• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Randolph Engineering Sunglasses Preferences

obiter dictum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deandbn
she had a mouth full of teeth after that.
At first I thought you had punched the poor woman, but googling fortunately explained this strange expression.

the real thing - Raybans
I don't have enough experience to say one is better than the other, I'm sure Ray-Bans are great though, but that's a load of bollocks.

Reaction score
they look a bit odd in pictures imo. like your eyes are far apart or you have a ********. the strange thing is i've tried them and they fit great.

bright chrome, bayonet, mirror for me.

or

gold, skull, tan

ktrp

Reaction score
I own both RE and ray ban. I've generally been happy with both, but there's no question my RE ones have a much better finish and look better then my ray bans. Obviously YMMV.

I can't remember which size I have, but in retrospect wished I'd gone one size larger. There are some instructions on the RE site for measuring your face, I tried to follow the instructions carefully. What I'd recommend _actually_ doing is figuring out how wide you want them to be, and pretend that was your measurement.

You could also check and see if there is a local distributor, there is one in my city right near the airport (I guess a shop targetting commercial pilots). It's pretty inconvenient for me to get to.

I have gold/skull/mirror crew chief btw. Actually I think when I ordered, crew chief only came in one size. And my head is a little on the wide side.

The Tall Englishman

Reaction score
I won a pair of Randolph sunglasses about 10 years ago. I was told that they were used as standard in the american airforce and that they last for ever, lifetime guarantee etc. etc.

Well after a couple of months the gold plating started peeling off so at the next airshow i waited for the sales woman to start splabbing about lasting forever and showed her mine with the gold off at 1 year. Needless to say, she had a mouth full of teeth after that.

So do yourself a favour and go buy the real thing - Raybans - logo and all - I am sure you will be pleased!

I've owned REs since the mid eighties. The original pair were brilliant quality and lasted a long long time. Unfortunately, they got stolen from my brothers car in 1995. I subsequently bought two pairs which have suffered from the gold laking and from the metal inside the plastic temple-mounts going green. Hurrumph! However, I really do rate the lenses prefer to where them to anything else I have.

Lear

Reaction score
If you live in the UK, don't waste your time looking for RE in the shops. There was a time when Silvermans (Mile End) stocked them. Unfortunately, no more. Bought my last pair at Biggin Hill many years ago. The logo was a tiny but tasteful 'Randolph Engineering'. Now it;s a massive RE

I much prefer the matte chrome finish, which is understated and hard wearing. My gold finished pair are looking a little worn. Great sunglasses that can be worn with suit or jeans. Nice for those of us with large heads, who don't want the thug look associated with some square sunglasses. Size 58mm fits me fine across the face, and I don't have to worry about temple length; the bayonet arms are quite forgiving. Most other sunglasses barely reach back over my ears.

I only wish I'd bought the gray polarized, instead of ordinary gray.

Lear

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
Bumping a kinda old thread... I'm interested in a pair of Randolph Engineering/American Opticals as a beater I can put a prescription on. Does anyone know any stores that I can try a pair on so I know if I want 52, 55 or 57mm? I'm in the SF/Bay Area

I believe Optical Underground in SF downtown carries AO. Revolver will carry RE. You should call them first, however, to make sure I'm right before you go off to those stores.

Originally Posted by MadAboutPlaid
Are the REs made in the USA? I can't find the answer on their website.

They are for the most part, but some components aren't made in the US anymore, such as nosepads, so they're sourced from another country (I believe China?).

spider52

Reaction score
Rayban doesn't hold a candle to RE in any category. I find it hard to believe anybody can even compare the two. Quality = RE without a doubt.

I'm sure the decision has been made re: the OP, but the bright chrome is overkill. Matte Chrome, Grey Lense is a great combo. Gunmetal + tan is sweet too.

There was also a question about where they're made... They are manufactured in Randolph Massachusetts.

Don't go the polarized route if you plan on wearing them under a motorcycle helmet.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Mine are matte silver with gray lenses. Transition well from jeans to suits. Got them to wear under my helmet but they are useless on a motorbike as above 50 mph the wind blows under them and makes your eyes stream till you are almost blind.

Randolph wearers include Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver, Viper in Top Gun, Andy Garcia in Internal Affairs and Don Draper in Mad Men.

Lear

Reaction score
Perfect combinations:

Matte chrome + gray glass

Gold frame + AGX glass

Bright chrome must be a fairly recent option.

Lear

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spider52
Rayban doesn't hold a candle to RE in any category. I find it hard to believe anybody can even compare the two. Quality = RE without a doubt.

I'm sure the decision has been made re: the OP, but the bright chrome is overkill. Matte Chrome, Grey Lense is a great combo. Gunmetal + tan is sweet too.

There was also a question about where they're made... They are manufactured in Randolph Massachusetts.

Don't go the polarized route if you plan on wearing them under a motorcycle helmet.

I like the bright chrome + polarized route
blush.gif

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

stormin10

Reaction score
What do you guys think would be a good combination for outdoor stuff? I am looking for something to wear when biking, and boating etc. I HATE oakley and the like and thought these would probably be a good alternative. I looked through their website and their seem to be a lot of possible combinations.
Also sizing is a big issue for me, I mean the only sunglasses I really am wearing are either my Lancier ls001 or my Ps004 and they are both 58mm but everyone here seems to be thinking smaller?

This is what I was leaning towards chrome + cable + grey polarized glass
Any suggestions are welcome

15DollarMan

Reaction score

What do you guys think would be a good combination for outdoor stuff? I am looking for something to wear when biking, and boating etc. I HATE oakley and the like and thought these would probably be a good alternative. I looked through their website and their seem to be a lot of possible combinations.
Also sizing is a big issue for me, I mean the only sunglasses I really am wearing are either my Lancier ls001 or my Ps004 and they are both 58mm but everyone here seems to be thinking smaller?

This is what I was leaning towards chrome + cable + grey polarized glass
Any suggestions are welcome

As you know, what makes Polarized lenses so great (glare reduction) also makes them a bad choice for motorcycle/bicycle riding as you will no longer be able to see that slick patch up ahead (oil, water, ice). For the same reason they are a great choice around water/watersports as you can know easily see through the surface and are not bothered by the constant reflections on the water.

Maybe you need to get two pairs?

Last edited:

jonc

Reaction score
Are there any UK based retailers (online or otherwise) that carry the aviators with a skull temple?

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Mandon store in the UK has a pretty good selection of RE but only the concorde is carried with skull. I'm sure if you ask them for an aviator with skull they might be able to include one with their next shipment.

jonc

Reaction score
OK, so I found a UK bricks and mortar retailer that stocks RE (a shop called IRIS with branches near London Bridge and in Richmond). I tried on a pair of 52s and 58s, they didn't have any 55s in stock (most popular model apparently).

I'm still not sure about sizing though, my temple width is just under 130mm but my head size is nearer 59cm, which gives me conflicting advice from here: http://www.themandonstore.com/product/228/product-details.html

Also, both of the 52mm and 58mm seemed to bow a bit in the stems (arms) of the glasses and I wasn't sure if that was normal or not. Anyone?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads