• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Raincoats: Cheap out or get something stylish and/or expensive?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get something classic such as a DB belted coat. It will still be in style in 20 years. I have a BB one that is slightly better and much cheaper than my old Burberry. I wear it with everything from suits to jeans.

If you have to go "stylish" don't cheap out as it will just look... cheap.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JJ,

That "casual" raincoat looks it might as well be a $20 Walmart coat.
IF you're going to get something like that, why not just get a generic short coat off Ebay for $30?

That is what I was talking about in my OP.
If I pay a premium, there's got to be some value add.

ktrp

Reaction score
Re-evolving, you live somewhere relatively cool in the winter don't you?

I have an olive DB trench bought when I was 19 or so that might be okay if it weren't a size too large.

I like black ... but I don't think I'd get black on a trench in the future. Raincoats are primarily three-season (spring/summer/fall) coats where I live, so I'd more likely spring for beige, which is a classic summer raincoat look.

I prefer single breasted as well, but I'd think about it carefully before buying.

I think long term, I need two - a beige summer raincoat, and a dark waterproof coat with insulation for the just-above-zero winter days. Perhaps something in storm system?

I believe those macintosh coats, which look fabulous, are completely rubberized and hence don't breath at all. I'm told they are horrific to wear in the summer.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dressed2the9s

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Update: I ended up going with a single breasted, nylon LL Bean raincoat.
Got it for a great price so it was harder to justify going into the $100+ range.
Thanks for the idea, guys.

Good choice. I'm investing in a Burberry trench (Brit model) coat in a camel color. Its classic, iconic and its something I can wear with my RL Black Label suit or just jeans and a t-shirt.

Most importantly, it gets the job done and looks cool and classic.

http://us.burberry.com/store/menswea...u-37603081001/

Quarks

Reaction score
That is very nice. But I would make do without the chest pocket & logo fixture on the arm.

Originally Posted by GoldenTribe
This water-resistant (90% cotton, 10% polyurethane) Moncler Gamme Bleu unlined topcoat was on eBay about six months ago -- for $800 -- and I've regretted not buying it ever since. It had the same cool metal closures on the rear vents and the sleeve cuffs.

[using pic from Yoox where I think it cost even more]

k6HRV.gif

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update: I ended up going with a single breasted, nylon LL Bean raincoat.
Got it for a great price so it was harder to justify going into the $100+ range.
Thanks for the idea, guys.

pics?

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update: I ended up going with a single breasted, nylon LL Bean raincoat. Got it for a great price so it was harder to justify going into the $100+ range. Thanks for the idea, guys.
Srsly? This one? Did you read the fit/shapelessness comments? Of course you did. What am I thinking?
AZRW93AANSJY53DDHZ9R.jpg

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I think that's a fine coat as long as you got it in Navy. I wouldn't go very expensive for a coat that's sole purpose is to be abused by the elements.

swb120

Reaction score
Excellent advice. You can find a lovely BB or Burberry (or underappreciated Aquascutum) on ebay for under $100, espec. a single-breasted raincoat. A well-made one will never go out of style and will last more than a decade, if cared for. A stylish one will be out of style in a few years and will ultimately prove a waste of money.

Originally Posted by Patek
Get something classic such as a DB belted coat. It will still be in style in 20 years. I have a BB one that is slightly better and much cheaper than my old Burberry. I wear it with everything from suits to jeans.

If you have to go "stylish" don't cheap out as it will just look... cheap.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe
This water-resistant (90% cotton, 10% polyurethane) Moncler Gamme Bleu unlined topcoat was on eBay about six months ago -- for $800 -- and I've regretted not buying it ever since. It had the same cool metal closures on the rear vents and the sleeve cuffs. [using pic from Yoox where I think it cost even more]
k6HRV.gif

You need some medals to go with it.... and some form of hat
ron%20chown%20police%20uniform.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads