• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Trit

Reaction score
on rainwear, I tried the Stutterheim "Stockholm", but found that it was not fully water proof (leaked in through the pockets), and the cut was awkwardly slim.

I just now got the Grundens "Sandön" coat, which is in the same vein but a bit more heritage/utilitarian (Swedish brand who have made raingear for fishers since the 1920s, yadayada). It seems very well made and is about half the price of the Stutterheim coats (and have a better cut, for me at least).

Im still considering Norwegian Rain for something a bit more refined however.

I agree the Stutterheim pockets are stupid. They stay wet inside for days and there's no way to keep water out of them in the rain. But I love that awkwardly slim fit. I won't complain about a rain jacket being a boxy fit but if you give me a rakish rain option then I'll take it.

snow

Reaction score
If you want waterproof you can get waterproof-breathable or just waterproof.

In the first category it will be waterproof and breath (a little) but water can push through (for example under backpack straps) and the fabric will eventually lose the water-repellent coating and "wet out" in rain (should still be waterproof). It can also wear through or delaminate over time. Fashion brands will often use generic membranes and pretend that it's amazing or their own tech; you can go along with that if you want. If you want a technical jacket look for one with a good warranty that will replace it if something goes wrong: patagonia, arcteryx, OR should all be good, or anything that is actual gore-tex.

The second category won't breath at all (except through mechanical venting e.g. with a poncho) and covers a lot of ground. A throw-away plastic poncho is waterproof, so are dri-ducks, and so is a rubberised fisherman's coat. The major variables will be price/durability/weight, and you will get extremely sweaty (i.e. wet) if you try to exercise.

I would also echo what someone said above about waterproof jackets - a waist-length waterproof just gets your thighs wet. If you really want to just go outside and stand around in rain a knee-length(ish) non-breathable coat/poncho is gonna be best. If you want to move around you may need to consider waterproof-breathable trousers.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One category we're all forgetting is waxed jackets or coats. I have a Fjallraven G1000 cotton canvas jacket, which, if waxed properly - and getting the seams right is important - is as waterproof as anything. It was the only jacket I took with me when I travelled from London to Tokyo (via Russia) last year, and I've worn it in the worst weather. The downside is you have to rewax it regularly, or get it done professionally, and once the wax inevitably wears off, it's hardly waterproof at all. Obviously Barbour are big in this category, and most of their serious coats come pre-waxed, but there are several others.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about an LL Bean chamois shirt? Most are plain, but they have some plaids.

I've been eyeing this Houdini "one parka"

They have several waterproof jackets. Fairy expensive though. I also like Outdoor Research a lot.

Interesting that the model is walking around with ski goggles.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Put four stitches in the back, call it artisanal and I’m down

55FA0339-C9CF-4A96-9340-0230B8740FE0.jpeg

emptym

Reaction score
Interesting that the model is walking around with ski goggles.
Yeah, it doesn't really seem like a ski jacket to me. You'd know better. But I guess it supports their claim that it's the only parka you'd need. The product page has other interesting pics, like a guy with ice axes.
Ms-One-Parka_Sandstorm_248624_148_S_2_72.jpg
Ms-One-Parka_Baremark-Green_248624_174_S_3_72.jpg
Ms-One-Parka_Baremark-Green_248624_174_S_1_72.jpg
Ms-One-Parka_Sandstorm_248624_148_S_1_72.jpg

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've loved what that brands been doing marketing and image wise. Sadly I think North American market for outdoor stuff has been not quite as friendly market to the more athletic Euro brands as Japan has been.

ultraExtendo

Reaction score
Just had the thought that I spend about 80% of my clothing budget on fall/winter clothes even though I can only wear them 4 months out of the year here.
I had that same problem a few years ago. I ended up selling most of my winter gear and forcing myself to only buy for my dominant season. It's tough though because fall/winter clothing is way more interesting than spring/summer.

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Put four stitches in the back, call it artisanal and I’m down

Open offer to start an atelier knockoff shop. Mass painting Levi's products white and sharpy-ing Ms. I'm thinking similar to that documentary Sour Grapes, styleforum will be rocked to discover Regis is the Rudy Kurniawan of fake MMM.

DubbyThaFerrgamoCZAR

Reaction score
I digg her shoes in first pic.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads