• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Cord Question

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between 8 wale and 14 wale cords. (Not Cordarounds.) I know cords by default are casual, but is there a correlation between the formality level in the number of wales? Finer the wale, the more formal or vice-versa??

Finally, what about cuff's on flat-front cords???
devil.gif

mrwiz

Reaction score
I believe the finer the wale, the more formal the pant, but I can't envision a scenario where, for example, 14-wale would be appropriate but 8-wale would not. It really should just come down to what width you prefer.

Cuffs are usually a bad idea on cords altogether, since the fabric is already quite heavy and thick and the legs should hang properly without the added weight.

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zarathustra
I am trying to decide between 8 wale and 14 wale cords. (Not Cordarounds.) I know cords by default are casual, but is there a correlation between the formality level in the number of wales? Finer the wale, the more formal or vice-versa??

Finally, what about cuff's on flat-front cords???
devil.gif

I cuff all my trousers (I don't wear jeans nor a tux). Most of my cords are either fine wale or 'extra' fine wale however, I do have one pair of thick wale cords and if I had it to do over again I would have plain bottoms - indeed I might have the cuffs removed.

I think the matter of cuffs is personal preference and that pleats vs flat front is irrelevant.

I think very fine wale cords are a tad more formal but they are still cords - a very useful trouser combined with blazers, tweed jackets, or cardigan sweaters. I don't fancy the trend toward zip fronts on the latter though.

Cheers, Jim.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the replies. I have been told before that the wider wale cords were more formal, but never saw how that could be when looking at the 4 wale cords, which i think are hideous. I wonder if it stems from the fact that summer fabrics, such as a pinwale cotton are thought of as such casual items (equivalent to Madras) that it carries over to the more luxurious winter fabrics? I just want cords to wear with my tweeds, shetland sweaters, and lambswool jackets, so in the end i don't think it matters. Methinks either wale provides the needed texture contrast. Oh and no cuffs for me.
wink.gif

JR88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JimInSoCalif

I think the matter of cuffs is personal preference

+1

and to me dependent more on aesthetics than the need to keep your pant leg hanging near the ground. I like cuffs on fine-wale cords that are cut more like traditional dress slacks.

Rolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JR88
cut more like traditional dress slacks.

Those six words, more than the wale, will determine whether your cords look casual or dressy.

I have a pair of Valentinis and a pair of Levi 514s that have fabric that looks almost identical. One pair looks good with dress shoes, the other goes well with Chucks. It all comes down to the cut.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member