• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For those of you who have sent their shoes in for re-soling how long did it take for Rancourt to send you the shipping invoice? It's been two weeks almost for me and they haven't charged my credit card yet either. 

This may or may not be related but I was on the original run for the Porter boot and it shipped a week early in December. My exchange was supposed to ship this month but has been pushed to early February. I did get an email notification of the delay but my point is that they may be a little busier than anticipated.

Nik Telford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This may or may not be related but I was on the original run for the Porter boot and it shipped a week early in December. My exchange was supposed to ship this month but has been pushed to early February. I did get an email notification of the delay but my point is that they may be a little busier than anticipated.
Yeah I got it resolved. For whatever reason even though the order went through and I got a confirmation email I was never charged and never notified there was an issue with my order. I just had to redo it for some reason. Who knows. Its all fixed now anyway.

Scott A

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster. I wanted to solicit some advice on what leather I should pick for an upcoming order. I'm looking to create a camp moc that's as light and breathable as possible. I love chromexcel, but it's too oily and hot for me in the warmer months.

I posed this question to Rancourt customer service and Mike responded with a recommendation of either unlined kudu suede or unlined Essex.

Do you guys agree? What would you say is the lightest, airiest leather Rancourt offers? Thanks in advance for your replies!

And just for fun, here's a pic of some Eastland Made in Maine ranger mocs (made by Rancourt, I'm pretty positive) made of chromexcel and what the product description calls Gridwax Army Duck canvas for the toe plug. I've worn these hundreds of times, and they just get better.

Last edited:

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster. I wanted to solicit some advice on what leather I should pick for an upcoming order. I'm looking to create a camp moc that's as light and breathable as possible. I love chromexcel, but it's too oily and hot for me in the warmer months.

I posed this question to Rancourt customer service and Mike responded with a recommendation of either unlined kudu suede or unlined Essex.

Do you guys agree? What would you say is the lightest, airiest leather Rancourt offers? Thanks in advance for your replies!

And just for fun, here's a pic of some Eastland Made in Maine ranger mocs (made by Rancourt, I'm pretty positive) made of chromexcel and what the product description calls Gridwax Army Duck canvas for the toe plug. I've worn these hundreds of times, and they just get better.

The Kudu is dope. And if they can do it unlined that's cool too.

Repello suede is very light, but needs to be lined. You could always get one of their cool lining though. Like the Casco Horsehide, the goatskin suede (New option), and I think I got my suede rangers with deerskin.

I have the Casco in my Court Classics and its really comfortable.

Scott A

Reaction score

The Kudu is dope. And if they can do it unlined that's cool too.

Repello suede is very light, but needs to be lined. You could always get one of their cool lining though. Like the Casco Horsehide, the goatskin suede (New option), and I think I got my suede rangers with deerskin.

I have the Casco in my Court Classics and its really comfortable.

Thanks! I'm leaning towards the kudu, and they can indeed do it unlined.

fairlynerdy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair in unlined kudu and wear them without socks in the summer. Recommended. The kudu is incredible stuff and very soft.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Scott A I'll third the Kudu. Super soft, super durable, great unlined and cool wearing. I've got camp mocs in it.

All that being said I think the reason why mine are cool wearing is that the unlined Kudu doesn't seem to last too tightly. It's not so much that they've stretch, but that my standard size in this pair fits much looser than other leathers. Which is in all a good thing IMO for wearing them in the summer without socks. I think any really tightly fitted pair of leather shoes is going to get a bit clammy in the summer.

Now, it's possible that my pair are just a little off. Not sure if other people have the same experience with unlined Kudu.

I reaaaaallllly wish Rancourt would offer this in a brown tone. I would pick up another pair of handsewns in a minute. I know it's out there. Not sure why they only offer the grey.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Scott A I'll third the Kudu. Super soft, super durable, great unlined and cool wearing. I've got camp mocs in it.

All that being said I think the reason why mine are cool wearing is that the unlined Kudu doesn't seem to last too tightly. It's not so much that they've stretch, but that my standard size in this pair fits much looser than other leathers. Which is in all a good thing IMO for wearing them in the summer without socks. I think any really tightly fitted pair of leather shoes is going to get a bit clammy in the summer.

Now, it's possible that my pair are just a little off. Not sure if other people have the same experience with unlined Kudu.

I reaaaaallllly wish Rancourt would offer this in a brown tone. I would pick up another pair of handsewns in a minute. I know it's out there. Not sure why they only offer the grey.

To my eye, it looks brown. Maybe because I've got brown laces. It def photographs grey though.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

To my eye, it looks brown. Maybe because I've got brown laces. It def photographs grey though.

They call it flint Kudu, don't they? I always read that as meaning gray To me it's a definite gray tone with maybe some brown or green in it depending on the light.

I have definitely seen more certainly brown colors of it. Stuff more in the snuff tone range.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They call it flint Kudu, don't they? I always read that as meaning gray To me it's a definite gray tone with maybe some brown or green in it depending on the light.

I have definitely seen more certainly brown colors of it. Stuff more in the snuff tone range.

Yeah, your're right, they call it flint and i take that to mean grey too. I'm just saying the example I have appears more brown, than grey, to me.

Scott A

Reaction score

As far as I'm concerned, the looseness you mention would be a big selling point. I was nervous about going with my normal size but not being able to count on the stretch of cxl.

As for the color, my hope is that with a dark brown camp sole and dark brown laces the gray will kind of work as if it were a brown in terms of versatility.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

As far as I'm concerned, the looseness you mention would be a big selling point. I was nervous about going with my normal size but not being able to count on the stretch of cxl.

As for the color, my hope is that with a dark brown camp sole and dark brown laces the gray will kind of work as if it were a brown in terms of versatility.

I think you'll do well with it.

gatszu

Reaction score
Cross post from the Alden & AE threads.

PSA: Before I send these shell size 32 belts (top and bottom) to rancourt, anyone interested in them? The shell is really smooth and the finish is really good. I decided to go with the Kreis belts instead. Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariashgerman