• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about a navy grenadine tie

iatrogenic

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Getting ready to order my first navy grenadine tie. Since I think its going to be a staple, I wanted to get it right.

I am thinking about ordering from Sam Hober. David has been amazing, explaining to me my different options. I was initially thinking of a 7 fold unlined tie however David suggested I go with a 6 fold lined tie.
I wanted to see if anyone had any opinions.

Also, I will be paying approximately $120 + shipping I believe for the tie. I know that I saw a Drakes navy grenadine for $150 and I know that pants has them for around the same price. Any thoughts?

Look forward to hearing from you all. David has been great so I will likely order some ties from him but I wanted to get this first one right.

-Shaun

Renton

Reaction score
I can only comment on David's ties, but my lined 6 fold navy fina has been a workhorse since I bought it.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Iatrogenic,

I think that you are leaving something important out of the equation:

Our Sam Hober ties are custom made which means that we make our ties very slowly and carefully - you won't find this in ready made ties.

You will find luxury fabrics but not the same construction quality.

Also a $150 grenadine from Drakes will typically be a 3-fold not a 6-fold.

Also our 4-fold ties have exactly the same construction quality as our 6-folds - you may want to consider a 4-fold at $80 unless you know already that you prefer teh heavier feeling/drape of a 6-fold - which is a nice luxury but needed.

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What part didn't you understand?? I know I forgot to add "be" between will and better. OP started with Hober and then added Henry Carter, so I gave him other suggestions.

So, is your confusion with the additional suggestions or the comment on quality? Would you like to add "for the price"?

Last edited:

iatrogenic

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the great feedback. Probably going to get a tie from both Hober and Henry Carter because both have been very helpful. Also look forward to trying out the other brands in the future.

-Shaun

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
You have Hober, Panta and Vanda-all will better quality (IMHO) than the Drake's

While I haven't had the privilege of handling Hober, Panta & Vanda, I am tired of people calling Drake's a rip-off shop. There are far more expensive ties out there than Drake's (Isaia, Kiton, Ricci, Brioni to name a few).

Also, Hober operates out of the far east where everything is considerably cheaper, even though he always protests otherwise. Panta ain't so cheap. Vanda is a tiny operation and ain't so cheap either.

Drake's has plenty of options that aren't offered by any other tie manufacturer. (Shantung, novelty pocket squares etc...)

Last edited:

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

While I haven't had the privilege of handling Hober, Panta & Vanda, I am tired of people calling Drake's a rip-off shop. There are far more expensive ties out there than Drake's (Isaia, Kiton, Ricci, Brioni to name a few).

Also, Hober operates out of the far east where everything is considerably cheaper, even though he always protests otherwise. Panta ain't so cheap. Vanda is a tiny operation and ain't so cheap either.

Drake's has plenty of options that aren't offered by any other tie manufacturer. (Shantung, novelty pocket squares etc...)

I appreciate the comment dave. I didn't call Drake's a rip-off. Out of the all the ties I have, I believe Drake's dominate my collection. Your comment provides a little more content than a blanket "wut." OP asked for opinions, my comment wasn't a condemnation of Drake's I love their stuff compared to many of the more expensive options.

Last edited:

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I appreciate the comment dave. I didn't call Drake's a rip-off. Out of the all the ties I have, I believe Drake's dominate my collection. Your comment provides a little more content than a blanket "wut." OP asked for opinions, my comment wasn't a condemnation of Drake's I love their stuff compared to many of the more expensive options.

I understand that you like Drake's and I wasn't attacking you.

There is another thread on the go at the moment about a guy that wants to go into the tie business and asked what price he should sell them at, he doesn't realize half the things that he has to factor into that cost.

I am 100% sure that Drake's pays far more in bills and manpower than Hober, London is incredibly expensive, especially where Drake's is located and as I said before Panta and Vanda aren't cheap options either.

(I could be talking rubbish now, but IMHO, luxury brands charge what they do for exclusivity, in certain cases they could cost the same amount to produce as other manufacturers but they charge more to establish their brand as targeting a certain clientele. To call your brand luxury and charge $15 a tie, no-one will take you seriously.)

Edit: If F. Corbera wanted he could transform that "wut?" into a informative post that would blow me out of the water, until he does, I'll take that as a compliment! Thanks!

Last edited:

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great. :fistbump: I just didn't want this to turn into something else. I am sure that F. Corbera knows more about ties than me. But, more insight would have guided my response and it wasn't an attack on him either. IMHO (In My Humble Opinion).

Now we can go back to assisting the OP-sorry to thread jack.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads