• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

mrfixit

Reaction score
Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I had overlooked that model. It's a nice shoe but I still prefer the simpler look of non-pebble leather and the slimmer profile of the thin leather sole. That said, why do you think this is a better value than the Alden?

Nonetheless, this model also serves to highlight the pricing premium between custom and ready-made.

i'd probably go with the alden, but you could get the gilman and have a cobbler replace the sole for you for much less than $150 and probably with a better leather sole than what rancourt would use. $400 for a camp moc is crazy.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it possible the up charge is so steep because they have add the midsole relative to the camp sole? Agree though that's a big up charge and would put me off.

No way, that Sherman with the RLH has a midsole and is $305. (And that's with more premium materials, such as the RLH and American Bison.)

Their demand must really be THAT good.

I would think their cost to produce a camp moc on leather sole is like $50-$75.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No way, that Sherman with the RLH has a midsole and is $305.  (And that's with more premium materials, such as the RLH and American Bison.)

Their demand must really be THAT good.

I would think their cost to produce a camp moc on leather sole is like $50-$75.

I think it's more of a PITA factor

I asked them a couple times about putting a camp moc sole on a shoe with an existing midsole and got ignored. I suspect they just don't want to make changes like that

related, I'm about to do a premium refurbish by adding the Shaker sole onto my shell venetian loafer

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
related, I'm about to do a premium refurbish by adding the Shaker sole onto my shell venetian loafer
That will be dope!

Just this fall they put a RLH sole on a boot for me that normally has a vibram christy, and I didn't even get hit with the full up-charge, just a bump for the materials.

chuckb

Reaction score
@Portland Dry Goods about how much is the custom upcharge when ordering through you? If it's close, I'd just as soon do that. Thinking of a bison penny loafer on RLH sole.

Portland Dry Goods

Reaction score

@Portland Dry Goods
 about how much is the custom upcharge when ordering through you? If it's close, I'd just as soon do that. Thinking of a bison penny loafer on RLH sole. 

Actually we haven't done custom for a year or two. it just so happens that we're in talks about bringing the program back to some degree, but I don't know what pricing will look like, or when exactly this will start up.

I will say our bison mocc at 355 would easily be 400+ as a MTO product. Partially this is due to the RLH sole, Bison Leather, and leather lining, which all add some luxury to the shoe, on top of the "1 at a time" production process, which is obviously less efficient than making a dozen or more at a time.

I'll keep you posted on official details (I'm excited to have quite a few developments to discuss in the future).

PS: We find bison tends to stretch quite a bit if it's unlined. it could be worth the money to line them up.

GSG

Reaction score

Is it possible the up charge is so steep because they have add the midsole relative to the camp sole? Agree though that's a big up charge and would put me off.

Maybe a portion is due to that. But still, for example, you would see a $100 upcharge if you were to custom order a boat shoe with the classic rubber sole.

marcusman

Reaction score
Was looking for some sizing advice...the 115 Last, is this considered TTS. I read through this forum and it seems that is the concensus. But the lastest offering of LWBs by Taylor and Stitch (by rancourt on the 115 last) recommended sizing down 1/2 normal size. Could anyone that has done that chime in? Thnxs!

frankmartin

Reaction score
I am currently in the market searching for a pair of camp-mocs, my only requirement is that I want a leather sole instead of the traditional rubber. I inquired Rancourt about the cost for such a shoe and was a bit surprised by the high dollar amount of their estimate. Let me explain:

- Rancourt’s Gillman model, a standard unlined camp-moc with a rubber sole, goes for $250:

http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/men-s/camp-mocs/gilman-camp-moc.html

- Rancourt’s Boothbay loafer, a lined, suede camp-moc with a leather sole, goes for $320:

http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/men-s/camp-mocs/boothbay-loafer.html

However, I was quoted $400 for my special request. How could there be a $150 upcharge just to add a leather sole to a standard Gillman? Is the Company basically telling me not to bother them with my custom order? Is there anything I am missing? I cannot seem to rationalize such a premium for what I believe to be a fairly simple modification.

For the moment, seems I will be picking Alden’s Cape Cod camp-moc (despite the inner lining) which is a better value given the lower price and immediate availability.

http://www.shermanbrothers.com/product.php?ItemId=1000000164&ProductId=29910

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

If you go into the custom shoe configurator at the Rancourt site, the cheapest custom you can get is $395. All of the moccasin construction shoes (ie, not boots) are in the $395 to $425 range.

It sounds like "custom" = $400 to me rather than a $150 upcharge. I know it's semantics, but I'd bet that's the case.

Did you try to customize the Boothbay instead? I bet they quote $400.

kennyg75

Reaction score
Was looking for some sizing advice...the 115 Last, is this considered TTS. I read through this forum and it seems that is the concensus. But the lastest offering of LWBs by Taylor and Stitch (by rancourt on the 115 last) recommended sizing down 1/2 normal size. Could anyone that has done that chime in? Thnxs!
I was confused by that too. the 115, while longer than the John Last, is significantly more narrow. I can't imagine anyone sizing down. I'm considering going up to an E width of the 115 last for a next purchase. Anyone else find this to be true?

loxo

Reaction score
I was confused by that too. the 115, while longer than the John Last, is significantly more narrow. I can't imagine anyone sizing down. I'm considering going up to an E width of the 115 last for a next purchase. Anyone else find this to be true?
I wear the same size in both, which incidentally is also my Brannock size. The 115 is indeed narrower and (on boots at least) has a lower instep than the John last. From my dealings directly with Rancourt, they suggest taking your same size in every last they offer.

eljlakers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3-yr-old Natty CXL Rancourt ranger mocs. Love that caramel color.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do folks think about the new limited camden derby that just dropped?
Not really into it, personally.

For Rancourt, I stick with handsewns (on Reltex sole where appropriate).

Anything else and I'd turn to someone who presents a better value.

eljlakers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not really into it, personally.

For Rancourt, I stick with handsewns (on Reltex sole where appropriate).

Anything else and I'd turn to someone who presents a better value.

Agree, at their price point for non handsewns, I find other options more appealing aesthetically. Though it seems like the high toe shape on their boots and bluchers has been lowered a bit. That bulbous toe always made it a no-go for me.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ainsurance