• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

DG123

Reaction score
Somewhere between an 8 - 9 occasionally a wide depending on the shoe.
Which Rancourt model and size length/width did you buy that did not give you a proper fit?
And, was the fit issue too short, long, wide, narrow ?

bde

Reaction score
How do the camp mocs fit? I wear a 9.5 A in the Van last from Alden. I measured my foot with their paper from the website and it said I was a 9.5 C. Do the camp mocs run tight?

DG123

Reaction score
How do the camp mocs fit? I wear a 9.5 A in the Van last from Alden. I measured my foot with their paper from the website and it said I was a 9.5 C. Do the camp mocs run tight?

If you have worn other Alden shoes-boots-Lasts for those was your fit also size 9.5A ?

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
Received my replacement size 9.0D beefroll loafers today.

Happy to say full size down from my normal size 10 was the way to go- snug with thin socks, no heel slippage, big toe right at the top of the toe box so length is perfect. I’m certain the cxl will stretch to be an absolutely perfect fit after a few wears

All in all, very pleased with Rancourt from a quality of craftsmanship and customer service perspective

These loafers were 40% off and Rancourt paid for return shipping of my original size 9.5 pair and shipped a replacement pair at no additional cost within a week.

I previously bought a couple of belts from Rancourt but these were my first shoes. I definitely will be buying the beefroll loafers in another color now that I have my size dialed

Happy to support a company like Rancourt who does such a great job

DG123

Reaction score
Received my replacement size 9.0D beefroll loafers today.

Happy to say full size down from my normal size 10 was the way to go- snug with thin socks, no heel slippage, big toe right at the top of the toe box so length is perfect. I’m certain the cxl will stretch to be an absolutely perfect fit after a few wears

All in all, very pleased with Rancourt from a quality of craftsmanship and customer service perspective

These loafers were 40% off and Rancourt paid for return shipping of my original size 9.5 pair and shipped a replacement pair at no additional cost within a week.

I previously bought a couple of belts from Rancourt but these were my first shoes. I definitely will be buying the beefroll loafers in another color now that I have my size dialed

Happy to support a company like Rancourt who does such a great job

Are you certain the 9D is not too small of a size? Please don't count on stretching to produce a proper fit, especially for the length. If your big toe is at the end of the shoe the shoe is too small. And a bit of heel slip is desired for a loafer shoe, not so much that the heel comes all the way out of the shoe, but a little bit of heel slip is a good thing,

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
Are you certain the 9D is not too small of a size? Please don't count on stretching to produce a proper fit, especially for the length. If your big toe is at the end of the shoe the shoe is too small. And a bit of heel slip is desired for a loafer shoe, not so much that the heel comes all the way out of the shoe, but a little bit of heel slip is a good thing,
I'd like to echo this concern. This really sounds like a shoe that you quickly find is too small. You see this almost constantly on Reddit -- "I like it snug, this is snug, it will stretch I'm sure," and then blammo two weeks later it's on the resale thread.

People go half size down for heritage brands and mocs and unstructured shoes and such a lot, no foul there, but one full size down from Brannock is almost always a mistake.

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score

It’s not too small. They are less snug than the 9.5 cxl loafers I got from Quoddy two years ago and those stretched to be great. 9.5 from Rancourt was huge- my foot was swimming even with medium weight socks

Shoe sizing is all over the place. A size 10 in Adidas is perfect for me. Lange ski boots, I’m a 10.

Quoddy I find to be very close to Adidas and I have several pairs in 10. Loafers I went down to 9.5 per their recommendation and they were super tight at first but given the cxl stretch it was the right call in the long run. Rancourt are definitely bigger. 9.5, I would have never worn unless I was wearing LlBean boot socks

Last edited:

Garrister

Reaction score
It’s not too small. They are less snug than the 9.5 cxl loafers I got from Quoddy two years ago and those stretched to be great. 9.5 from Rancourt was huge- my foot was swimming even with medium weight socks
Out of curiosity, what is your brannock measurement? As for fit, unlined CXL is very forgiving. If you can get your foot into the shoe and have about a half to a quarter inch from the top of the shoe (i.e., no toe rubbing), you are fine. The other key issue to watch for on loafers is heel slip. But if all those issues check off, all that is left to do is enjoy your shoes!

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what is your brannock measurement? As for fit, unlined CXL is very forgiving. If you can get your foot into the shoe and have about a half to a quarter inch from the top of the shoe (i.e., no toe rubbing), you are fine. The other key issue to watch for on loafers is heel slip. But if all those issues check off, all that is left to do is enjoy your shoes!
I don’t know what my Brannock size is.

My default size for shoes is 10. Adidas 10 is perfect for me. Quoddy 10- 4 pairs, 9.5– 1 pair (loafers). Clarks wallabees and desert boots, 9.5. LLBean boots (unlined)- 9.0. Vans-10.

Garrister

Reaction score
I don’t know what my Brannock size is.

My default size for shoes is 10. Adidas 10 is perfect for me. Quoddy 10- 4 pairs, 9.5– 1 pair (loafers). Clarks wallabees and desert boots, 9.5. LLBean boots (unlined)- 9.0. Vans-10.
Makes sense. Going down a full size from your sneaker/trainer size is not atypical at all. For other Rancourts (like the Eastport or Ranger Moc) you may need to go a half size up from the 9.0 beefrolls because those do run a little more generous Rancourt wise.

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
Makes sense. Going down a full size from your sneaker/trainer size is not atypical at all. For other Rancourts (like the Eastport or Ranger Moc) you may need to go a half size up from the 9.0 beefrolls because those do run a little more generous Rancourt wise.
The prime determinant of whether a shoe fits is heel to ball length, not ‘how small can I jam it in expecting it to stretch,’ so this still feels like winging it.

But it’s all speculative without a Brannock and I agree one size down from trainers is often accurate for handsewns.

Garrister

Reaction score
The prime determinant of whether a shoe fits is heel to ball length, not ‘how small can I jam it in expecting it to stretch,’ so this still feels like winging it.

But it’s all speculative without a Brannock and I agree one size down from trainers is often accurate for handsewns.
Sure ... that is why I was curious. Like I said a few posts ago, brannock is an objective benchmark to estimate the fit of a shoe. One's Nike size is not. So I completely agree with you. With just a few other bits of additional information you can pretty narrow down the proper size of a shoe for a complete stranger on the internet ... if you know brannock size and the shoe (which, in the case of Rancourt, I usually do).

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
Sure ... that is why I was curious. Like I said a few posts ago, brannock is an objective benchmark to estimate the fit of a shoe. One's Nike size is not. So I completely agree with you. With just a few other bits of additional information you can pretty narrow down the proper size of a shoe for a complete stranger on the internet ... if you know brannock size and the shoe (which, in the case of Rancourt, I usually do).
Oh sure, I agree with you. Apologies if my tone seemed sterner than I meant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads