• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

kellte2

Reaction score

I had been keeping an eye on the Rancourt X Frank Clegg briefcase for about 8 months (before they re-released it with new leathers), waiting to find the right time and money pick it up. When Rancourt emailed out a 15% coupon for accessories over the weekend I seized the opportunity. My previous (and first) leather briefcase was from Custom Hide. The Custom Hide bag is nice in its own right and is solidly constructed but is so heavy and bulky that it is nearly unusable on a daily basis. There was also an issue with the finishing process with the leather and the dye from the bag was transferring to my pants (and ruining them). So the Custom Hide briefcase got shelved after only a couple of months of use. anyway- about the RxFC briefcase: I am really impressed with the craftsmanship, which I guess I should have expected coming from Rancourt and the venerable Frank Clegg. I am not used to the leather they used, which I guess has more of a "break" and creases more than I imagined. It leaves some panels with creases inconsistent to the rest. For example, the leather panels on the upper quarter of the bag are more heavily creased on one side than the other. I imagine this is a natural variation in the leathers used and that with use, the whole bag will crease in areas and look quite uniform. I'm probably just being a little OCD because it's something I just bought. Anyone with more experience in using leather briefcases, feel free to chime in on their age. In any case, the leather is very soft, very light, and by contrast is about 1/3 the weight compared to Custom Hide. Actually, the RxFC bag is lighter than it looks, so I'm very optimistic about daily use. The RxFC bag is also visually striking, with hidden seems and a slim profile, which give it a sleek silhouette. The stitched handles give the bag a variance in the aesthetic and if I understand the website correctly, is Rancourt's nod to their handsewn work. I am slightly worried that the stitches might come loose, but in the hand, they feel pretty solid and they offer a nice tactile feeling when carried. It feels nerdy, but as long as we're all here talking about clothes on a message board, I want to mention how much I enjoy the zipper in particular: On an all-leather product, anything that is not leather draws focus. The zipper is really heavy duty, and like the handles, has a pleasant tactile feeling when used. I can tell some thought about the appearance and longevity of the zipper went into the choice. I also appreciate the fact that the color of the zipper matches the nickel hardware and there isn't some odd off-color variance between the elements. I am really excited about returning to using a leather briefcase, particularly one that is visually appealing and light enough to walk around all day with in New York City. I will post some "in the wild" pics after the holidays when I get back.
Not to go off the rails, but as an owner of a Lawyer's Briefcase from Frank Clegg, don't worry about creasing and/or stains. The leather will develop a beautiful patina, and as long as it isn't abused, that patina will ultimately look better than the leather you received as "new." I recall my own OCD upon receipt of my briefcase, and after exchanging some messages with Frank himself, I learned to just enjoy the natural beauty of the full grain leather no matter how it aged. Enjoy your piece and use it in good health.

loxo

Reaction score
Not to go off the rails, but as an owner of a Lawyer's Briefcase from Frank Clegg, don't worry about creasing and/or stains. The leather will develop a beautiful patina, and as long as it isn't abused, that patina will ultimately look better than the leather you received as "new." I recall my own OCD upon receipt of my briefcase, and after exchanging some messages with Frank himself, I learned to just enjoy the natural beauty of the full grain leather no matter how it aged.

Enjoy your piece and use it in good health.
That is a relief to hear. Thank you for sharing your experience with your briefcase. I have not been sure if I should be concerned or not, because other than that unknown the bag is a luxurious piece of work. Good to know it will age beautifully.

kellte2

Reaction score

That is a relief to hear. Thank you for sharing your experience with your briefcase. I have not been sure if I should be concerned or not, because other than that unknown the bag is a luxurious piece of work. Good to know it will age beautifully. 

Frank assured me that he sincerely wished that he was able to deliver the leather to his customers in a way that looked as though it had been loved for years. My bag is used daily over the last year, and while it no longer looks pristine, it certainly has developed character. I honestly expect it to last my entire career (plus frank will repair and recondition the bag at your request). Enjoy!

kellte2

Reaction score
Also...I'm still waiting on my Knox boots that I ordered from Huckberry. Anyone here order and receive those yet? Been impatiently waiting for over two months.

stylesofman

Reaction score
Not to go off the rails, but as an owner of a Lawyer's Briefcase from Frank Clegg, don't worry about creasing and/or stains. The leather will develop a beautiful patina, and as long as it isn't abused, that patina will ultimately look better than the leather you received as "new." I recall my own OCD upon receipt of my briefcase, and after exchanging some messages with Frank himself, I learned to just enjoy the natural beauty of the full grain leather no matter how it aged.

Enjoy your piece and use it in good health.

How leather changes as it ages is definitely one of the reasons I love buying it, The more you wear it, the more it grows on you

bantone

Reaction score
So I ordered the Beefroll Penny Loafers last summer in a 10.5D. To give you an idea of some of my sizes and how all over they can be:

11.5D in AE Strands
10 in Alden Barrie Last
11 in Alder Aberdeen Last
11.5 in Ascis Matflex Shoes (shoes for wrestling so they are fitted).

I have a long lean foot. In some Nikes I can wear 12s with socks easily. My loafers stretched considerably, to the point that there is full slippage if I wear no socks. I could easily get them off my foot. No show socks are a struggle. Thicker socks for winter work perfect with this though and regular socks give me minor slippage. For this reason I tend to wear these for fall/winter and being in Texas a heavy loafer like the Beefrolls aren't the most appropriate. But I would like to wear them early spring.

What do you guys recommend though for someone like experiencing slippage like this? I will show you examples

Thanks for the help guys! Gorgeous shoe BTW just wish I could get them a smidge size down :)

eljlakers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I ordered the Beefroll Penny Loafers last summer in a 10.5D.  To give you an idea of some of my sizes and how all over they can be:

11.5D in AE Strands
10 in Alden Barrie Last
11 in Alder Aberdeen Last
11.5 in Ascis Matflex Shoes (shoes for wrestling so they are fitted).

I have a long lean foot.  In some Nikes I can wear 12s with socks easily.  My loafers stretched considerably, to the point that there is full slippage if I wear no socks.  I could easily get them off my foot.  No show socks are a struggle.  Thicker socks for winter work perfect with this though and regular socks give me minor slippage.  For this reason I tend to wear these for fall/winter and being in Texas a heavy loafer like the Beefrolls aren't the most appropriate.  But I would like to wear them early spring.

What do you guys recommend though for someone like experiencing slippage like this?  I will show you examples

Thanks for the help guys! Gorgeous shoe BTW just wish I could get them a smidge size down :)

That is strange. For comparison I wear 8.5 in Barrie and take the same size in a pair of Rancourt tassel loafers (which should fit similar to your pennies). Barries in 8.5 fit me very comfortably - nearly to the point of being too roomy. My Rancourt loafers were insanely tight out of the box and though they have stretched after 18 months, they're still most comfortable sock less (which is how I usually wear them anyway). That's very curious.

eljlakers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A work from home day calls for Sashiko time!!!

reidrothchild

Reaction score
So I picked up the Rancourt saddle buffalo penny loafers made for Bill's in my normal 11.5D. This is my first experience with buffalo. Do these stretch considerably? Right out of the box they feel pretty tight across the vamp and just seem a little shorter and more narrow than my other 11.5D's. Before giving them to my brother, who has smaller feet, just wanted to check to see if it's worth trying to break them in. If they'll stretch and mold quite a bit, they could be a good summer, sockless shoe.

Portland Dry Goods

Reaction score

So I picked up the Rancourt saddle buffalo penny loafers made for Bill's in my normal 11.5D. This is my first experience with buffalo. Do these stretch considerably? Right out of the box they feel pretty tight across the vamp and just seem a little shorter and more narrow than my other 11.5D's. Before giving them to my brother, who has smaller feet, just wanted to check to see if it's worth trying to break them in. If they'll stretch and mold quite a bit, they could be a good summer, sockless shoe.

my guess is if they're unlined, they will stretch quite a bit. a coworker had a pair of bison loafers and found them stretching quite a bit. we lined our recent bison shoes mostly to prevent this.

hope yours work out!

bantone

Reaction score
That is strange. For comparison I wear 8.5 in Barrie and take the same size in a pair of Rancourt tassel loafers (which should fit similar to your pennies). Barries in 8.5 fit me very comfortably - nearly to the point of being too roomy. My Rancourt loafers were insanely tight out of the box and though they have stretched after 18 months, they're still most comfortable sock less (which is how I usually wear them anyway). That's very curious.

I kinda feel that I perhaps should have gotten them in a 10D but they may have been crazy tight. I wouldn't have known that given I was going by my other sizes though :) Maybe a sizing issue?

Maybe I will get a tongue pad or something. Wearing them with thick socks now they are real comfortable.

Last edited:

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for resoling a Venetian loafer (in tan shell) what are my best options if I'm looking for

- comfort
- durability
- low profile

?

I don't need anything formal, so obviously leather is out. I don't want foul weather applicability, so I don't think I need mini-lug.

One nice option might be the brick red camp-moc soles. Can anyone comment on the comfort/durability of those?

what would be the best crepe sole for me?

nemononame

Reaction score
Bulldog leather vs chromexcel?

Anyone had experience with both? I'm considering both a pair of ranger mocs and handsewn boots, and personally think that handsewns look their best when fresh and new so I'm looking for leather (or suede) that will show the least wear and hold their shape the best. Or what about Orion suede Cumberlands? Calf? Not into shell, fwiw.

Pics of well worn shoes appreciated.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member