relationships.
You and me both.

What was most interesting to me was how some things replicated across cultures while others didn't, despite there being prejudices about both.

Last edited:

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My last post re. beauty: all this started with the photos of the older guy (I don’t like some of those fits but I’m all for guys his age not giving a f*ck and having fun FWIW, I have every intention of doing the same when -if- I reach his age), then zissou mentioned the fashion industry has molded out current perception of beauty.

I admit I thought of beauty (human beauty, implicit in zissou’s post) as physical attractiveness. But when the section “human beauty” of the Wikipedia article links to “physical attractiveness” as main article, I think it’s not too far fetched.

That entry about physical attractiveness goes on to mention youth as a general trait, by the way. But references are from evolutionary biolologists and psychologists so some people here might disagree with it.

And yes not everything is explained by evolutionary biology because we haven’t been apes in trees for some time now, but sure a lot of human behaviour is. If we talk about beauty strictly in the sense of physical attractiveness and we assume the whole idea behind it (and many other things) is to procreate/continuation of the species, as long as biology doesn’t evolve to have fertile 70 year old women, youth will always be a trait for men to look for in women, and it’s not Gucci or Zara dictating that.

I won’t post more about this topic though as I fully admit it’s not something I’ve read lots about, among other things I don’t find it such an interesting topic.

Ps: Not related to this topic at all but since it’s got “beauty” in its title and I just watched it for the nth time this week as it’s one of my favourite movies, I recommend watching “The Great Beauty” by Sorrentino. Funnily enough he’s algo got another movie called Youth with Michael Caine, Harvey Keitel, Rachel Weisz and Paul Deno, but I didn’t enjoy that one as much.

Last edited:

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ps: Not related to this topic at all but since it’s got “beauty” in its title and I just watched it for the nth time this week as it’s one of my favourite movies, I recommend watching “The Great Beauty” by Sorrentino.

Oh, it's very related. It's a profoundly beautiful movie. It shows that beauty is not really all about who you want to mate with.
The title could also have been "La Dolce Vita After 50 Years"

I recommend the book "The History of Beauty" and "On Uglyness" by Umberto Eco.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s hard. First step is to be aware.

if you’ve never done it, the Harvart IAT is a great tool. It’s enlightening, a little frightening maybe.

It's also very problematic in the way it is constructed (and the assumptions - or, ahem, biases - it contains) and has been widely criticized within the social sciences. Use with caution.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They generally don't, and they don't want to. I have personal research experience here, trying to work with evo-psych folks at my previous university – these are the ones who did the ridiculous work 'explaining' why women like the colour, pink – where I collaborated with a psych methodologist and suggested to the evo-psych group that they work with me to test alternative explanations (from sociology, social psych and politics as well as evo-psych) for their findings. They refused. Beyond even the well-known 'replication crisis', evo-psych, I have concluded, is a load of just-so stories, where 'evolution' has to be the explanation for any finding, which leads to some really bizarre claims. Evo-neuro-psych is even worse, and the problem is that economics and business, particularly marketing just buy into this ****.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
E
It's also very problematic in the way it is constructed (and the assumptions - or, ahem, biases - it contains) and has been widely criticized within the social sciences. Use with caution.
Possibly. I have no academic knowledge or training in this, so it's very possible that there are better tests (and I'd love to try them if you can share) but I do know that IAT is the most widely used tool to start or lay the foundation of most bias trainings/workshops I've encountered. It seems to have become a standard like Myers-Briggs for personality

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads