• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else think they're pretty good at typing and can probably re-write Master and Margarita if given a copy?
This is actually a more ambiguous question than it sounds. For example the structure, let alone the contextual jokes of Ulysses are probably mostly lost on a modern audience even of literature undergraduates [1] as the curricula have shifted away from the classical texts that used to underpin a "liberal arts" education (there are only so many hours in the year).

What is left is an almost religious worship of the work and belief, rather than understanding, in its justification (IMHO and from limited interactions). And to those who do not subscribe to said religion it all appears a strange, neverending ramble that ought to be easily imitated.

[1] although T S Eliot's own, contemporary review of the work complains of exactly that...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is actually a more ambiguous question than it sounds. For example the structure, let alone the contextual jokes of Ulysses are probably mostly lost on a modern audience even of literature undergraduates as the curricula have shifted away from the classical texts that used to underpin a "liberal arts" education (there are only so many hours in the year).

What is left is an almost religious worship of the work and belief, rather than understanding, in its justification (IMHO and from limited interactions). And to those who do not subscribe to said religion it all appears a strange, neverending ramble that ought to be easily imitated.
Wow, way to make it serious.

verver

Reaction score
I’m actually quite gutted regarding Matthew Wong’s death. Fade to black was such an integral part of my fashion forum experiences way back when. And just seeing his art (which i really like), reading about the bond w his mom, his mental struggles growing up, really just such a gut punch. Idk why

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
because I think one of the things we tend to forget that online people are still people. We sometimes tend to not think of this place as a community and the interactions we have here as somehow less meaningful than "real life" connections or whatever.

But when you hear about someone's death, even if they were just in the periphery of your experiences within the community, it really humanizes the words and thoughts that were typed and makes you sort of take a step back and realize that at the end of the day we're all still very, very human and that these conversations and interactions we have here are meaningful interactions between one human to another.

I am very thankful for the friendships I have made here. So very thankful. I only saw Matthew's fits — I can't say that I ever interacted with the guy or read anything that I recall from it, but it's still a loss for our community. It's one less person in the world that you might have had some mutual connection with if you ever ran into them ("oh, hey, I post/used to post on Styleforum too!"). It's doubly painful to hear that it was a suicide and that he had such good things on the horizon for him, it's even more painful to hear his mom's relationship with him, and most of all, it's so hard to read that he had a number of conditions that just made things so hard. These things aren't reflected in posts.

Be good to each other.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to see Fok try to replicate those paintings. I don't think he can. I do think he thinks he can. Lol

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is actually a more ambiguous question than it sounds. For example the structure, let alone the contextual jokes of Ulysses are probably mostly lost on a modern audience even of literature undergraduates [1] as the curricula have shifted away from the classical texts that used to underpin a "liberal arts" education (there are only so many hours in the year).

[1] although T S Eliot's own, contemporary review of the work complains of exactly that...

i have no idea what you're blathering about

ps - i'm an english professor

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
How do you mean? Technically, what he did doesn't look that hard. I would bet good money that I could make pretty decent copies of his work - I have enough training in acrylics, oil, and water colors to do that. All of the great masters can also be copied, though it would take a considerably better artist or art technician than I to make a convincing copy/forgery.

However, representational or other technical proficiency is not a particularly good indicator of artistic merit, especially in the modern period.

I think that some of his work is interesting.

He was a consistent pain in my butt. I ultimately had to make the call and ban his account - even after a number of time outs, after which he always promised to be civil with other posters, his posting would always deteriorate into attacks on other posters.

He was also apparently a promising young artist with some pretty deep issues. Just goes to show that people are complicated. And regardless of anything else, it's always tragic when someone dies young, and even moreso when its by their own hand.

The second half of this post is really ******* ******, inconsiderate, and tactless, Fok. And that's after giving a pass for the first half.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to see Fok try to replicate those paintings. I don't think he can. I do think he thinks he can. Lol
lol. I rise to a challenge, but not that easily. Maybe challenge me to a fight outside Uniqlo. The technical aspects of painting are not that hard. Anyone who has adequate training can do it, some better, some worse. I would say that I'm somewhere in the middle, but probably need to brush up on some my skills. My point was that "anyone can do that" in a strictly technical sense is not particularly relevant, and has even less relevance in non-representational art.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The second half of this post is really ******* ******, inconsiderate, and tactless, Fok. And that's after giving a pass for the first half.
I think that you are misreading my post.
I'll reprhase:
1) The technical aspects of painting are not particularly relevant in critiquing art, especially non-representational art.
2) The guy was a pain in ******, but he was a human being, and his loss is felt.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But your point isn't relevant or necessary. That's the issue. It didn't ever need to be said.

And it's such an old man thing to say.
Read it in context. It was in response to @skeen7908 's question, which I chose to take at face value, questioning whether anyone could have made those paintings. To just dismiss that type of question with one sentence takedowns is lazy and stupid, (imo, of course.) I feel that it needed to be said.

Honestly, I don't see what's that controversial about my statement. There are plenty of extremely convincing forgeries of the great masters floating around, and many more that could fool the vast majority of the population, myself included. That doesn't at all detract from the work of those masters.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdsakrta