• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

R.I.P. to a decade of excess

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
The worst thing I can possibly think of doing to a musician is to force them to sign with EMI.

You a pistols fan?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
They got off easy. I'm thinking about the hundreds of thousands of dollars and pounds EMI owe friends of mine dating back to the 70s.

They need to get in line, and EMI is far from the only label to do this.

69clyde

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
I have my own theories and it relates to the personification of extreme wealth, gaudy jewelry and a lifestyle of jets, platinum rings from hiphop/rap artists. Couple that with the young urban market desiring and objectifying that ideal, so they try at all lengths to one-up each other (including fakes, huge labels/brand whoring, etc). Then when the rappers see that normal people are getting what they have, they have to one-up it to a more ridiculous level. They always have to be above the consumer. Who had the biggest house, the bigger car, the bigger wheels, the more diamonds in their watch. Started in the mid 90s with the "Mafioso" type of hiphop where all rappers were bragging about Versace. Corporate America jumped on this, coined the term "bling" and marketed it to america...only to attempt to get more and more ridiculous in order for the hordes of consumers to lust after artificially created markets. This bled more and more into american culture as time went on and rap became more mainstream. Add to that the sudden influx of Dot-Com wealth, then Real Estate wealth, who lusted after these lifestyles and material objects...then the huge McMansions of poorly constructed, uniform and compartmentalized lifestyles...you had a lot of Nuevo Riche who thought that buying "X" would buy them some class.
Didn't you mean "nouveau riche"?

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This being my second recession, I remember how the commentators were saying the decadence of the 1980s would never return during the recession of 1991-93, well it came back in spades in the late 1990s.

So we are in a new period of austerity, this too shall pass.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrome_dout
All that $$$ people spent to get really expensive goods, only to be fake and shallow on the inside. I wonder how all the gold diggers out there will fare on their own.

I think the the Gold Diggers will be asking, " Would you like the soup or salad with your meal?"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads