• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Smitty2k1

Reaction score
Does Rancourt have a store at their factory in Lewiston, ME? I'm going to be there this summer for my fiance's class reunion and am going to need an excuse to skip some activities.

fairlynerdy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For $270 it's worth considering. For the full price of $395, I think its not worth the price in terms of quality of materials and construction. (Leather sole not as nice as you see from other makers close to that price, fiberboard insole feels cheap to me, stitching on upper leaves something to be desired, IMO)

P.S. I saw Rancourt at pop-up flea this past weekend. Was a lot of $125 seconds that were hard to pass up. It was a cool event overall. Sorry, I didn't take any pics.

If Rancourt used better insoles, I would buy a lot more shoes from them. I've come to appreciate the feel and comfort of a thick, quality leather insole and don't see myself buying from makers that don't use them except for "specialty" shoes (e.g. boat shoes).

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does Rancourt have a store at their factory in Lewiston, ME? I'm going to be there this summer for my fiance's class reunion and am going to need an excuse to skip some activities.

Yes, they do.
If Rancourt used better insoles, I would buy a lot more shoes from them. I've come to appreciate the feel and comfort of a thick, quality leather insole and don't see myself buying from makers that don't use them except for "specialty" shoes (e.g. boat shoes).
This.

metals37

Reaction score
This has kept me from buying any of the non-boat shoes from them as well. It's sad to me that they invest in nice upper leathers and good sole materials, but then cheap way out on the insoles. I cannot imagine it's that huge of a cost savings either.

Nik Telford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This has kept me from buying any of the non-boat shoes from them as well. It's sad to me that they invest in nice upper leathers and good sole materials, but then cheap way out on the insoles. I cannot imagine it's that huge of a cost savings either.
I think they'll use a full length insole instead of a half one if you request it. I don't recall if there is an upcharge to it though. It's been a while so I may be misremembering.

metals37

Reaction score
I think they'll use a full length insole instead of a half one if you request it. I don't recall if there is an upcharge to it though. It's been a while so I may be misremembering.
It's the "fiberboard" that I have an issue with. I cannot imagine paying nearly $400 for a pair of shoes with cardboard insoles. How much more would it cost them to use a leather (actual leather, not leatherboard) insole? How much are they saving by putting a paper product in there instead?

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's the "fiberboard" that I have an issue with. I cannot imagine paying nearly $400 for a pair of shoes with cardboard insoles. How much more would it cost them to use a leather (actual leather, not leatherboard) insole? How much are they saving by putting a paper product in there instead?

Yeah, but if you consider it with steel-string music playing in the background, it almost seems like it's a good thing!
vimeo_logo.png

Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Porter's arrived today. I like them but sadly the fit doesn't work. Ordered an 8.E and changed at the last minute to an 8.5D. Should have stuck with the E-width. Here's a couple of pic's......

Last edited:

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my frame of reference is usually Alden and i thought the finish and feel were on par with my Alden cigars. I could see that they looked small so i was very careful when trying them on. I didnt take any steps so i cant comment on the effect of fiberboard. The aesthetics were great and i am disappointed to have to return them. Fortunately rancourt says they will have my replacement in a few weeks.

Last edited:

marcusman

Reaction score
If you have the time, could you post some more pics of your porter boot? I'm on the fence on these bc I missed the sale price and the price is pretty expensive at regular price...

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you have the time, could you post some more pics of your porter boot? I'm on the fence on these bc I missed the sale price and the price is pretty expensive at regular price...

Absolutely. I tried to attach 5 images but for some reason it would only include the one. Ill add a few more later this evening. I got mine when they were $100 off and they took another 10% off for signing up for email. At slightly less than $600, it was an easy call for me and one that i dont regret.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry to hear they don't fit. That's disappointing. But they are taking these back and making a pair in another size for you? That's pretty great.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry to hear they don't fit. That's disappointing. But they are taking these back and making a pair in another size for you? That's pretty great.

Thats what they told me when i spoke with them this afternoon. He also indicated that i would have my new pair 2-3 weeks after my returns passed inspection. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Unrelated, a pair of plain toe cigar bal's on aberdeen is as close to perfection as it gets. I cannot believe they are available at the price you are requesting. They wont last very long.

marcusman

Reaction score

Absolutely. I tried to attach 5 images but for some reason it would only include the one. Ill add a few more later this evening. I got mine when they were $100 off and they took another 10% off for signing up for email. At slightly less than $600, it was an easy call for me and one that i dont regret.

Thanks so much! I definitely would have gotten a pair at that price...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads