• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re seed tees, I think we need @gdl203 up in here.
I don’t have much of an opinion. I think they are fun and often look good (better than other graphic tees) in fits poking under an open shirt or jacket.

We always stocked them when Niche offered them and they always sold out quickly so they must strike a chord (probably because of the stated-above fact that they often look good in fits).

I didn’t even realize until today they were a source of debate. If you enjoy wearing yours, I mean who cares what other people who don’t think about them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

it’s just a colorful tee with flowers on them.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t have much of an opinion. I think they are fun and often look good (better than other graphic tees) in fits poking under an open shirt or jacket.

We always stocked them when Niche offered them and they always sold out quickly so they must strike a chord (probably because of the stated-above fact that they often look good in fits).

I didn’t even realize until today they were a source of debate. If you enjoy wearing yours, I mean who cares what other people who don’t think about them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

it’s just a colorful tee with flowers on them.

Seems like an opinion to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How the motherland treating you?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Paris art scene, 1950s. An amazingly cosmopolitan place full of really well-dressed people

download.jpeg

Chinese painter and modernist Zao Wou-Ki in the back with art dealer Pierre Loeb (seated with sweater), artists Maria Elena Vieira da Silva (left), Germain (with cigarette), Georges Mathieu (front, left), and Jean-Paul Riopelle (front, right). Look at the curvature on Germain's lapels!

EQgUCs9U0AAkRib.jpeg

The friends in front of empty wine bottles.

EQdlWnmU4AAqtUm.jpeg

Argentine artist Sergio de Castro in his studio. Now buried near his friend Samuel Beckett. Cool but simple sport shirt here and almost Garrett Leight-ish glasses.

EQdmRqsUUAAQA3R.jpeg

Bernard Buffet, French Expressionist and member of the anti-abstract art group L'homme Témoin (the Witness-Man), drinking at Café 'Chez Constant" in 1950.

EQhepo9U0AATR7V.jpeg

Buffet with friends Maurice Garnier & Agnès Nanquette. Looks like Buffett is wearing a Mackinaw or jeep coat. You can sometimes find similar coats on eBay if you search for "French hunting coat," but I have no idea if this style was actually used in France for hunting. It's just how I've seen one or two sellers describe the garment.

EQdpfWHU0AAEC8U.jpeg
EQdnmCsVAAIem1F.jpeg
EQdnU4EVUAEMy5C.jpeg
EQdmyqQUcAA3Vh1.jpeg
EQdpfYdU8AE2FuM.jpeg

Joan Miró, Hans Hartung, Wifredo Lam, Alberto Giacometti, and Nicolas de Staël in their studios in 1954. Giacometti's inverted tie is very sprezzy. Lam's trousers are enviable. Hartung looks like he could talk to you about A Continous Lean.

EQgOqeRUUAECoyn.jpeg
EQgQOBqUwAEXEAC.jpeg
EQgQOCCUYAAIQNG.jpeg

Jean-Paul Riopelle in his studio in 1952. Close up of his shoes. Very 2021 Wallace & Barnes ad campaign.

EQgYcaBVUAA0s8Y.jpeg

Michel Seuphor, Marguerite Arp, Denise Colomb, and Jean Arp in Arp's studio in 1954. Check out Seuphor's Ivy-ish light socks with penny loafers. Mid-calf! Not following the rules.

EQhOZ3OU4AI86Lb.jpeg

Surrealists Leonor Fini & Leonora Carrington in 1952.

EQiDMK2U8AYvqJa.jpeg

Hungarian painter Arpad Szenes in Maria Elena Vieira da Silva's atelier. The two were married. Nice chore coat.

EQhLOvgUcAAs5MP.jpeg

The photographer behind the lens, Denise Colomb, with her Rolleiflex in 1953.

book.jpeg

More photos in the book Portraits D'Artistes, Les Années 50/60

Last edited:

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost like the animosity reveals an unconscious fear that the seed tees just provides another example of how arbitrary cultural products become popular through bandwagon path dependence https://www.princeton.edu/~mjs3/salganik_dodds_watts06_full.pdf

How about an all black seed tee with black lilies on it and black stitching? Maybe, maybe, throw in some dark gray in there somewhere. But not too much of course. Wouldn't want to make too much of a distraction from the black.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's all just chat about hobbies, people. If my house burned down tomorrow, it wouldn't be my wardrobe I tried to save. And I wouldn't really have lost anything important if it did.

Which leads to a question: is there actually a piece of clothing or a pair of shoes etc. any of us would risk being burned alive to save?

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Are they literally copies of old seed packets ?

or are these actually freshly designed principally as a T-shirt print ?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They’re not actual packets. They’re designed to resemble seed packets

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to think the seed t pics were taken from pictures of old packets because the resolution on the print graphic is kind of low, but there's a bunch of variations on the same flower so I'm not sure?

I always wondered if the seed ts had any awareness outside of sf but then I noticed stussy knocked off the design earlier this year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads