• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Bavo

Reaction score
Ringing in 2023 in some Baxters. Happy New Year!
DDD0191A-3FEB-46F2-9BB1-4842C33C878F.jpeg

Hellraysaz

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of Baxter Boots back in August with a shipping estimate of December 8th. They shipped December 9th.

FWIW my august crowdfunding order still has not shipped. Rancourt customer support had said to wait at least another 2-3 weeks in mid-December.

Wait and see.

DG123

Reaction score
I had a similar issues to you and did not want to size down because I was not optimistic it would work. So I tried a different model in the same last to see if it made a difference. I went with (now multiple) Eastports in Bulldog leather. The Bulldog does not stretch as much and I find that the pinch stitching reduces excess volume ever so slightly -- even in the heel. Those have been great for me.

I've now tried a size 13B Eastport and the fit is good, so thanks again for the suggestion.
If you've worn a bull dog leather Eastport and a chromexcel Beef Roll in the same size/width, is there for you a significant fit difference ?

Garrister

Reaction score
I've now tried a size 13B Eastport and the fit is good, so thanks again for the suggestion.
If you've worn a bull dog leather Eastport and a chromexcel Beef Roll in the same size/width, is there for you a significant fit difference ?
The Eastport fit a little snugger around the heel and the Bulldog does not stretch as much as CXL. So if you can one that fits out of the box it will continue to fit throughout the life of the shoe. The Beef Roll was a slightly roomer fit all the way around for me. I think you really want a snug CXL fit out of the box because it will stretch over time. If its loose out of the box it does not portend well. Glad it worked out for you -- sounds like you went up a size and down a width? That is an interesting experiment.

DG123

Reaction score
. Glad it worked out for you -- sounds like you went up a size and down a width? That is an interesting experiment.

Longer length while at the same time more narrow in width used to be a common way to properly fit shoes. This method allows for toe room while at the same time securing the ball and instep areas of the foot.
However these days manufacturers have discontinued producing the AA, A, B, C, D, E, EE, EEE, EEEE full range of widths which enabled truly proper fit.

Canadianguy

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’ve got a pair of the shell pinch pennies and I’m finding the left shoe a bit snug in the width/strap. They don’t seem to be loosening up much with wear so at this point I’m considering either sending them back to rancourt for stretching or some kind of diy method. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks

Kohntarkosz

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’ve got a pair of the shell pinch pennies and I’m finding the left shoe a bit snug in the width/strap. They don’t seem to be loosening up much with wear so at this point I’m considering either sending them back to rancourt for stretching or some kind of diy method. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks
You could try buying your own shoe stretcher. I have a shoe one, and a boot one. I've had mixed luck with them on various types of shoes and leathers (I have really wide feet). Shell doesn't stretch much though.

Canadianguy

Reaction score
You could try buying your own shoe stretcher. I have a shoe one, and a boot one. I've had mixed luck with them on various types of shoes and leathers (I have really wide feet). Shell doesn't stretch much though.

Thanks for the tip. I might very well try that although I’m afraid of destroying the shoe!

Garrister

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I might very well try that although I’m afraid of destroying the shoe!
Be careful with shell. It can rip easier than other leathers. I would suggest applying a moderate heat to the shoe with something like a space heater to make the leather as soft and pliable before stretching the shoe -- slowly and with patience. Conditioning the leather before stretching may help as well.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

I would start by determining whether your issue is pressure across the strap (ie. instep room) or width. This will affect what approach you want to take for stretching. It is possible to stretch shell a little bit. However, the edge of the strap where it crosses from the tongue to the side can be a weak spot for potential tears (probably the most common spot on shell loafers).

DG123

Reaction score

On the interior lining of the "too tight area" I suggest applying a softener such as Venetian Shoe Cream or Bick 4 or a cream product with beeswax. Also stuff the loafer with a couple of pair of rolled up socks or rag (s) or crumpled up paper so that pressure is applied (for a few days) to the area where the loafer fits you too tight.

Last edited:

Canadianguy

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight everyone, that’s very helpful. I think I will attempt to stretch at home, proceeding with appropriate caution.

BAK

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight everyone, that’s very helpful. I think I will attempt to stretch at home, proceeding with appropriate caution.
You shouldn't really need the creams and all of that, although it could't hurt if you wanted to condition the exterior shell. Ideally you want to get the interior somewhat dampened, so for best results use some sort of shoe stretcher spray such as this (spray it on the interior, not the exterior). That's what cobblers typically use in conjunction with the actual stretching device. I've never stretched shell before but I've had plenty of luck stretching calf shoes with the spray + stretcher method. Spray, insert stretcher and stretch to whatever extent you feel is safe (because it's shell I'd start with minimal stretching), and then let it sit with the stretcher inside overnight.

Garrister

Reaction score
The Rancourt factory is humming. Quoted delivery is now 10 to 12 weeks (up from 6 to 8 weeks a few months ago -- which was bumped from 4 to 6 weeks about a year ago).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads