• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Randolph Engineering Sunglasses Preferences

Lear

Reaction score

OK, so I found a UK bricks and mortar retailer that stocks RE (a shop called IRIS with branches near London Bridge and in Richmond). I tried on a pair of 52s and 58s, they didn't have any 55s in stock (most popular model apparently).

I'm still not sure about sizing though, my temple width is just under 130mm but my head size is nearer 59cm, which gives me conflicting advice from here: http://www.themandonstore.com/product/228/product-details.html

Also, both of the 52mm and 58mm seemed to bow a bit in the stems (arms) of the glasses and I wasn't sure if that was normal or not. Anyone?

What! I can hardly believe it. Thanks jonc. This is what SF is all about. :)

I tried just about every shop in the centre of London last year. Most hadn't heard of them. The ones that had, had replaced them years ago with American Optics, swearing that they were of the same quality.

I'll check them out

Lear

Edit: Another great independent shop for Persol and others (not Randolph) is: http://www.adamsimmonds.co.uk

jonc

Reaction score

What! I can hardly believe it. Thanks jonc. This is what SF is all about. :)

I tried just about every shop in the centre of London last year. Most hadn't heard of them. The ones that had, had replaced them years ago with American Optics, swearing that they were of the same quality.

I spent a while on google sifting through the various uk online stores for aviators with skull temples and noticed that this one has actual shops associated with it. They don't have a huge amount of stock, but I could at least try a couple on for size. Popped in again today to check sizings, I think the smallest one is fine for me (my temple measurement is around 127/130).

Ended up ordering a pair of aviators in 52mm, matt chrome + grey from mandon store. Can't wait until they arrive :)

MORTAR

Brand Representative
Reaction score
Most of our customers go for the bright chrome. However, we brought in the matte black and matte chrome on our most recent order and they are actually super cool.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Most of our customers go for the bright chrome. However, we brought in the matte black and matte chrome on our most recent order and they are actually super cool.

Just checked your site Mortar and I see you are in Houston. Will definitely stop by nexttime I'm in Montrose. Might be at cafe brazil at the weekend!

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear AO aviators in matte chrome with grey lenses.
They are bullet proof and I got them for under $50.00.
RE was a break away from the AO group (Partenopea was from Kiton).

I would save the extra dollars and just get some AO, get them online somewhere (Amazon)

jonc

Reaction score
Well I received my RE aviators in the post the other day, and I couldn't be happier with them. They seem to be quite sturdy, I'm getting use to the bayonet temples, and I'm impressed with the little maintenance kit you get.

I can post some pictures of what comes in the box if anyone's interested, it comes with a hard case, lens wiper/cloth thing, and the little kit has 4 replacement screws, 2 nose bridge pieces and a little tool that is on a keyring and unscrews to reveal a tiny Phillips head and flat head screw drivers.

meganlucy89

Reaction score
Hi, I don't suppose you guys know the exact spec of the Randolph Engineering Sunglasses worn by Robert de Niro in Taxi Driver?

I want to buy them as a gift for my boyfriend but I'm having trouble a) finding out what model they are and b) finding a UK stockist!

Many Thanks

M

jackal

Reaction score
don't you guys find the RE's to be really heavy? in comparison to my Rayban, I feel like they are a weight on my face..

handsolo

Reaction score
Polarized lenses really **** me up. Would feel differently if navigating life didn't mean interacting with an LCD every 10 minutes. For practical purposes I endorse gray because it doesn't distort color like other color lenses do. I see browns, oranges, fades, etc. as primarily fashion glasses and not really good tools. I like tools. That's why I share my thoughts with y'all.

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bright Chrome - Skull - Grey Mirror in Concorde

Will it work or be too much FU for a pair of sunglasses?

Last edited:

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those sunglasses that Draper wears in Mad Men are AO's.  RE was not even in business at the time the show is set.  AO has been making that model since 1958.  There is a small difference that I can see as I own AO's and have been wearing AO's for several years.  Check out http://www.AOEyewearOnline.com to see.

This is a great forum.

Draper is wearing REs on the show. You do understand that the show is set in the 60s / 70s, but is shot in the new century, right?

GreenwichGuy

Reaction score
I just got a pair of American Optical Pilots (55mm, silver, grey polarized, bayonet). Love the look, 52mm might have been better to get the Don Draper look which looks undersized.

One thing I don't like (least for now) is that the frame doesn't wrap around the face much like the thicker sports frames I'm used to. So there's some sun getting to my eyes from the top and through the sides which still causes me to squint at times.

Is there another brand/model that looks like the AO pilots / Randolph Aviators that have a bit more wrap around the face frame?

EDIT: I might have found my own answer... what do you guys think of the AO Flight Gear II aviators? Looks to have some better wrap around the face to it. Still open to other suggestions!

Last edited:

RZach

Reaction score
I'd been in the non-urgent market for a new pair of sunglasses for almost a year, and RE had been one of the brands on my radar. When they showed up on Gilt last Friday I bit the bullet. 52mm aviator, bright chrome, gray polarized, bayonet temple. $99 (significant discount from retail considering the polarized lenses, although they can be had on ebay for close to the same price).

The 52mm was the only option in the aviator frame and I was worried it would be too small. It is a little small, but I don't think too small, particularly given current styles (see Don Draper elsewhere in this thread). I was also a little nervous about the bayonet temples, but I don't mind them and I think will like them as long as they don't start losing their spring.

Pics below, both so people can see them in the wild, and let me know if they think they're too small.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads