• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question on proper OCBD sleeve length

vegancrabcakes

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am sorry if this topic has been beaten to death many times before. OCBDs in blue, white, and blue/white stripes are probably one of my favorite and most worn clothing items, and I have tried several brands including Drake's, J. Press, Uniqlo, and Brooks Brothers. One thing that I've never quite been sure about is the sleeve length on these shirts.

For instance, I have been measured at J. Press and the store manager recommended a 15/32 OCBD as my ideal size, a size which I was reasonably happy with wearing on its own. I also wear the 15.5 neck Drake's OCBD (no sleeve lengths were available), and the staff at the Armoury NYC assured me that the fit for these shirts was spot-on for my body. However lately, I noticed that the sleeves on my J Press shirts always seemed to be a bit too short when worn with a sports jacket (that is, no cuff was showing on my sports coats)

Today, I started measuring my shirts with a tape measure and comparing them with each other. I was surprised to discover that the shirt sleeve (measured from the tip of the shoulder seam to the end of the cuff) of my J Press is a full 3-4 inches shorter than my Drake's OCBD. Comparing measurements and fit on my body, I realized the Drake's shirt has a rather long sleeve, but a relatively narrow cuff, so when buttoned, the end of the cuff rests approximately on the same spot on my arm as the J Press shirt. However, when I bend or raise my arms, the J Press shirt rides up my forearm, whereas the extra length on the Drake's shirt and tightness of the cuff seems to keep the position of the cuff relatively stationary.

So I am confused as to how the OCBD sleeves are supposed fit. On the Drake's shirt, the position on the cuff seems set by the relatively narrow cuff resting against my hand. On the J Press shirt, the cuff is loose and the shirt sleeve's position is set by the amount of fabric available along the sleeve. Both stores told me that I had the proper fit. Is this a matter of subjective taste, and how do you prefer your OCBD sleeves to sit on your hands/arms/body? Thank you!

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way you describe your Drake's shirt is exactly how a dress shirt sleeve should fit, not the J Press sleeve. This is true for all dress shirts, not just OCBDs.

There has to be some extra length in the sleeve such that the sleeve does not ride up under your jacket cuff when you bend or raise your arm (within reason). On the other hand the cuff should be tight enough that the end of the sleeve stays at the base of your hand with your arm by your side.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads