• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Margiela shirt obviously a visual meditation on the unstable typological relationship between blood/ink (between the letter of the law that insists on the corporeal vs. the spirit of the law that appeals to a truer meaning) as imagined by The Merchant of Venice.

Portia, to Shylock:
This bond doth give thee here no jot of blood;
The words expressly are 'a pound of flesh:'
Take then thy bond, take thou thy pound of flesh;
But, in the cutting it, if thou dost shed
One drop of Christian blood, thy lands and goods
Are, by the laws of Venice, confiscate
Unto the state of Venice.

Spelled as 'one iote' in the Geneva Bible and as 'iot' in Shakespeare's Folio, both Portian and Jesus refer to the Greek iota modeled on the Hebrew yodh, its simple stroke constituting the most minimal letter in both alphabets . . . Portia's reference to the 'jot of blood' serves both to align Shylock's bond with the bloody letter of the law and to associate her own legalism not with Shylock's Judaism but with the internalizing 'fulfillment' of the law brought about in Christ's post-Sinai Sermon on the Mount. . . . Portia's maneuver functions dialectically, as the negation of a negation, a sublation that locates the two characters on either side of a historical divide.
- Julia Reinhard Lupton, Citizen-Saints (Chicago, 2005)

Too large to be a jot, neither ink nor blood, worn on the body (over the body) but resisting any signification, the Margiela shirt tries to clog the wheels of dialectical machinery.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you say “Margiela”?

I’ve always said it mar-gel-uh ... like gel as in hair gel.

But then I heard Noah Johnson saying “mar-jay-luh” on the Corporate Lunch podcast and now I’m wondering if I need to go hurl myself from a cliff in shame.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you say “Margiela”?

I’ve always said it mar-gel-uh ... like gel as in hair gel.

But then I heard Noah Johnson saying “mar-jay-luh” on the Corporate Lunch podcast and now I’m wondering if I need to go hurl myself from a cliff in shame.

I say Mar-jay-uh

Probably wrong.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
upload_2019-2-12_13-56-14.png

full link: https://www.harpersbazaar.com/uk/fa...nce-moschino-miu-miu-and-more-designer-names/

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score

I’ve adopted my girls “Marty Marjelly” namesake cause she makes it sound very cute. I’ve never met or seen any Margiela here in the wilds of Palm Beach so never had to pronounce it correctly to anyone

Well I guess there was that time a couple years back when some kid told me “what are those” and I replied Maison Martin Margiela Replica 50’s Cuban sidezips in chocolate. Left him questioning his existence by the look he gave me

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
But what noise is jhell???

hopefully you're kidding

Never liked these sorts of infused whimsy that margiela did but I have a jil sander shirt with a giant ******* rose on the chest. I also have a mmm pulled neck sweater and my buddy had an intentionally pilled black crew neck sweater, almost like a casentino sweater. I didn't really care for his line 14 stuff which was like boring business casual ****. There was a lot to sift through but there were some hits every season.

mmmargeologist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hopefully you're kidding

Never liked these sorts of infused whimsy that margiela did but I have a jil sander shirt with a giant ******* rose on the chest. I also have a mmm pulled neck sweater and my buddy had an intentionally pilled black crew neck sweater, almost like a casentino sweater. I didn't really care for his line 14 stuff which was like boring business casual ****. There was a lot to sift through but there were some hits every season.

I’ll ask Alexa

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My rant was more for Flyingmonkey calling the Kapital stuff “ fake” boro and really just a general rant about people preferring some ratty old vintage military jacket to a new well made one because It’s more authentic. Again, if someone just doesn’t like that stuff in any way more power to them.

I think you were missing the point that I am arguing in favour of the 'fake' and against 'authenticity'. I love Kapital's artistry and have plenty of their stuff as well as other Japanese brands that trade on the 'fake' boro look (Koromo / KRM, Blue Blue Japan etc.) and plenty of 'fake' workwear that has never seen manual labour and never will. We agree.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sona Umar