• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My unglazed, unfinished shell cordovan Ranger Mocs arrived yesterday. I’m very happy with the results:

276166BD-9D74-4C82-AD6B-75585A515990.jpeg
349560EE-F92B-4AC6-9C42-1A44643EEC30.jpeg
702A6D8A-FB12-4B4D-94DA-FD9D94D84B21.jpeg

Next I need to swap out the laces for some shorter, flat waxed ones.

Luscombe

Reaction score
My unglazed, unfinished shell cordovan Ranger Mocs arrived yesterday. I’m very happy with the results:

View attachment 1547068 View attachment 1547069 View attachment 1547070

Next I need to swap out the laces for some shorter, flat waxed ones.
I am on the bubble about a pair of Shell rangers and need sizing help.

How do these fit compared to the same size/width in a CXL Ranger?
I know the shell lasting is a challenge for Rancourt and I am curious if the are looser or tighter than the same size in a CXL.

Here is my challenge.
My feet are an 11 to my knuckle and 10.5 to the end of my toe.
I have 3 pair of the Rangers in CXL 11B that are super comfortable, flex where they should but the upper 1/4s touch when tied.
I have a pair of 10.5B Northeast, Virginia leather with a crepe sole. The width is perfect but they flex across my instep and are painful, I can not wear them.

Sizing down 1/2 size for me to allow the CXL stretch doesn't work for my instep.

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know the shell lasting is a challenge for Rancourt and I am curious if the are looser or tighter than the same size in a CXL.

Here is my challenge.
I have 3 pair of the Rangers in CXL 11B that are super comfortable, flex where they should but the upper 1/4s touch when tied.
I have a pair of 10.5B Northeast, Virginia leather with a crepe sole. The width is perfect but they flex across my instep and are painful, I can not wear them.

Sizing down 1/2 size for me to allow the CXL stretch doesn't work for my instep.
I'd get the size that works for you in other leathers and add a sockliner if they're too roomy.

postjack

Reaction score
hey all! yet another sizing question.

i measure (brannock) 11E on one foot, 11.5D on the other. in December i picked up a pair of beefroll penny mocs in natural CXL size 10.5E with the intention of wearing them sockless. they were super tight when i first put them on, but being CXL they loosened up tremendously in short order. now they are comfortable, pretty much perfect sockless or with thin dress socks. But when wearing the shoes I can see a bulge where my knuckle is poking out, and even a slight bulge at my pinky toe, indicating to me that the width and maybe length of these shoes would not work in a stiffer leather. Lengthwise they seem alright, i have some space in front of my big toe but only a little bit of space in front of toes 3 and 4.

but now i'm considering a Chandler Longwing, maybe in calfskin, maybe even in shell, and i know that neither will be as forgiving as the CXL loafers in terms of width. should i got 10.5EE, or maybe even 11EE?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Here is my challenge.

I'd get the size that works for you in other leathers and add a sockliner if they're too roomy.

I'd echo @ajd578 and suggest going with the same size. I've got a couple pair of Ranger Mocs in CXL and a bunch in shell cordovan. All are the same size. I've never experienced enough stretch in any of my CXL shoes or boots (from any maker) to justify buying them in a smaller size.

Luscombe

Reaction score
Thanks Gentlemen for your comments.
I will plan on sizing them as 11B with full sock liners, unlined Shell.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

mscb

Reaction score
Any idea on the Harrison Boot if the sole is slippery under wet conditions?
How rugged is it?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Luscombe

Reaction score
Hey,
We need 28 more guys to order the Byron Flint Kudu boots to ensure I get my pair.
Let's go!
$235 for those boots, that's an insane deal.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've not tried any of their lasts but was going to go TTS. So this is good to hear as I have a high instep as well. Even the Alden LHS, I take TTS instead of the typically suggested 1/2 down. Although 1/2 down is not terrible, TTS does feel better.
Did you end up pulling the trigger here? I take LHS tts and was trying to think about what to do here.

ronscuba

Reaction score
Crowdfunding begins again
I thought crowdfunding was for new or test models ? These are existing models. Matter of fact, I purchased a few weeks ago at full price and received an email production estimate is March. I should contact them and ask if I will get a credit to the crowded funded price if my model meets the quota.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics