• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do people have any personal rules or prejudices when it comes to beanies? Favorite colors, knitting technique, thickness, brands, materials, the best ways to wear them, etc?

I've been wearing them a ton this past winter. Have a beanie from Buzz Rickson modeled after some naval beanie (I assume one of those vintage repro things). Also have a slightly larger, chunkier beanie from Ganni, which is actually a womenswear brand, but I bought one after liking how the hat looks on Aaron Levine (he wears the green one often on IG).

Curious if people have favorites. Thinking about picking up another ... maybe one from Aime Leon Dore? Scott & Charters?

cc'ing @zissou cause I think he wears them often.

I have bought many TOQUES over the years. A tight SNS Herning one, a great ombré Dries van Noten slouchy one, an Inis Meain watch cap, a few plain black ones from Wings and Horns and Stussy, etc... My wife and now daughters own them all, because I look like an egg custard bao with glasses in all of them. There is a grey, shallow, loose cable knit one that my wife knit for me that looks marginally acceptable and that I wear when out gets super cold.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This is what Wikipedia gives me...

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, orslows are great. I have 105s and 107s in basically all standard washes (one wash, two year wash and three year wash) and they're all awesome. Just thinking where I'll go from here on my next pair. Maybe I'll just stick with orslow. If it ain't broke...

Go for some Sugar Cane 1947s! The 9" leg opening is fun to work into fits.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have bought many TOQUES over the years. A tight SNS Herning one, a great ombré Dries van Noten slouchy one, an Inis Meain watch cap, a few plain black ones from Wings and Horns and Stussy, etc... My wife and now daughters own them all, because I look like an egg custard bao with glasses in all of them. There is a grey, shallow, loose cable knit one that my wife knit for me that looks marginally acceptable and that I wear when out gets super cold.

I look stupid in beanie as well (as my wife like to say and I would accept in this case...), so have gone through about 5 (from RL/IM and bunch don’t remember), now I sold all but 2 and wear them for functional reason and accept I look stupid in it...

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive been wearing loads of wool "watch caps" the last 10-15 years. Never from fashion brands. Key is 100% wool + not too high crown/volume. I used to wear the US navy ones, but find the knit a bit too soft.

The last couple of years ive been wearing black and gray ones from a German work wear brand, dirt cheap and great quality
273_0.jpg

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a few Andersen Andersen beanies from @zissou recently and like them a lot. They are the "short" model so don't cover the ears so not great for the coldest weather, but the quality is very good. If I need ears covered I have olive and a black Buzz Rickson ones that my go to - they have the best warmth/quality/lack of itchiness that I've found.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do people have any personal rules or prejudices when it comes to beanies? Favorite colors, knitting technique, thickness, brands, materials, the best ways to wear them, etc?

I've been wearing them a ton this past winter. Have a beanie from Buzz Rickson modeled after some naval beanie (I assume one of those vintage repro things). Also have a slightly larger, chunkier beanie from Ganni, which is actually a womenswear brand, but I bought one after liking how the hat looks on Aaron Levine (he wears the green one often on IG).

Curious if people have favorites. Thinking about picking up another ... maybe one from Aime Leon Dore? Scott & Charters?

cc'ing @zissou cause I think he wears them often.
I've worn lots of beanies over the years, especially on account of being mostly bald. For a while, I was wearing actual USN watch caps when they were knitted thicker back in the day. They were about $6 each from the surplus store. Buzz Rickson's watch cap is very nice for that repro look, but is not very thick or warm. I used to wear a lot of Inis Meain caps, but like others have said, they tend to run small. So, I gave them all to my daughter who loves my hand me downs. I do have a couple of Scott and Charters cashmere caps, which work well for that slightly dressier look. The GRP caps were far too chunky and slouchy for my taste, and Andersen-Andersen caps were far too itchy next to skin. I have several RRL indigo cotton caps and Inis Meain linen caps for wearing around the house. Hands down, my favorite beanies come from A Kind of Guise, which uses super soft (and largely itch-free) Italian lambswool. They are thick enough to be warm on a cold day without being too chunky. I bought 4-5 of their Honda beanies this year in assorted colors, and love wearing them.

I generally hate ribbed beanies (and half zip sweaters), perhaps because they remind me too much of Banana Republic, which I used to wear exclusively before I found SF. Could have been worse, but those were dark times. I still have a Banana Republic credit card to remind me of where I came from.

Anyone have a rec for a nice cotton turtleneck / mockneck? thought it'd just be a uniqlo thing but they don't seem to have them
The Uniqlo soft touch turtlenecks can't be beat. But, they are mostly sold out now. I got about six of them for $9.90 each.

Last edited:

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive been wearing loads of wool "watch caps" the last 10-15 years. Never from fashion brands. Key is 100% wool + not too high crown/volume. I used to wear the US navy ones, but find the knit a bit too soft.

The last couple of years ive been wearing black and gray ones from a German work wear brand, dirt cheap and great quality
273_0.jpg

Nice lead. How do these compare to Buzz Ricksons watch cap? Or the original USN ones?

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For me personally, I prefer a thicker textured beanie. For that reason, I mostly wear the GRPs that NMWA sells. Since I am typically only wearing them when I am in a large winter coat, with anything shorter or thinner I feel like my head looks disproportionately small.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads