• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like in 2010 I got in around the end of the attitude era here haha. Nowadays we are all much more civil and accepting. Can’t lie though, the shitposting days were a tad bit more entertaining

I have a feeling that everyone is just too depressed and sad now to be able to handle all of the negativity

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like in 2010 I got in around the end of the attitude era here haha. Nowadays we are all much more civil and accepting. Can’t lie though, the shitposting days were a tad bit more entertaining

I was admittedly absent from those conversations, although joining sometime in or before '10, I think, under a different account, if I remember.

2005 is just a long f-ing time ago.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the thing is we’re all older now, and the young folks don’t really use BB forums like this anymore. I was very young when I joined. Much easier to get riled up and had much more to prove, I guess.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
I have a feeling that everyone is just too depressed and sad now to be able to handle all of the negativity
I think the thing is we’re all older now, and the young folks don’t really use BB forums like this anymore. I was very young when I joined. Much easier to get riled up and had much more to prove, I guess.

Those are good points.

On a lighter note with all the Dune and Bladerunner talk I’ve been getting in all my favorite sci-fis since I have a lot more time on my hands and my lady is now bored enough to watch them with me haha. Rewatched Firefly, got into the Expanse (good stuff), Sunshine, Moon, Pandorum etc.

verver

Reaction score
Was also going to mention that Alex garland is dope. Of course, someone who doesn’t enjoy life and entertainment will say he sucks, and use a lot of fancy words saying it to prove it

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was also going to mention that Alex garland is dope. Of course, someone who doesn’t enjoy life and entertainment will say he sucks, and use a lot of fancy words saying it to prove it
I don’t know who Alex Garland is.

I’ll say this though, I thought Cisco wine was good when I was 17 and had no taste. Now I think it sucks and can use fancy words like palette but I still enjoy life.

Rais

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no expectations for the new Dune. I enjoyed Villeneuve's Enemy and Prisoners and think he is a great director. BR2049 felt like the production company bought a sci-fi romance script about a man and his personal AI assistant and then shoehorned BR IP on top of it. I think when such a large budget is involved, the film can easily be compromised by commercial decisions to create sufficient audience draw: bringing back old actors who didn't need to be there, making the film part of a franchise, in this case even the soundtrack was just a remix of the original, albeit by the original composer (another draw for nostalgia).

The costumes were a significant let down for me, not just in comparison to how well thought out the original's were, but even compared to much worse sci-fi films like the live action Ghost in the Shell, which had a lot of work done on their garments. BR2049 didn't seem to consider the costumes at all aside from Gosling's, which was decent. Harrison Ford was in a t-shirt and jeans, Leto in an unmodified kimono(?), Hoeks looked like they just fitted in her off the rack Allsaints from 10 years ago. One of the draws of scifi, in particular cyberpunk, is the way that good movies can influence what audiences associate with futuristic aesthetics. So I found that another wasted opportunity.

Science fiction allows the creators to show new things to audiences: technologies, lifestyles and societies, reactions to changes in our environment and so on. BR2049 showed nothing new despite its budget, with the exception of K's "baseline" system to keep his psychological profile in check. I don't think that was enough, and the film bombed despite all of its commercial compromises.

I think BR2049's failures were not Villeneuve's fault entirely, but I foresee the same issue happening again with Dune: franchise "reboot", casting Josh Brolin and Jason Momoa for the comic book movie film fans, poorly slapped together costumes that used over the counter airsoft pieces... I will still see it and hope it somehow comes together though. I have a soft spot for Lynch's Dune despite it's own problems as a film.

Last edited:

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think plot wise, the weird chosen one undercurrent was heavy handed. I liked how br originally was a synecdoche for the much larger themes. It never felt heavy handed.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think BR2049's failures were not Villeneuve's fault entirely, but I foresee the same issue happening again with Dune: franchise "reboot", casting Josh Brolin and Jason Momoa for the comic book movie film fans, poorly slapped together costumes that used over the counter airsoft pieces... I will still see it and hope it somehow comes together though. I have a soft spot for Lynch's Dune despite it's own problems as a film.
I did think that the bulky F-22 shaped armor in the photos went right against both the shield concept that is integral to the world building ("no lasers!") and the whole super efficient roaming bedouins travelling hundreds of miles on foot and wormback concept. But the riot police look is du jour.

Lynch's Dune was appropriately alien. Unfortunately to sell you need to create something that feels familiar and intuitive to contemporary audiences, with just enough difference to pique interest (think WWI fighter aircrafts for the Star Wars original dogfights). One could argue that too much weirdness undermines the storytelling (e.g. Predestination which was, there, quite faithful to its source).

Maybe we can see some Sardaukar in PPE.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member